Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here, but I am just the wife

My husband is having the gastric sleeve done on June 10! I am so proud of him for making this huge step. We have been married for 10 years and have two amazing children. He has always been big (which has never bothered me at all), but recently it hit both of us that he was at his biggest. We went to Dr. Felix in Houston and he weighed in at 425. Thankfully, the insurance is covering his surgery and we don't have much to pay for out of pocket. I am here to learn all I can learn about the surgery, pre-op, post-op, emotionally, physically, etc. He starts his 10 day liquid diet on Saturday the 31st. Thank y'all for all of the info y'all post. I will read it and I am sure I will have questions. Thank y'all!

I wish everyone here had a spouse or partner who was as supportive as you. Thanks for taking the time to educate yourself! My husband has been awesome too, and I'm so blessed by it!

My husband is having the gastric sleeve done on June 10! I am so proud of him for making this huge step. We have been married for 10 years and have two amazing children. He has always been big (which has never bothered me at all), but recently it hit both of us that he was at his biggest. We went to Dr. Felix in Houston and he weighed in at 425. Thankfully, the insurance is covering his surgery and we don't have much to pay for out of pocket. I am here to learn all I can learn about the surgery, pre-op, post-op, emotionally, physically, etc. He starts his 10 day liquid diet on Saturday the 31st. Thank y'all for all of the info y'all post. I will read it and I am sure I will have questions. Thank y'all!

Hey there!! I think this is awesome that you are on here to learn everything you can and are so supportive!! I'm only 5 months post op and have been married 5 years, however having your spouse supportive is a must in my book! I have been extremely lucky in the sense that I had an easy recovery and life was back to normal completely for me after 2 weeks (after the first 4 days, things got way better!). Feel free to ask any questions on here and people are more than willing to help! Good luck to your husband! :)

I agree. U the exceptional spouse in a supportive role. While my husband is extremely supportive of my weightloss journey, not sure he would ever even think of posting on a support board.

Ur a very rare one! And I love it! Just know that it's a long road and u and he need to have patience. It doesn't happen overnight. At least for most of us it doesn't. And plx be patient with his new eating habits (and lack of eating habits). I about bit hubbys head off the first month when I was only allowed full liquids. He ate real food and I was jealous. So I let him know that. And he sucked it up! Ur husband might be cranky, especially in the beginning when his diet is so limited. He'll probably be hungry (many of us never lose that hunger) and want real food.< /p>

Good luck! Hope to hear more from u as he progresses...

I couldn't imagine not being supportive!! He's my world. He wants a healthy self to watch our kids grow up and walk our daughter down the isle when its time. *BTW, I lost it when he told the doctor that. I had a split second image of him no longer bein with us and I can't handle that.

I wish everyone here had a spouse or partner who was as supportive as you. Thanks for taking the time to educate yourself! My husband has been awesome too, and I'm so blessed by it!

I agree. U the exceptional spouse in a supportive role. While my husband is extremely supportive of my weightloss journey, not sure he would ever even think of posting on a support board.

Ur a very rare one! And I love it! Just know that it's a long road and u and he need to have patience. It doesn't happen overnight. At least for most of us it doesn't. And plx be patient with his new eating habits (and lack of eating habits). I about bit hubbys head off the first month when I was only allowed full liquids. He ate real food and I was jealous. So I let him know that. And he sucked it up! Ur husband might be cranky, especially in the beginning when his diet is so limited. He'll probably be hungry (many of us never lose that hunger) and want real food.< /p>

Good luck! Hope to hear more from u as he progresses...

I am going on a 10 day liquid cleanse while he is doing his 10 day liquid diet so he doesn't feel alone! Of course I have to feed the kids, but I will be doing it with him. I think it will be easier for him if he isn't alone.

Bravo! The Wife going full liquids for 10 days?! You, madam, are indeed part of the solution! Amazing!

I know where you're coming from! I was a Spouse of Sleever last October when my husband went in on our anniversary. due in large part to his journey and success in losing 100lbs, I have decided to get vsg also and I'm getting sleeved this Friday May 30!

Advice as you walk with your husband that I got and was grateful for:

On the preop liquid diet, budget and make emotional allowances to accommodate a "I'm sick of this shake I'm going to the store to get something different." That happened a lot for us and it was frustrating to me to see him make a fuss when to me "liquid is liquid"

Also if he likes Jerky, pick some up for him to suck/chew on and spit out without swallowing. This ended up being a secret weapon for both of us.

At the hospital, your part in his success is huge! Not just being there for emotional support but acting as a nurse liaison in getting anything from ice chips to pain meds to recording what medicine was given and when. You will also see his progress/symptoms more pronounced than what they will checking in on him periodically.

After surgery be prepared to go clothes shopping monthly. And be prepared for the family's meal times to change. My husband started eating in a separate area to keep from being overcome with head hunger and ending up puking. Also be prepared to at least cook starched separately, if at all.

I know that's a lot and I hope some of it helps your family's journey towards a healthier husband!