Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys,

I'm so excited! I'm having surgery in 8 hours..

My story is a little different from most as I have just had my last big meal. I was allowed to eat up to 10pm tonight and no pre-surgery diet. It's midnight here.

I'm in Amman,Jordan, coming from London, met my surgeon for the first time today. Also had all my pre-op tests. this afternoon. Everything was quick and smooth and easy.

Tomorrow morning surgery. He said it would take half an hour 40 minutes. I was considering either mini gastric bypass or sleeve and he convinced me to go for the sleeve, even though it's much cheaper.

Surgery is cheap and my surgeon seems fantastic. This is all he does and pretty laid back. Originally I was going to stay in hospital only one night but I asked him whether I could stay longer as I'm alone in this country , no companion and he said I could until I fly back to London at no extra charge, and they will be my companion :-)

The only problem is there is no Wifi in the hospital..

I'm so looking forward to it and I'm so positive!!! I just know its going to work! Well... I'm 90% sure :-) I guess it's a lot to do with what I do.. and I'm pretty determined.

Good night!

Hi guys,

I'm so excited! I'm having surgery in 8 hours..

My story is a little different from most as I have just had my last big meal. I was allowed to eat up to 10pm tonight and no pre-surgery diet. It's midnight here.

I'm in Amman,Jordan, coming from London, met my surgeon for the first time today. Also had all my pre-op tests. this afternoon. Everything was quick and smooth and easy.

Tomorrow morning surgery. He said it would take half an hour 40 minutes. I was considering either mini gastric bypass or sleeve and he convinced me to go for the sleeve, even though it's much cheaper.

Surgery is cheap and my surgeon seems fantastic. This is all he does and pretty laid back. Originally I was going to stay in hospital only one night but I asked him whether I could stay longer as I'm alone in this country , no companion and he said I could until I fly back to London at no extra charge, and they will be my companion :-)

The only problem is there is no Wifi in the hospital..

I'm so looking forward to it and I'm so positive!!! I just know its going to work! Well... I'm 90% sure :-) I guess it's a lot to do with what I do.. and I'm pretty determined.

Good night!

I wish you a speedy recovery. Glad your so positive. I truley believe this is helpful. See you on the skinny side!!

Wish you the best of luck and please post after so we know you are well

Congratulations!

I have had two previous cosmetic surgeries in which I was a total nervous wreck the night before. So bad that the doc called a small Rx of valium in. Literally sick with nerves.

This time, however, I was just excited! This is much much more than a cosmetic procedure, but I think I feel as if this is a necessary decision for my health vs. plain ol' vanity.

For the most part I have been alone for recovery (I'm 5 days post-op) and it has been fine. I still have soreness at the incision sites. I have to be careful about bending over and protecting my stomach from cats and kids. Uncomfortableness, maybe some would perceive it as painful, gas under my breasts. That was gone this morning. I can sleep on both sides now.

The biggest thing has been counting fluids. I am measuring out 4 oz. of broth in tiny tupperware containers. I keep a cup of Water with me which holds 12 oz. There is another mug with 14 oz that I keep in the kitchen with little 1 oz cups. And there is Jello. I continually cycle through the tiny little containers all day long.

Another thing...I see you are a low bmi like myself. My doctor said surgery would be easier, recovery would be easier, immediate results would be seen quicker, and long-term results better. I battled myself for a year on the ideas of "Am I too small for this? Is this too drastic?". The hard science is there to back up the benefits for people who do wls between 30-35 bmi.

Good Luck tomorrow!! You will be seriously groggy the entire day. Day two will be when you feel like you are really starting to move forward.

Thank you for the encouragement Butterfly! And congratulations to YOU! I'm so glad you are doing so well. It's reassuring..

On the thought of whether we are big enough.. I battled since I was a child, my mum put me on a diet when I was 6 years old for the first time... by today's standards I was almost skinny. Anyway, I have no doubt and neither did my surgeon that I need this surgery despite being a lightweight of an obese person. Sounds funny. I managed to put on almost 5 kilograms in the last 14 days. I eat normal, but did not deny myself anything. I could be 150kg in a few years, and it's only because up to now I did a lot of sports that I have not already become super heavy already. And getting there I would withdraw and became depressed. I stopped dancing, I stopped tennis, I almost stopped sex.. No way I want my life to sail by without me being on board!

And on the speed of the weight loss, I hope that you are right and we'll loose quickly, but I don't think I will, as my metabolic rate is very low, I have ruined it with the millions of diets I have had over the years and diet pills and things. But it doesn't matter how fast the access will go, it will go for sure! The good thing is being a lower BMI, even if it's slow, it shouldn't take too long.

I'll be looking out for your posts.

Take care!

Congratulations!

I have had two previous cosmetic surgeries in which I was a total nervous wreck the night before. So bad that the doc called a small Rx of valium in. Literally sick with nerves.

This time, however, I was just excited! This is much much more than a cosmetic procedure, but I think I feel as if this is a necessary decision for my health vs. plain ol' vanity.

For the most part I have been alone for recovery (I'm 5 days post-op) and it has been fine. I still have soreness at the incision sites. I have to be careful about bending over and protecting my stomach from cats and kids. Uncomfortableness, maybe some would perceive it as painful, gas under my breasts. That was gone this morning. I can sleep on both sides now.

The biggest thing has been counting fluids. I am measuring out 4 oz. of broth in tiny tupperware containers. I keep a cup of Water with me which holds 12 oz. There is another mug with 14 oz that I keep in the kitchen with little 1 oz cups. And there is Jello. I continually cycle through the tiny little containers all day long.

Another thing...I see you are a low bmi like myself. My doctor said surgery would be easier, recovery would be easier, immediate results would be seen quicker, and long-term results better. I battled myself for a year on the ideas of "Am I too small for this? Is this too drastic?". The hard science is there to back up the benefits for people who do wls between 30-35 bmi.

Good Luck tomorrow!! You will be seriously groggy the entire day. Day two will be when you feel like you are really starting to move forward.

Good luck on your surgery! I'm a little curious why you went to Jordan for the surgery... was it the cost? Brave of you to go on your own too!

Hi,

yes had my surgery this morning, there were 2 reasons why I came to Jordan, the main one is that no-one would do it for me in Europe, I did ask around, I'm not obese enough at a BMI of 33. But I did a lot of research and it is becoming more obvious now that people with my weight can also greatly benefit from the surgery. The other reason was cost, in the UK, this type of surgery can cost up to £18,000. I paid £3,000 here. My surgeon operated on the ambassador of Saud Arabia last year, I'm pretty sure he didn't come here because of the costs..

I'm weak now and feel a bit feverish and this gas in the tummy is not pleasant to the say the least, I'm in the hospital and they seem great.

Good luck on your surgery! I'm a little curious why you went to Jordan for the surgery... was it the cost? Brave of you to go on your own too!

Hi,

yes had my surgery this morning, there were 2 reasons why I came to Jordan, the main one is that no-one would do it for me in Europe, I did ask around, I'm not obese enough at a BMI of 33. But I did a lot of research and it is becoming more obvious now that people with my weight can also greatly benefit from the surgery. The other reason was cost, in the UK, this type of surgery can cost up to £18,000. I paid £3,000 here. My surgeon operated on the ambassador of Saud Arabia last year, I'm pretty sure he didn't come here because of the costs..

I'm weak now and feel a bit feverish and this gas in the tummy is not pleasant to the say the least, I'm in the hospital and they seem great.

So glad to hear you are now on the other side! The day of surgery I was so drugged I hardly remember a thing. The second day I was sleepy and gassy. Every day gets better. Today on day 6 I feel very good...no gas, no pain, no sluggishness.

Please keep us posted!

Wishing you a speedy recovery! I was also a low bmi (34.8) and have been very pleased with my decision. I was sleeved 8 months ago and have lost 51 lbs, surpassing my surgeon's goal. 3 lbs to go to reach my personal goal. Follow your doctor's orders and you'll do just fine!

Thank you! It's good to know that feeling like this doesn't last forever :-)

Wishing you a speedy recovery! I was also a low bmi (34.8) and have been very pleased with my decision. I was sleeved 8 months ago and have lost 51 lbs, surpassing my surgeon's goal. 3 lbs to go to reach my personal goal. Follow your doctor's orders and you'll do just fine!

You see I'm not quite awake yet, what I meant to say here is that you've done so well ! hope I'll follow you!

Thank you! It's good to know that feeling like this doesn't last forever :-)

I put this off a year ago. Got a Tummy Tuck and though I look ok, I'm still fat. I'm reconsidering this surgery and my bmi is 32. I am tired of the constant depression , the inadequacy. I am just done.

Hi Marielena,

My BMI officially was 32.4, 2 days ago when I had my surgery. I also had a Tummy Tuck a few years back and lost a lot of weight, and had to have a boob job too. Than I put all the weight back again. I did this twice in the last 5 years go down to about 130lbs and put all the weight back again. I had enough. Anyway, as it's only been 2 days (and it's not easy) I can't say whether I made the right decision, but I'm positive that it will get better very soon and I'll be able to enjoy the benefits soon. It is pretty drastic for "low BMI" people but I had to do it.

I put this off a year ago. Got a tummy tuck and though I look ok, I'm still fat. I'm reconsidering this surgery and my bmi is 32. I am tired of the constant depression , the inadequacy. I am just done.