Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am finishing up my 2 week liquid diet tomorrow and will have surgery Wednesday morning. My question is what will I need to have at home for and during my recovery. All information is appreciated.

Thanks

Becky

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! Very exciting.....

Make sure that you have everything you'll need for your post op diet; Protein shakes, Clear liquids, etc. If your doctor gave your post-op prescriptions to fill, have those ready as well. Everyone responds differently after surgery, but you might want to have some Gas-X on hand, and a heating pad. You may not need either one, but if you do, you'll be glad that to have them close by.

Good luck!

I am finishing up my 2 week liquid diet tomorrow and will have surgery Wednesday morning. My question is what will I need to have at home for and during my recovery. All information is appreciated. Thanks Becky [/quote

Hey there I had my lapband Friday

GasXstrips, meds, Soups, I like mio in my Water, Popsicles-sugar free

WALK WALK WALK ..it will help the shoulder pain

I also would recommend sleeping in a recliner or having lots of pillows because it's difficult to lie down.

Good luck!!

I am finishing up my 2 week liquid diet tomorrow and will have surgery Wednesday morning. My question is what will I need to have at home for and during my recovery. All information is appreciated. Thanks Becky

Congrats.... I was banded about a month ago.. I would recommend of course the pain meds, gasX strips they dissolve in ur mouth. One thing I didn't get and sent my husband to get after surgery was Tylenol liquid. I would try and use that a couple days after surgery instead of the pain meds. And pillow, pillow, pillows... U will have lots of gas after surgery.. And u will have to sleep sitting up I had pillows all over my body..lol..we'll I should say I had lots of gas after surgery... Everyone is different.. Just remember it will all pass and you will feel much better hopefully in a week or so...I feel great now :-)... Hope that helps and good luck!!! Oh yeah and mints for some reason my breath was really bad after surgery for a couple of days..

I recommend

pain medications so you will get up and walk and move around.

ibuprophen for the headaches etc.

Soups, hot tea, Jello, and popsicles

heating pad to the shoulder or any gas pains

ice packs to incisional pain

if you get constipated Miralax

and rest the first couple of days. get in your recliner and watch some old movies but get up every hour and move around the house or your yard.

don't be embarrsed to let of gas. it just shows your intestines are now awake from anesthsia.

good luck and quick recovery to you

Hi there and congratulations -- big day is almost here! Walking cannot be overemphasized. When I woke up after surgery and felt like I needed to pee I donned a robe and headed up and down the hallway. Each time I could go a little longer so by morning I was really cruising. The walking gets everything moving again and kicks the body into healing mode. At home I just did the same: napping, walking, resting, with lots of sipping in-between. I loved my Popsicles during this time, as well as warm tea, salty broth, etc. I filled my pain medication prescription but did not use it as for me the side effects of narcotics are worse than the discomfort. I compared the pain to other things like dentistry which I hate -- I'd rather have laparoscopic surgery than a root canal, etc. Or bad cramps, so for me it wasn't so bad and also it was all for a purpose -- not like being sick or injured but getting something I really really wanted. A positive attitude really helps as well as a sense of humor. I had never been an overnight patient in a hospital before and it was a bit surreal -- the glamorous gown and booties, being wheeled on a gurney, those forms to sign, the anesthesia -- I was glad for humor. Even without pain meds I had Constipation and needed to take something at around day four. I liked having a heating pad -- soothing -- and when the incisional pain kicked up ice packs were great. For the hospital I had flip flops for walking, and I brought my own pillow, was nice to have in the car in the ride home. Best wishes for tomorrow!

things i used the most:

• percocet - i was in a lot of pain on my port side, could have been from my hernia repair.
  • crystal light. this helped encourage my sipping. i love the peach tea flavor.
  • heating pad - this helped SO much with the discomfort and helped ease some of the pain.
  • gas-x chewables. this was not because of the surgical gas, bc i didnt have any discomfort from that, when i started drinking the creamy Soups, i had a lot of gas, so that helped every night. because i wasnt giving up my one salty meal :)
  • cream of chicken Soup and golden mushroom Soup. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken flavored Protein. protizyme Peanut Butter cookie Protein. - these were what my meals consisted of for the first 7 days.
  • comfy corner in my couch. i had a nice little 'nest' in the corner of my sectional couch. I had my heating pad, a window ledge for my drinks, a couple blankets, and some extra pillows. this is where i spent most of my time the first couple of days.
  • a good series on netflix. DONT OVER DO IT. let yourself be lazy. this was the hardest for me. my sister came to visit and i had a hard time constantly asking for something, she was such a good sport tho. we watched lost and american horror story. breaking bad.. scandal.. greys anatomy.. not something you have too much interest in though, because i found myself dozing in and out a lot.

ThThank you all. The information is so helpful. For me, this is an outpatient surgery. Not too sure how I feel about that. I like the thought of being at home resting, but I also like the thought of being in a quiet hospital room. There are seven people in out home and 2 of them are very active boys - one 14yo and one 8yo. But regardless, I will be home tomorrow afternoon sometime. Hubs is going by the store tonight after work to pick up last minute things so any more suggestions would be helpful.

Well, mine was considered out patient, but i was there 23 hours. The nurse comes in every 2-3 hours, so theres no such thing as 'quiet hospital'.. i was even woken up at 3am, when i had finally gotten to sleep, to get blood work. So, dont think you're missing out on much :)

ThThank you all. The information is so helpful. For me, this is an outpatient surgery. Not too sure how I feel about that. I like the thought of being at home resting, but I also like the thought of being in a quiet hospital room. There are seven people in out home and 2 of them are very active boys - one 14yo and one 8yo. But regardless, I will be home tomorrow afternoon sometime. Hubs is going by the store tonight after work to pick up last minute things so any more suggestions would be helpful.

Well, mine was considered out patient, but i was there 23 hours. The nurse comes in every 2-3 hours, so theres no such thing as 'quiet hospital'.. i was even woken up at 3am, when i had finally gotten to sleep, to get blood work. So, dont think you're missing out on much :)

Though mine was supposed to be outpatient, they ended up keeping me overnight. YES, woke me up every couple of hours for this, that or the other thing :huh:

Edited by mrsto

Though mine was supposed to be outpatient, they ended up keeping me overnight. YES, woke me up every couple of hours for this, that or the other thing :huh:

Wow I was rushed. LolI was there at 11:30 and out by 3:30 with A 2 hour drive home. This is my 4th day after surgery and doing good

:huh:
Wow I was rushed. LolI was there at 11:30 and out by 3:30 with A 2 hour drive home. This is my 4th day after surgery and doing good

My surgery was scheduled for 11am, but they didn't take me in until closer to 3:30. I had the band with gastric plication, hernia repair and my gallbladder removed. By the time I was out of surgery, it was too late to send me home. But I'm glad they kept me, because I was pretty miserable the first night.