Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food-Stamps supplies ideas

Is hummus allowed?

I eat hummus alot. I'm a little over a year out.

Edited by Dorian

Is hummus allowed?

Yes - on my plan it was - but no raw vegetables or bread to eat it with - again, check your own docs diet plan - it might be available online like mine.

I went to Wal-Mart earlier and purchased a can of refried Beans. I love it! I'm feeling positive about food-based Protein sources. I will ask the NUT if I can make my own chicken Soup.

Thank you, all. Really helpful.

Do you have any insurance at all? If so, go to insurenutrition.com There is a short questionnaire to fill out, they will take it from there and do the rest. I get 5 cases of premiere Protein shakes a month, and my Vitamin supplements all for free. It all get's shipped to my house.

I am not sure, but I believe even Medicaid will provide for this.

Excellent! It did not occur to ask the doctor if it would be covered by insurance. Wow.

@ldoyle that's what I was going to suggest too... I get my Protein, Vitamins and a great scar cream from InsureNutrition.com ... it gets delivered right to the door :)

I still use the Protein for my "snacks" ... I like them and they feel like a "cheat" with the chocolately goodness...

Good luck to you...

I just found out that I will be able to remain on the lean & green diet until the day before the surgery. I will be able to begin protein-type liquids on week 2. I am feeling really grateful that I can prepare mushy foods in advance at minimal cost. I already began to freeze some foods. I put refried Beans into ice cube trays for future mushy meals. Yay! Next up: a giant pot of chicken Soup, and mashed chopped liver - to bring Iron levels back up.

Ten days post-op. I got high compliments from the NUT and team at the surgeons office for filling my freezer with six weeks of high-Protein purees. I am proud to say that I have been able to get 60 grams of Protein in ever day without protein shakes! I personally think that it is a huge achievement, and I'm quite proud. I wish I can afford the shakes, but I have to save my nickels for the Vitamins now.

If anyone else here is surviving from food-stamps, I would appreciate your guidance (and not your judgements, please!). What kind of shakes/soups/vitamins should I stock up pre-op to prepare for post-op? Obviously, I can only purchase whatever is payable with food stamps. Thank you.

My sister inlaw has been on food stamps and had the surgery. She goes to kroger or Walmart and gets the pure Protein shake mix. And the sugar free Jello sf pudding sf popsickles and the broth cubes. She even gets Protein Bars with hers. She said just make sure the label says "nutrition facts" and not supplements. She said anything that has nutrition labels....are food.

Hope ger advice helps.

Wow, so it has to have the words 'Facts" on it rather than "information". Why, thank you so much! I will have to test that tomorrow first thing in the morning. I've been avoiding wal-mart because they stock their Protein products in the pharmacy section. Maybe you can find out exactly which Protein powder she was able to buy? That would be such a tremendous help for me. Thank you again!

If anyone else here is surviving from food-stamps, I would appreciate your guidance (and not your judgements, please!). What kind of shakes/soups/vitamins should I stock up pre-op to prepare for post-op? Obviously, I can only purchase whatever is payable with food stamps. Thank you.

Get your doc to write you scripts for your multi vit, Iron, & Calcium. Your insurance will have to pay for it then. If you have medicaid it will knock the cost down to hopefully something you can afford.

I couldn't even get Vitamin D covered before the surgery.

Wow, so it has to have the words 'Facts" on it rather than "information". Why, thank you so much! I will have to test that tomorrow first thing in the morning. I've been avoiding wal-mart because they stock their Protein products in the pharmacy section. Maybe you can find out exactly which Protein Powder she was able to buy? That would be such a tremendous help for me. Thank you again!

Hey , I am on food stamps and Buy my Protein shakes at Walmart the pure Protein tubs are able to be bought on food stamps also anything that says nutrition info or fact or whatever are all able to be bought on food stamps as long as the label says nutrition and not supplemental you will be able to purchase it with food stamps. the protein stuff in the pharmacy area is also able to be bought with food stamps as well even the pre made shakes as long as the lable says nutritional.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pure-Protein-Frosty-Chocolate-100-Whey-Protein-Powder-2-lbs/16536989

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pure-Protein-Chocolate-Deluxe-High-Protein-Bars-1.76-oz-6-count/10423029?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pure-Protein-Frosty-Chocolate-Shakes-12-fl-oz-4-pack/22066801?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=73370685003&category=0%3A976760%3A1005859%3A1006979&client_guid=9dbcf1e2-f220-45c7-b449-d79b5ed64985&customer_id_enc=5a04e4b551f75afd7307be3d09ed6f8d&config_id=0&parent_item_id=10423029&guid=fa0dfbfa-dfd9-453d-8cc2-0ee103e167fe&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

ive bought all of these on food stamps plus there are probly more stuff also :)

Thanks for posting this latido. I am on a fixed income due to kidney failure. I was wondering if I could buy anything with my stamps. Thanks to everyone for answering. This was very helpful.