Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Divorce rates and WLS. (link to article inside)

I would like to hear from people who intentionally finally took the WLS plunge BECAUSE they knew it would give them strength and confidence to leave an unhealthy marriage.

While this may be true I would like to know the sources used for those stats. They are not referenced. Also the grammar, spelling and sentence structure of that article was not very good. She would make a statement then support that statement with a sentence beginning in However which does not make sense

Sorry to be picky. Her info may be true but not a well written article! Guess I had strict nuns back in school.

i too would question the authenticity of the research, but on another note, my hubs and i were both thin when we married and turned into food buddies together.

we are both now ready to change our lives so that we can enjoy the second half of our lives together. he doesn't qualify for surgery but will be embarking in his own journey right along with me.

we are excited that these changes-his program and my surgery- will bring us closer, allow us to do more together (can't do many things now because i am chronically short of breath from being so overweight), and allow us to be more active with our kids.

We have a wonderful parish church where the priest has you stand up on your anniversary and do a short vow renewal. we have had several of those, and it will take much more than a little surgery and some pounds to undo those words we promised each other before our Lord.

Edited by mi75

interesting read. I will share this article with my spouse.

No sources are given. The divorce rate in general is high. I divorced because my husband was a man whore. That was 15 years ago. I was normal sized then. Gained a lot of weight with the divorce and depression. He has over the years tried to get back with me many times. I'm sure he is dying now that I am normal sized again. Haha. Sucks to be him.

When my husband and I met I was overweight but since we have been married I have put on a lot of weight, He loves me anyway. He has had a lot of serious health issues that we got through together. When I first talked about having WLS he was not totally on board because he was worried about the risks but after our first visit at the Bariatric center he felt much better. He has been right by my side through it all,I had RNY on 6/24, and I do not see that changing.

My wonderful hubby met me at 115 lbs seventeen years ago. When we married almost eleven years ago, I had already put on some weight. Now that I'm getting back to a normal weight, we can't WAIT to start dating other people. LoL

Edited by HotButterFly

I am in several other support groups and there are a lot of people that have gotten divorced. Although I am sure that there are many reasons that led to that point. My husband and I have been together for 20 years since I was 15(not overweight) and he was 16, my mom had to take custody of him when we were younger and I still made sure to talk with my husband about the possibility since our relationship will change because I am changing. Even though deep down we both know we have a strong marriage.

I hope it makes my marriage stronger. My husband loves to ride motorcycles and he's really excited that I will be able to ride along. Because right now there's no way at 347 lbs. My surgery date is July 16 th. So by spring I hope to be ready to ride some. Can't wait !!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches