Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I keep carbs at a minimum at this point?

So, at this point my diet includes Beans, soft cooked veggies, soft fruits, oat meal and potatoes. Seems like all high carb foods. How do I keep my carbs low when I have such a limited selection?!

I'm 18 days in and have only dropped a pound this week. I drink Protein Shakes but even they have a fair amount of carbs and some sugar.

Some low carb things I had at your stage...

-Dannon light n fit Greek yogurt (8 carbs)

-premier Protein chocolate shake (5 carbs...30 protein)

-cottage or ricotta cheese heated up with Classico sauce and mozzarella on top

-I never ate oatmeal or Beans, rarely fruit and could only fit a few bites of veggies. I am almost 3 months and stay below 50 carbs almost always. In a pinch I had the refried beans at Taco Bell this week which was 21 carbs in itself so I can see how hard it would be to low carb with beans, grains and fruit being your staples. Unless you are super carb sensitive like myself I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are plenty of people on here who eat what they want in moderation and do great. I am just someone who has a problem with carbs so I try and stay away if I can.

Go for Protein first, it will keep you full for much longer. Make the stuff that you are eating your snack foods in low quantity and that should do the trick. Good luck.

BTW, this is something that you will always have to be reminded to do when you get stuck.

So, at this point my diet includes Beans, soft cooked veggies, soft fruits, oat meal and potatoes. Seems like all high carb foods. How do I keep my carbs low when I have such a limited selection?!

I'm 18 days in and have only dropped a pound this week. I drink Protein shakes but even they have a fair amount of carbs and some sugar.

nectar Protein shake mix and Isopure both have high Protein and zero carbs

fruit is naturally going to have higher carbs. What I ate/eat: yoplait fat free Greek yogurt (about 1/3 of the container), cottage cheese ( I go all out and buy the large curd) Jack Links Jerky tenders ( high in salt, but I'm not going to worry- also only have 1oz at a time) the canned chicken by Tyson is GREAT and super soft. Any veggie if over cooked is great, but I was told to stat away from broccoli, peppers and lettuce until ....? I also LOVE string cheese- smoked is the best. Packed tuna... Different flavors too. I have found that going to the grocery store is beginning to be more fun, discovering foods that I can eat. Plus, I love cheese, so that helps too. You can also do thin sliced deli meats, ,, roast beef with a piece of melted provolone on it and some horseradish.... Yum. Shrimp and white fish have lots of Protein too. I also stay clear away from potatoes of any sort... Too starchy and full of carbs. Eating carbs make one crave carbs :)

Edited by fuzzymonkey

What Protein shakes are you drinking? The Syntrax nectar, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, Premier Protein, Garden of Life and Jay Robb I currently drink have less than 1g sugar and just few carbs, most of which are Fiber.

At your stage I was eating a lot of plain Chobani or Fage Greek yogurt flavored with Protein powder because the flavored yogurts usually have a lot of sugars. Adding unflavored Protein Powder to diluted, strained cream Soups and broth gave me tons of Protein all through my liquid stage and even into puréed and soft food...I just didn't have to strain them anymore. When I did eat mashed potatoes and oatmeal I added unflavored protein powder to them.

I'm drinking Pure Protein Shakes. Where do you get the unflavored stuff? That sounds like what I need.

I hate cheese of any kind unless it's melted mozzarella on pizza. Well, I do like grated parm but I could never just eat a piece of cheese or a cheese stick. The consistency makes me cringe. I can't wait for the tuna and chicken though.

Actually, Pure Protein is pretty low in sugars, so those should be fine. I've used unjury unflavored and Syntrax unflavored. I liked the Unjury better. And FYI, it's unflavored, not flavorless. whey has a taste, so you need to mix it with something else with a stronger taste (the cream Soups were great). Also, don't heat it over 140 degrees or it will denature the Protein and cause clumping (like when you pour an egg into egg drop soup).

I still use the Unjury, but I mix it in casseroles, pancake batter, soups, and even quiche to up the protein. You get Unjury from their website and I think I got the Syntrax on Amazon. GNC may have unflavored protein powders if there's one near you.