Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going solo and self pay in mexico

Hi I'm planning on going to Mexico solo has anyone else went alone to have the sleeve done and if so was there or is there any concerns I should worry about being alone for the surgery

Thanks

Hi and welcome. I am not traveling alone, but I've heard that a lot of people do and they do just fine. Depends on your personal situation and how comfortable you are with traveling alone, medical procedures, etc. One thing to consider is getting a surgery buddy. If you know your date and/or surgeon, you could always post in the forum to see if there's anyone else that will be having surgery around that time in the same place. That way you won't feel completely alone. Also, some of the agencies that schedule for patients have coordinators that will either travel with you (you have to buy their plane ticket) or will meet you at the hospital/clinic. So there are some options for you.

C.

I went to Mexico alone last August. It truly is a personal decision, but for me was very good. I did not have any adverse reactions to surgery and had a very good experience. I never felt alone or unsafe. There were several others who had traveled alone that I became friends with and a couple that I still talk to regularly. Read other people's experiences with the surgery facility, doctor and hotel that you are considering. And just like the other poster said, see if you can find a surgery buddy who is going to be there at the same time.

Ok thanks ladies I have travel alone I do feel confident of being alone an when I choose which dr I feel comfortable with doing my surgery I will seek a buddy I hope to have done the end of July

I will be having surgery in Tijuana on July 22nd. My husband will be traveling with me, but if you happen to pick my surgeon around that time, it would be nice to meet you. Keep us posted on your research. There's a lot of good information here and most people are really nice and want to help. Good luck!

C.

I'll be going to Tijuana alone for surgery on August 4th. I think there will be advantages to going solo - like being able to rest and have some quiet post-op time without my husband fussing round me. (He's super supportive, but I know he'll be nervous and I'd rather he wasn't being nervous in the same room!)

I'd be happy to meet up with you if our surgery date/doctor/hotel co-incide.

I went alone a couple of weeks ago. It was just fine. What I would suggest is looking at both the surgeon and coordinator for while you are down there. Also see if the Dr. you choose has an online support group, I found it very helpful and "knew" some of the folks I'd be down there with prior to getting there.

I'll just put a little plug in for Dr. Illan. His staff and coordinator are great. I was never alone (ecept in the hotel, but my sleeve sister was in the room net door). There is also a thriving online support group on Facebook.< /p>

Also heading to Tijuana solo (in early September.) Fortunately, am used to traveling by my lonesome and am fluent in Spanish. A big plus is that I've already met someone via these forums who will be there the same time!

I'm in Tijuana alone now. There's nothing to it.

I will be down there Aug. 8 with Dr. Illan. I will be traveling with my mother. You are more than welcome to hang out with us and she can look in on you, no problem.

Swan I was really hoping to go on the 4th but it just couldn't be worked out for that time frame. I will probably be arriving just after you leave :( Bummer.

Edited by Travelmego

I'm doing very well, thanks. I'm a little sore and I'm hungry but treated well. I miss my family so much and I'm bored. But all is well. My stomach feels like I've been doing ab work for days.

I'm doing very well, thanks. I'm a little sore and I'm hungry but treated well. I miss my family so much and I'm bored. But all is well. My stomach feels like I've been doing ab work for days.

Happy to know you feel okay and I'm sure you miss your family that will be a hard part for me not having family around to talk with what's goin on at the moment who done your surgery

I went alone a couple of weeks ago. It was just fine. What I would suggest is looking at both the surgeon and coordinator for while you are down there. Also see if the Dr. you choose has an online support group, I found it very helpful and "knew" some of the folks I'd be down there with prior to getting there.

I'll just put a little plug in for Dr. Illan. His staff and coordinator are great. I was never alone (ecept in the hotel, but my sleeve sister was in the room net door). There is also a thriving online support group on Facebook.< /p>

What is the name of the support group online I'm I interested