Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goodness Gracious

This lapband is gonna drive me to drink. I had my fifth fill on April 30th and I thought I might finally be in the elusive green zone. I wasn't able to eat a lot and lost several pounds. I loved it. Here we are, June 4, and little by little I find I can eat more and more and the weight loss has slowed to nothing. I'm going back on June 25 for my next appt. But, because I lost several pounds just after the last fill, I know my Dr will hesitate to add anything. Even though I tell him I lost it all in the two weeks following the last fill and none since. I do find I have some days where I can eat normally and other days where I can't eat much and feel like I'm going to PB or vomit. It's all just so wishy washy. I almost wish now that I'd gone with the sleeve. I guess I'm not really asking particular questions here, I'm just frustrated. I wonder if this thing will ever get adjusted perfectly and I'll be in the green zone with steady weight loss occurring (slow loss is fine as long as it it steady). It is frustrating having a very conservative Dr because I'm a Kaiser Permanente patient and each time I see the WLS Dr, I need to get a referral approved by Kaiser. Of course, I'm reasonable and don't want him to add if it means I'll vomit. I realize I have to do some of the work and the band is just the tool but darn it, if I could control my eating, I wouldn't have needed the band in the first place. So, I just expect the band to do more for me than what it is doing right now. Thanks for listening.

I'm with you. I had a fill two weeks ago and lost 10 lbs...but now, it's slowed down to pretty much nothing and I'm hungry....:( I know 10 lbs in to weeks is nothing to snarl my nose about, but have mercy don't stop on my now...I was just enjoying it...lol

Good luck, keep me posted on what your doc says...

So by looking at your stats, you were banded in 10/13 and to-date have lost 8lbs total is that correct? So that we can maybe help you a little can you tell us what your daily calorie intake is and an example of what you're eating?

@@LapbandKAB I understand your frustration, finding that optimal level is not an easy thing but it sounds like you are in that green zone maybe even teetering in the red zone a bit.

I agree with @@enjoythetime if you can give us some idea of what your eating on the daily we might be able to give some advice to assist. What concerns me is your comment "I realize I have to do some of the work and the band is just the tool but darn it, if I could control my eating, I wouldn't have needed the band in the first place. So, I just expect the band to do more for me than what it is doing right now."

I'm not sure what you expect the band to do for you if you can not control your eating. The band can not control your mind, it won't stop you from putting food into your mouth if you are not hungry. If you are feeling hungry I would ask you is it true "hunger" or is it head hunger or emotional hunger? Are you trying to feed something other than the actual need for food to fuel your body?

Those are big issues for all of us, and no matter what WLS you have band, sleeve, bypass you are going to encounter the same issues. These surgeries only affect your stomach not your mind, only you can control your behaviors.

We are here for support, trust me I know I have emotional eating issues myself. My band works perfectly it's my head that tells me I am hungry most often when I know physically there is no way I could be. I can feel full to the point of extreme and still want to eat something or snack on something because emotionally something is missing for me. It's not always easy to figure out what it is either...sometimes I am successful at it and other times it's a real struggle and other times a total failure and I just give in.

No one of us is perfect that's why we are all here :) If we can be of help let us know.

I need to update my stats. I was banded on Oct 17, 2013, and on the day of surgery, I was 233 lbs. I was 244 when approved and lost 11 during the 10 day preop diet. So, 233 on day of surgery and I currently weigh in at 218. So, since the day of surgery, almost 8 months ago, I'm down just 15 pounds.

I'm not a calorie counter per se, I'm just a creature of habit. I eat the same things all the time. Every morning I have a Protein shake at 190 calories. I eat about 1/2 to 1 cup of food for lunch (usually something soft because I find I'm still a bit tight at lunch). Most times I make what they call the wrapless eggroll stuff. I brown 1 lb ground turkey with an onion. I add one bag of coleslaw and a little soy sauce (lite) and simmer all covered for about 20 min. It really is delicious considering the best part of an eggroll, the crunchy wrapper, is missing. I take that and put it in one cup containers and take it to work every day (they are not a full cup). For dinner, I have some kind of Protein and maybe some salad that i chop very finely. Sometimes at night, I do have a few cups of popcorn. Or an apple with some hummus. Better than the chips/cheez-its/cracker type of stuff I ate preband. All in all, I'm not taking in tons of calories. I do find that I can eat much more at dinner and I need to get that in check. Nighttime has always been my downfall. I am terrific all day at work but can blow it all at night.

@@lisacaron - I was typing my stat update so I hadn't seen what you posted. I guess what I meant when I said that about me wanting the band to do more for me is that I'm waiting to get the feeling that a lot of you speak of when you say that when you're in your green zone and you eat, something triggers to tell you that you've had enough. Isn't it the band that is giving you that trigger? I guess that's what I'm hoping this band will do for me. I especially want it to do this at night. But, you're right. I know I'm a nighttime overeater and my battle with weight has always been due to the fact that I overeat when I get home from work. I need to get a handle on it. I guess I just thought the band might help me a little bit with that. But, your post game me a lot to think about and I need to work harder at this. Thank you!

@@LapbandKAB This is just my opinion, and you know what they say about those:-). My doctor recommended I strive for 1200 calories per day, along with that I am to hit a target of 60-80g or Protein per day and consume 64-80oz of water(strive for 80). I eat 3-4oz of Protein along with 1/2 veggies and then a startch if I have room. I eat my plate in that exact order, protein, veggies, and then the starch which I often find I can't fit in, ok no biggie. Snacks are ok, I eat 2 Snacks a day, like 1oz or 2oz of cheese, some times I will have a SF pudding, etc.
This is what I would start doing, for a few days just to get a feel for where you are, I would start tracking those calories either by hand or by using my fitness pal whatever works best for you, I would aslo track the amount of protein. It sounds to me from what you've listed that you're making the right choices but I'm wondering if either a) you're consuming too few calories which is causing your body to go into starvation mode holding onto every ounce you put in it OR you're maybe not getting enough protein or a combo of the two. Do you exercise at all?

