Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, what's your hurry?

One of the things I keep reading over and over in posts is "how much did you loose in 3 days/weeks/minutes/nanoseconds?" and, of course, "I'm stalled for 3 days/weeks/minutes/nanoseconds please help!"

I'll start by admitting that pre-op, I too looked at others results and did some number crunching in my head. I projected and I planned and I was hopeful. And in that respect, perhaps such posts have a powerful influence, since it can get one to pick up the phone and make that first call.

But once that first step is taken, the journey becomes the individuals, and theirs alone. And no number crunching and projecting is going to change how one's own natural healing process is going to progress.

So, I ask, what's your hurry?

The road to the goal is not linear. We must acknowledge and embrace a process of push and pull, pros and cons, give and take, and ups and downs. And when we are feeling up, for heaven's sake, enjoy it! Cherish those moments. Every. Single. Second. Celebrate. Sing in the shower. Go fishing. Dance naked around the house. Build on that joy, because the effects are cumulative. And it will get you through times when things are not so optimal. Trust the process. Before you know it, you'll be dancing/singing/celebrating once again.

So, I'll ask again, what's your hurry?

I believe in setting goals. I believe in developing a clear vision of a healthy future. But it's in the journey, the process, and the day-to-day choices where the real transformation occurs. And if one is not enjoying every "up" second of that process, and working through every "down" second, they would have gotten to their goal without really knowing how they got there.

So, in conclusion I ask, what's your hurry?

Edited by DeniseNCC1701

"I'm getting married in late June and I have to drop 48 lbs to fit in my tux" jk ;) :P

Thanks for this. I've read through many posts and thought the same thing. This process is a journey. It didn't start with that first appointment with the doc or the day of surgery. It started with poor food choices and lack of exercise that made us start gaining weight in the first place. And in some cases that was a lifetime ago.

We didn't become obese overnight. Thank God we have a tool that will help us lose the weight faster than it took to gain it!

Great post. I have to remember this. I really, really, really want to avoid getting worked up over looking at the scale. I need to have my husband hide it from me, lol.

I guess my hurry is also I'm going to my sister's new home on June 19th and I'm just praying to baby Jesus that I fit comfortably in the airplane seat. That's all I really truly want at this point.

I always say "there's no finish line", and "this isn't a race". Sure we all have goal weights, but there will never be a moment where we say, "well, thank God that's over, back to eating with reckless abandon! "

Great post and very well said. Thanks.

My only hurry at this point is getting through the six weeks post-surgery so I can start my yoga again. I've lost enough that I feel it in my bones, and at this point, everything's just a number. It's about how I feel, and I know that I'll feel better still once I can be a little more active. Walking and cycling are all well and good, but I miss the calming routine of morning yoga (I still meditate, but it's just not the same as running through the sun salutation a few times daily)

Yes, I like to see the numbers moving downward, but I compare me to myself rather than anyone else. I know how I used to "diet", and I know how I'm losing/getting healthy now. That's what I compare to.

I was on this forum for a year and a half before my surgery so I saw enough people freak out about stalls or things like 'I only lost a pound a day this month' that I knew not to freak out, knew to expect stalls, knew that eventually the weight would drop if I followed my plan. Glad I was well prepared because it has sure helped since I am a fairly slow loser even though I'm a heavyweight.

@@InfiniteButterfly I do yoga too! I can see how your doctors might not want you doing any sun salutations or inversions, but can you do some simple standing postures like tree pose, chair pose or table against a wall? Those would be great to start building balance!

Be well…

@@InfiniteButterfly - I really want to take yoga again too! It's been a few years but when I did it, I just loved it. I'm really excited to start walking, then moving up to swimming, then hiking and yoga and all the "fun" exercises like Zumba... and dancing in general!

Good reasons to fast forward time? I think so.

My only hurry at this point is getting through the six weeks post-surgery so I can start my yoga again. I've lost enough that I feel it in my bones, and at this point, everything's just a number. It's about how I feel, and I know that I'll feel better still once I can be a little more active. Walking and cycling are all well and good, but I miss the calming routine of morning yoga (I still meditate, but it's just not the same as running through the sun salutation a few times daily)

Yes, I like to see the numbers moving downward, but I compare me to myself rather than anyone else. I know how I used to "diet", and I know how I'm losing/getting healthy now. That's what I compare to.

Why are you waiting six weeks? I was cleared for yoga at two, swimming at three, dance at four and martial arts at six. :)

Why are you waiting six weeks? I was cleared for yoga at two, swimming at three, dance at four and martial arts at six. :)

I'm waiting because at my two-week visit, the CRNP said absolutely not until I see the doctor (at four weeks). She cleared me for cycling though, which I've added to my fitness routine (which had consisted entirely of walking prior to that). In the grand scheme of things, it's really not that long to wait. And I have been doing some of the less intense balance poses that don't stretch or twist my torso.

My only frustration is where some folks think Member X is an expert at WLS (or knows more than ) because she got to goal in 7 months yet Member Y took 19 months.

So many things to consider, starting with excessive weight loss percentages and not ending with BMI goals. Member X's weightloss goal and journey is unique & personal. Trying to mimic his/her leads to frustration & unneeded stress and could lead to your own failure.

I think what happens to people is that this surgery becomes so much a last chance thing and if you fail what then? I, for one, have failed at so many diets over my time that I know failure better than success, a stall or a gain would definitely have signified the beginning of failure for me and if I had no where else to turn I would come to this forum for comfort. I can see that for some people there is not time to sit back and smell the roses while meditating over the journey. Sometimes co-morbidities are so overwhelming that time taken is important, some people are older when they find out about or save up enough for the surgery.

I am not saying you shouldn't feel frustrated about some of these posts, I am just trying to help you understand why some people need to post . Another thing I have noticed is that people post using different Apps or even devices and with some of the Apps for some devices it is quite hard to find your way around the forum so searching becomes a problem so they start a new thread, or they are so new to the forum and they want some instant reassurance. I too get frustrated with some of these people so I just move on to another thread, but sometimes I am in a better mood to cope and might try to help them. About yoga, I would love to learn but so far have not found out where to go to learn, so far everyone I have met is an expert and they can't even tell me where to begin. Now that I am thin enough to contemplate wearing the required clothes and old enough to not care what I look like in them, or what I look like doing the poses, I am quite interested in a beginner class.

@@jenpez Valid points, indeed, thank you! Though I still maintain that one must embrace and enjoy the journey. The physical passage of time is a constant. How we perceive it is not. :)

Be well…

This is my first time on this website. I've been reading jenpez's thread? Is each little message considered a thread? Or what do you call each comment? The point is, I had lap band surgery done three and a half years ago. Lost 60 pounds, thrilled me to death, I bought new clothes and actually felt good about it and pretty. Then I quit losing weight. I started to get worried. Then I started a game. I was having a lot of problems with my band throwing up. And I was sick to death of my own cooking. I started to cheat big time. chocolate milk and goes past my band with no problem. One thing led to another and the old cycle begin again. I have gained 20 pounds. I am so depressed and frustrated about it. How did I lose the 60 pounds? I can't seem to get back into gear and start losing again. Like what you said about failure, I understand completely. I waste so much time beating myself up and telling myself what a failure I am. How could I go to all of this travel and expense and mess it up? I just don't know what to do. I don't know how to get started again. I know I'm working against myself not only with what I eat but mentally and emotionally. I'm starting to crawl back into my cocoon, in other words stay at home and isolate myself from people. I desperately need help to get back on track. I am terrified that I will gain the rest of the weight back and even more. I know this is working against me. Help, please. Has anyone out there gone through this and crawled out of this thinking a hole successfully?