Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you do instead of "Going out to dinner"?

Play a board game, or badminton (yes, that's really how it's spelled; I had to look it up), or croquet. If you can gather 4 players, try a game called Taboo - it's a riot.

Devise a treasure hunt or a scavenger hunt. Volunteer with an animal rescue agency or some other good cause. Clean out a closet together or tackle some other 2-person DIY project. Those are always more tolerable if you have someone to chat with throughout.

We go out to eat still. I never have trouble finding healthy options. We also walk our dogs, go on the motorcycle, go to movies, go to the Cape, etc. We do lots of things because I'm no longer ashamed to be seen in public. :-)

You can still go out to eat. Just order a healthy meal. You'll always have leftovers. I go out all of the time with people that have no clue I had this surgery. I just don't make an issue of it. I've gotten really good at moving food around on my plate. I kind of make a game of it. I don't really want to eat the junk others eat, because my sleeve does not like it.

Happy Losing,

Mississippi Girl

Thank you to everyone who posted suggestions. Thank you.

It is difficult to change, and I know eating out will still happen, but want to start designing events and outings where food can be an element but not the goal.

These ideas are all wonderful. I think they are going in "The Book" (an idea I got from another BP poster, to make a book of all the things we want to do after we are healthy enough to live life, clothes we want to wear, things we want to do, etc.)

Keep the good ideas coming!

Play a board game, or badminton (yes, that's really how it's spelled; I had to look it up), or croquet. If you can gather 4 players, try a game called Taboo - it's a riot.

Devise a treasure hunt or a scavenger hunt. Volunteer with an animal rescue agency or some other good cause. Clean out a closet together or tackle some other 2-person DIY project. Those are always more tolerable if you have someone to chat with throughout.

Board games are a brilliant idea. We started watching Wil Wheaton's Tabletop, and got a bunch of ideas for board games. We have a weekly (sometimes more often) game night for the whole family just to get us all off the computers and doing something together. Our kids love it too. (Betrayal at House on the Hill and Smash-Up are their current favorites)

Funny I'm 13 days out and my fiancée and I are trying to plan outings as well. Its tough because we too centered our lives around food and drinks. good times no doubt, watching NFL,NHL and NLB games! I wont cut that out but revise those outings. Better food choices and not so many drinks! We live ten minutes from the beach and bay and have been talking about a healthier lifestyle like canoeing, kayaking, waterboarding, bicycling etc... Thanks for some more great ideas everyone! Much appreciated!

For the tv-marathons and games (i'm not a sports watcher, but love movies) maybe think about knitting or crocheting or embroidery of some sort -keeps your hands too busy to eat, and then once you dig into a bowl of food that others might be having, you have to stop and wash hands before taking it up again - and I find that's a helpful little deterrent so far. I also play games on my ipad or do a crossword puzzle while we're watching something so I don't feel as tempted to want to nibble.

Excellent thread, WriterJennifer! Thanks for getting it started.

When I committed to weight loss surgery, I had thought long and hard about how it would change going out with my friends. We always eat out on Saturdays. I decided that nothing was going to change but my attitude towards food. My 1st restaurant meal post-surgery was just like any other, my friends heaped food on their plates and I heaped 3 or 4 tablespoon sized dollops of food on my plate - I wasn't even able to finish that much! :-P We made jokes about how little I could eat and how much per ounce this meal was costing me ( I paid full price for the buffet ). As far as I'm concerned, I'm there for the company, not the food.

P.S. I live in a small town, pop. 10,000. Main street is 2 miles long and there are over 30 fast food restaurants in that stretch of pavement. Food is the only entertainment we have! Every business that has tried to provide entertainment shuts down pretty quick, no customers. Even the Library had to close - some guy checked out the book!

So what do you do? What is there to do besides go out to eat, with friends, family, lovers? What else is there? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I still meet friends for lunch and dinner. It's just a way of life and my goal was to learn to function in the real world. The sleeve allows me to do this. Additionally, we go to movies, go for walks, go bowling . We often go to painting classes or take art lessons such as sculpting, or photography. One friend and I did Tai Chi. Great exercise and it wasn't too difficult. My husband loves to cook out and he has learned to make small hamburgers for me, with no bread of course. We grill steaks, pork chops, salmon, tilapia etc and even grill fresh veggies on the BBQ. That is always fun. Finding things to do that make you more active are the best but my hubby isn't interested so I depend on my girl friends for that. This coming week we are having a "Laugh-In". We'll play Chonda Pierce DVDs and laugh the night away. For those unfamiliar with Chonda... she is a Christian comedian who is very funny. We have a strict no snack policy since most of us are dieting but we all bring our own glasses and drinks. Do anything that interests you, as long as you are on the move you are doing well. Just enjoy life.

Great thread. Just bought tickets to John Hiatt and Robert Cray for my husband's Father's Day gift. DATE NIGHT! :)

I was looking forward to a concert by John Pinette...we were hoping he was going to hit Savannah this year, and then, as we know...he recently passed away suddenly... which brings me back around to SEIZE THE DAY!!! If you want to do something, MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Whether is be a walk, an outing, or a full blown event...enjoy the time we have left of this blue marble!

Groupon and Living Social has a lot of activity deals as well. I'm hoping my husband and I will do some of those "Paint Nites" and stuff.