Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HOW LONG Will I Need to Take Prilosec/Prevacid?

I was sleeved in Mexico, so don't have a local bariatric doc. I started taking an acid-reducer like Prilosec/Prevacid (generic omeprazole) as instructed because I understand we are more likely to have too much stomach acid. Is this temporary or long-term? How long do we take this drug?

I never had acid issues in the past, so I've not been really sure what I need to look for now, how to tell if it's happening. I don't want to cause esophogeal problems, but I also don't want to take a drug forever if it's not needed.

What do your doctors tell you?

Thanx greatly!!

My doc said minimum 3 months, but I have refills for 6. I'm 3 months next week so I tested it over the weekend...I won't do that again!

Bile galore - YUCK. So back on the pills and feel great.

Do you have a PCP you can ask?

I'm prepared to take at least one dose per day for life, (cut back from 2 doses\day last month), but I had reflux to begin with. Mine was "silent" and went mis-diagnosed for 10 years. It's easy for me to know now I need the stuff because I know the night time cough I get is reflux, not asthma. Mine was finally properly diagnosed due to the pre-op EGD they did for my sleeve when they found evidence of effects of too much acid. If you're asymptomatic, I don't know of another test, besides the EGD but your regular doc might.

At my one week post op I was told to stay on the acid reducers for about a month giving the stomache time to heal with less acid.

My doctor says for the first 2 months.

Am I the only person who was not put on an antacid post-op? To be fair I am not (as of right now) having any issues with reflux. Should I be concerned that I'm going to develp acid reflx down the road?

Am I the only person who was not put on an antacid post-op? To be fair I am not (as of right now) having any issues with reflux. Should I be concerned that I'm going to develp acid reflx down the road?

I haven't had any issues either. I was told sleeve patients take it for 3 months and bypass patients take it the rest of their lives. The #1 long-term complication with sleeve surgery is stomach ulcers. I thought this was to help with that.

Initially post op, I was told I had to take acid reducer for 3 months.

After a month on rabeprazole I was not getting better, my acid reflux was getting worse.

I was switched to Nexium (esomeprazole) and this really worked for me.

My surgeon told me I should stay on it for 12 months.

Now, 6 months later, I am slowly weaning myself of it, from 1.5 days, then taking it every 2nd day, then 3rd, now every 4 days, and so far I am fine. No reflux!

I'll keep monitoring it, and I will definitely refill my repeats for possible "emergency" later, but I am hoping that I will be OK.

Everyone is different, some don't need acid reducer, some get off it 2 months later, some stay longer, few need to take it for life.

@@TxCalico

For me, the acid was burning and coming up my oesophagus, the burning would last a long time. I had couple of early morning wake-ups with choking on and coughing up vile, yellow burning acid, and this was really scary!

I also had bad acid attacks at every food phase change, until I switched to Nexium.

I did not suffer from acid before. Had a few occasions when I felt bit of acid after drinking wine or eating chocolate, but never on a daily basis prior my op.

I'm on Pepcid complete OTC since surgery. My doc said to take it for 3 months. I never had issues with reflux. He said he wants to decrease the acid by the staple line.

Note to self: I don't have to take this day all at once but rather one step, one breath and one moment at a time. I am only one person.

Edited by kiyatylese

Took it one day. No issue just hate taking meds. I was told to take it for about 6 mos. But I haven't. I don't have GERD or anything if I were having GI concerns I would take it.

I took it for about 6-8 weeks. I was on a daily dose for the first month and at my one month appt the surgeon told me to go to every other day to wean off and see if I developed any reflux. I finished off whatever I had left from my prescription and never had any problem. FWIW I had occasional reflux presurgery especially at my highest weight and when I was pregnant. I'm 68 lbs down and no problems.

For a year, maybe life. I have very bad GERD before surgery. It is really bad right now. Sleeved 10 days ago.

I was sleeved in Mexico, so don't have a local bariatric doc. I started taking an acid-reducer like Prilosec/Prevacid (generic omeprazole) as instructed because I understand we are more likely to have too much stomach acid. Is this temporary or long-term? How long do we take this drug?

I never had acid issues in the past, so I've not been really sure what I need to look for now, how to tell if it's happening. I don't want to cause esophogeal problems, but I also don't want to take a drug forever if it's not needed.

What do your doctors tell you?

Thanx greatly!!

I was prescribed one for 6 months. I quit taking it then and haven't needed it since.

Have you talked to your PCP? My understanding is that it isn't a good idea to use them long-term unless you really need them.

Thanks for this thread. My surgeon gave me a 6 month prescription for the liquid form as well. I really dislike taking it and I forget to do it at least once a week. I'll ask my surgeon if I have to keep taking it at my 3 month follow up.