Edited by enjoythetime

FYI-We can all eat more food if we choose to? But, if you look for the soft stops and satiety signals you can avoid many of these speed bumps?

I chose the band because I believed I could listen to what my body was telling me and just needed a little help. Some people need more than this? Some WLS patients need someone to put a cork in their mouth to stop them from over-eating. The sleeve can do this for you but the sleeve won't stop you from eating the wrong foods. So, the bottom line is, no WLS is perfect.

The signals may be there for you, are you listening and do you want to listen?

Edited by 2muchfun

Just an update since you posted while I was typing. If you're tight in the morning and noon, you probably don't need a fill? If there was any way you can eat more solid food those two meals, you'll feel less hungry. popcorn is like sugar, it will spike your insulin levels making you hungry within an hour. Definitely delish, but not a good snacking choice and you're right, nighttime snacking is a no-no.

And do you exercise?

@@LapbandKAB I understand what you are talking about. That feeling you are looking for that tells you that you have had enough, is that soft stop that you feel when you finish your food. You are measuring out your foods and by the way that egg roll stuff sounds yummy I will have to give that a try!

For the most part your not really hungry once you have consumed your food. Your body doesn't need the fuel, it's a mind thing. I am very much like you as well. I am great when I am at work. I eat all my portions and I don't snack and I don't over eat and then I get home from work or it's a weekend and all my triggers are set and ready to go.

It can be as simple as a bad drive home, or an annoying phone call or just me over thinking something. If I have a super awesome day I might think to myself I "deserve" a treat tonight! I ate well I did my work out, I can have this or that or just one more ice cream pop it's skinny cow after all :) I'm a self sabotager I am the one that set up those triggers, I set them up every single day. I boobie trap myself sometimes and on days when I remember that I can maneuver around those triggers but I'm still working on it. There are so many I had no idea were so well hidden I still uncover now and then :)

Thanks, all, for the comments/advice. I will try to better track how many calories I'm taking in each day. I do exercise every day by way of 30 minutes on the treadmill while watching QVC (my other bad habit besides food!). Also, I, too have wondered if perhaps I don't need a fill because I'm very tight in the morning and at lunch. Sometimes, I think I might be teetering into the red zone when I PB or feel like vomiting. Sometimes, I drink a little Water and can hear the noises it makes as it circles the drain that is the band. Other times, I drink Water with no issue. So, there's that, but then when I find I can eat freely at night I wonder if maybe I need a slight fill. It's crazy. I do stop myself for the most part and don't just continue eating. I just need to work harder I think at recognizing the warning signs to stop. @@lisacaron - I looked at your stats under your name and notice our starting weights and current weights are pretty close. But, your surgery was in May and you've lost 50 already! That's fantastic. My surgery was October and I'm down only 18. I'm going to work harder at this and see if I can get something going again.

Edited to say I just realized your surgery was May 2013. I was thinking last month. Duh. Losing 50 in that time is still fantastic and I look forward to doing the same thing by October!

Edited by LapbandKAB

KAB, my band is also more open in the evenings. Many of us can eat whatever we want but that would mean caving in to cravings. Since we've already eaten dinner we really don't need to eat any more in the evenings. I think they call this mindful eating? Are you really hungry or just craving your trigger foods? This is something the band can curb but not eliminate. And no matter what WLS you get, it will always be an issue. This is where discipline comes in and almost everyone here has caved at some time.

There is no cure for this other than being mindful that this is truly hunger or a craving?

@@LapbandKAB Yes May 2013 since being banded it's been about 50, and 12 pre-op for a total of 62. I don't count the pre-op I just focus on what I lose now.

I don't struggle with my band, my Dr. was very conservative with fills along the way I didn't get my first fill until about 3 months after surgery and all was healed. It was a slow go learning the feeling of what "restriction" or satiety was. What the soft stops are, how much to eat and when. I am like you not so much eating during the day and then hungry at night. I went through the tighter band in the AM then at night.

For me the key is to move more, so now that things are a bit calmer in my life (ha those who know me know that is FAR from the truth.) but it has shades of truth at the corners now that the hubby is moving freely about and able to drive again I am able to get back to the gym and do some things to take care of me again.

I must say I have been enjoying this Aqua fitness class I go to 3x a week. I am going to have to step it up a bit and get more in perhaps add a Zumba or Yoga night!

I don't think you need a fill, your sounding uncomfortable, you might want to take out .5cc relax and take the advice of enjoy and TMF. Up the Protein lower the carbs track your intake and get moving more. I don't like to track every little thing I eat. I'm not a big fan of it, it does help some and I will tell you another trick that helps me at night. I have a large cup of Decaf coffee with sugar free flavored Creamer and that is my "treat" for the night before I go to sleep. So I stay away from the junk food treats :) In the summer I make it into a coolata in the blender and in the winter it's a warm treat.

I think I needed a little reality check. I am NOT hungry when I tend to eat more at night. It's the old habit of mindless eating while watching TV that has come back to haunt me. I sort of wish my band didn't loosen up as the day goes on though. That would be very helpful to me. But, I realize that if my Dr were to add even a bit more saline, my daytime eating would be a nightmare. I like how my daytime eating is right now. I just need to remember to chew, chew, chew and take small bites. I think when I veer off from that is when I feel like PBing. Time for me to take up crochet or knitting or something else to occupy my hands while I'm watching TV at night. I need to try harder.