Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've pretty much maintained for the last 5-7 months at or around 8-10 lbs from goal, which I still have yet to reach. (I was once 2 lbs away).

I travel a great deal for work, so eat out a lot and don't usually deny myself much. Overall I eat somewhat healthy for the most part, even when eating out, but bad habits can sneak back in. Where I still could not tolerate certain foods at 14 months, I can now eat anything and everything with no problem. I can also eat more than I could in the past. Though I will probably get fussed at, I do drink alcohol when I want (craft beer, wine, mixed drinks), snack, don't measure food, don't count calories, don't exclude any foods, skip Breakfast, occasionally drink a few sips with meals, don't always eat enough Protein, and I never exercise. With all of that said, I am still stabilized on average around 8 lbs from goal with indulgences.

Last week I decided to regain some measure of control over my relationship with food and the bad habits that I have been allowing to become more and more a normal part of my eating habits. My first thought was a lot of fear. That I couldn't do it. That I would fail (again!). Those old fears from a lifetime don't just vanish. If I never reach "goal" I'll be ok. It isn't an end all and I don't know if I could realistically maintain it considering my lifestyle and choices. But I do want to address creeping gains. 3 lbs become 5 lbs become 6 lbs become 8 then 10.

Changes I have made are focused on protein and Fiber, small portions of lean meat and good fats (chicken, eggs, olive oil), fresh vegetables (spinach, kale, cucumbers, celery), and some fresh fruit (frozen banana slices, frozen grapes, watermelon juice), and a few random carbs (Beans, Stacy's pita chips ....yeah, I know....). So mostly protein, fiber, a very small bit of good fat, and some carbs. I also allow myself a few teaspoons of ice cream at night. Maybe two. Ben and Jerry's.

Outside of the Ben and Jerry's and pita chips, I'm averaging around 850 calories a day easily. Not saying this is good or bad or what anyone should do. I'm no nutritionist and have no medical expertise relating to proper maintenance nutrition. But I will say that it has been surprisingly easy, which would have been impossible pre-VSG. I attribute most of it to the reduction in ghrelin. The added fiber has brought on a lot of stinky gas and I'll take that any day. I am not going to eat like this every day. I plan on doing it for around 80% of the meals I eat during the month of June, with the other meals more relaxed in composition. In 3 days I've lost 1 lb, so far so good.

Just a share for anyone interested.

Hi I am only 5 months out and I fear this as well as time goes by. For now I am very strict on myself and what I eat. I am just afraid if I allow that one yummy carb I will not stop. I will be so glad when I get to my first goal of 135 at that point I will decide if I want to lose 10 more (which I know my ideal weight should be 125).

Good for you for finding what works for you. For some of us it's the all or nothing thinking that got us to the point of needing surgery. I applaud your ability to make eating in moderation work for maintenance.

Edited by Cherryhair

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches