Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Australian Bandsters Chat Thread

Welcome Melanie. You've found the right place! This site has so much information and so many different people willing to give support, that it's bewildering at first. Explore the threads, learn how to use the Search tool and you'll find the answers to just about any question you can think of and a lot that you hadn't thought of at all!

Hello Everyone.

I have been lurking for sometime now, but seeing I have a date for surgery I would say Hi .

I saw dr Copp 19th Sept,and my surgery date is the 13th Oct so I am wraped with that. I only have 19days to go and I have to see the dietitian and the psyc on the 30 Sept. So all I do now is wait.

Suzanna

Hi Suzanna,

Welcome and you have made a good choice with Dr Copps. I got banded by him on the 4th September and felt fantastic after the op. I only suffered from a sore head and I put that down to not having coffee that day and the next lol....

Sam

Hi Sam.

Did you have to go on the opti diet?

As you mentioned coffee, I thought we could not have coffee on this diet.

How long do you have to wait untill your first fill?

Questions Questions.

It is good to chat with some one that is having the same Dr.

cheers Suzanna

Hey there, welcome.

I'm being banded by Dr Copp on 29 October. i so can't wait. Just got to clear up a sore throat and sickly chest though, or it won't be going ahead on that date.

Sam, great to hear it all went so well. Good luck with the journey ahead.

Hi Sam.

Did you have to go on the opti diet?

As you mentioned coffee, I thought we could not have coffee on this diet.

How long do you have to wait untill your first fill?

Questions Questions.

It is good to chat with some one that is having the same Dr.

cheers Suzanna

Hi Suzanna,

Yes I did have to go on the opti diet as that helps the liver get rid of the fat there and they have to go behind the liver to get the band on (hence why we have to go on the opti).

No one told me that I could not take coffee, so I drank it right up to the day before the op and as you have to fast for the surgery I could not take any on the day of the op, or right after the op as they just give you apple juice or black tea. As I drink heaps of coffee I know it is bad for me but hey I have got to have one bad habit lol.... I ended up with a sore head from lack of caffine.

I go to see my doc on the 16th Oct to get my first fill would have been the week earlier but I wanted a late apointment.

I am now on the mushie stage which is porridge in the morning mince, Beans etc for lunch or dinner to get my stomach ready for the fill.

As we need to get the muscles tightened at the top of stomach so whe will recognise when we are full according to the dietician. What hospital are you going into? The reason I ask is John my darling hubby went into the Wesley and he only got broth well as he described it Water with some vegetable dipped into it to try and give it a flavour whereas, I was spoiled with apple juice and tea.

Sam

Hi Sunwyse,

Thank you and not long now until you are done

Hi Aussies!

I haven't posted on this board for ages, last time there was virtually nobody from Brisbane, but now it seems like every man and his dog are Brisbanites! Good to see!

Annie.

Hi Aussies!

I haven't posted on this board for ages, last time there was virtually nobody from Brisbane, but now it seems like every man and his dog are Brisbanites! Good to see!

Annie.

I know Annie! All these Brisbanites! I can't et over the amount of the new bandsters being banded by Dr Copp.

Congrats guys!!

I know Annie! All these Brisbanites! I can't et over the amount of the new bandsters being banded by Dr Copp.

Congrats guys!!

OMG! WHat a difference in your before and after photos..and a jog happening there as well. I just can't imagine being a normal weight. I been overweight all my life...well 13 years old onwards anyway.

I'm hoping for a band in November.

How much was the Tummy Tuck? I think I'll be needing one too...my tummy hangs down bad at the moment. :smile2: I should really start saving now and not wait until the last minute and find I don't have the cash!

The only way to get a tummy tuck on medicare or private health insurance to to get it under "scar revision". I might ask my surgeon do do a bad scar so I can get a free tummy tuck :bored:

OMG! WHat a difference in your before and after photos..and a jog happening there as well. I just can't imagine being a normal weight. I been overweight all my life...well 13 years old onwards anyway.

I'm hoping for a band in November.

How much was the Tummy Tuck? I think I'll be needing one too...my tummy hangs down bad at the moment. :tongue2: I should really start saving now and not wait until the last minute and find I don't have the cash!

The only way to get a tummy tuck on medicare or private health insurance to to get it under "scar revision". I might ask my surgeon do do a bad scar so I can get a free tummy tuck :wink2:

Thanks. November will be here in no time (so will Christmas, oh boy!) Congrats.

I can't remember off the top of my head what it cost. Less than 3k, I remember that much. My health fund paid for a good chunk as did medicare... So I don't know who told you Medicare / health funds don't pay out on them... BUt maybe things have changed in the last two years...

I got all my paperwork for my inital appointment which is this Tuesday and it can't come quick enough! The pre-op workup is huge and I was really hoping to get this done in November, the last two weeks I have annual leave. I am going to ask if I can book a date for theatre on Tuesday so I have a date set. If they have to cancel, I am sure someone else will fill the spot anyway.

The doctor does an endoscope to see what the inside of your stomach is like and you have to see the dietician, bariatric assessor (never heard of one of these before) and have bloods done and then the decsion is made by the team as to if they will go ahead and you go back to find out. So, I have 7 weeks till annual leave. I hope all this can be done in that time and I get on a theatre list.

I've been working extra shifts to get the $2000.00 I need to cover out of pocket expenses. I'm only just going to make it by November $$ wise.

I've not read about anyone else having a pre-band endoscope, although I did have one some years ago and was supposed to have a follow-up one and still haven't been...it's about 6 years + overdue :lol:

I am so nervous and so excited at the same time...meaning I can't sleep so am working extra to get through the days!

I hope I don't have to stay in hospital too long. I have epilepsy and have got neurologists approval for the band, now just waitin till Tuesday which seems weeks away even though it's not...it's 2 more sleeps, not that I am counting :)

Hello Everyone.

I have been lurking for sometime now, but seeing I have a date for surgery I would say Hi .

I saw dr Copp 19th Sept,and my surgery date is the 13th Oct so I am wraped with that. I only have 19days to go and I have to see the dietitian and the psyc on the 30 Sept. So all I do now is wait.

Suzanna

Hi Suzanna, I am Susannah! Lol! Nice to meet you.:biggrin:

Good luck with being banded. I was banded in Feb 07.

Susannah

Hi Susannah and everyone else that has repley to me :drool:

I am on day 3 of Optifast and I am trying really hard to stick with it.

I supose I will soon start to feel better.Just getting so hungry.

Just counting down the days now. Only 12days to go....:thumbup:

Suzanna

I don't have to start Optifast for another 14 days, but I'm actually going to start it in 11 days and do a modified version for a few days, so I can ease myself into it. I've done the crash start before and its not fun. For me, the headaches were the worst part. This time I'm preparing myself psychologically for it. Hopefully, the way I'm planning on doing it will cut down on the detox once I start 3 shakes a day.