Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im an emotional wreck. Help!

I've only been sleeved since May 13th-- so about 3 weeks now-- and I'm feeling so emotional. I've actually cried recently because I have a fear of not being successful in this entire lifestyle change. I began my journey at 330 and today, 3 weeks later, my weight is going back and forth between 306 and 308 and it's really stressing me out. I'm scared as S**T because I really want to be successful and I feel like I'm already hitting bumps in the road. I try to work out 30 minutes a day and it's just so terribly hard! I can't really eat things from my week 3 list because they make me somewhat sick. I'm just having thee most difficult time at just the thought of being unsuccessful and I cry about it every now and then. Protein Drinks make me sick, Multivitamins make me cringe, the only things I'm able to tolerate are Soups, smoothies, and tuna. I'm craving foods and afraid to try anything because I can't hold things down .... I'm ALWAYS tired and drained when I should want to exercise... And, at the same time, while realizing all of this, and feeling frustrated, I stand in the mirror and look at my reflection and feel so proud of myself for losing 22 pounds this far. But all I can think of is the fact that I weigh 308 now and I REALLY want to be in between 170lbs and 185lbs by next June. Is anyone else an emotional wreck like I am?

I tend to hold my emotions in (except for that time of the month) but I have these exact same fears. Internally, I am freaking out that I won't be able to do this. I'm 8 days post-op and everything makes me nauseous and I know I'm not getting enough Protein each day.

The one thing I've learned from these forums is that you have to be patient with yourself and do the best you can, taking it day by day. Also, a lot of people recommend not weighing yourself every day and limiting it to once a week or month. I can't do that right now, I'm too obsessed but there will have to be a time when I put the scale away for a bit.

You can do it, I promise!!! In fact, WE can do it!!

You say you go back and forth between 306 and 308. Is this every day, or several times a day? My best advice is to STAY OFF THE scale. You are only a couple of weeks out of major surgery. Of course you are exhausted! Don't push yourself to overdo exercise yet. A half hour is great, if you're used to it, but you may be someone who needs to build up. Start with 10 minutes twice a day. Then you can add 10 minute increments as you heal and build up tolerance for exercise.

Don't expect too much of yourself. You are doing great! Take things slow and be patient. Your sleeve won't be completely healed until 12 weeks. Until then, try to weigh no more than once a week. If you do that, you are less likely to see "stalls" or to stress out over a number that will fluctuate daily for a myriad of reasons. It isn't something you are doing wrong.

Best of luck! :)

I'm 11 weeks post op (today). I started at 325. I lost 28 preop and had many stalls along the way, even preop. I have lost a total of 65 since preop, so 37 since surgery. You are probably having the beginning of your first stall. This is totally normal and won't last. It's pure mental anguish going through it. DONT GET SIDETRACKED because the scale isn't moving. It will. Your body is clinging to every morsel since the shock of surgery and weight loss. Search for threads on the 3 weeks stall. You'll find lots of them. Most go through it. Trust me, stay on track and it will move again. You'll have many more stalls but you will do fine. I 100% identify with your anxiety. I've been there, and am still there some days. There is a lot of mental work that goes into this. I've been relatively successful to lose 37 pounds in 11 weeks but my negative thoughts say it should be more!!!!! I have to stay on here daily and beef up my confidence and faith. You are right where youre suppose to be. Keep trying all the things you're suppose to be trying, they will get easier. Those weeks before puréed/softs are tough to endure. Keep reading. Push fluids and Protein. The fatigue last several more weeks but gets better about week 8. Hang in there!!! You got this!!

I'm 5 weeks post op. I had worried that I too would fail at this and have everyone know about it and shake their heads in dissapproval and then I realized that most of us are more self centered than we admit and that other people really are busy and preoccupied with thier own lives and fears and goals and not THAT invested in me as I would have liked to believe. So, let us get over ourselves and do this just for ourselves and the "good jobs" will be icing on the cake - sorry, I had to go there. I too am at a stall now and have been about the same weight give or take 3 pounds for 2 weeks, but it's ok. It will change. I'm still getting used to the IDEA of exercising and I will get to that 30 minutes a day goal, but I won't expect myself to change it all at once! The process is just that - an ongoing process. So, leave the scale alone and live as if you have already lost the weight - go out with friends, get into your hobbies, try new things, stay busy - live a life NOW. We are all going to be OK.

Edited by MsSilky

Thank all of you SO MUCH for your kind, supportive words! You have no idea how much I needed to hear all of these things. I agree that It is a very new process, and that it will get better. And I also agree that I need to chill with getting on the scale so much because it's become a very bad habit of mine.

Just weigh yourself once a day if you can't do once a week. I always weigh myself in the mornings, and I give myself 3 lbs in either direction before I think I have gained weight. You know that a gallon of Water weighs like 8 lbs? Sometimes we retain Water and sometimes we don't. I agree with the person who said live your life now. Try to live in the moment - you are doing what you should be doing now. Leave next year for next year.