Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My journey started when I felt unable to regulate my weight. I had tried various diets but nothing worked and my will power was terrible. I had heard all about gastric banding and felt it would be worth trying. I contacted a very reputable company and met with one of their staff in Glasgow, and she commented that I was suitable for banding and it would be done in their clinic in England. I was also told that if I chose one doctor in particular, there would be no scarring as he would do it lapriscopily. I liked the sound of that, so went ahead and booked it, putting down a large deposit.

I was given thing to do prior to the surgery and then travelled down to England for the procedure. I met the doctor shortly before going to surgery then I was taken to theatre. When I woke up I was immediately aware of a dressing high up on my abdomen. I was quite upset as I was told I would have no scar ..... When the doctor came to see me quite some time later, I questionned him about the scar and he said ...... Are you ready for this?????? "Oh dear. I didn't know because I didn't read your file before going to surgery." Well I nearly hit the roof. I was disgusted with the situation and just couldn't believe what had happened. So many other issues soured the whole procedure - the main one being that when I discussed my surgery with a local NHS surgeon, he confirmed I should never have been offered the surgery as I am a 'grazer' and nibble on things all day long and the band is not suitable for someone like me. I only wish I knew.

The band has been drained of Fluid so doesn't work and I am now saving up to have it removed.

I did contact the ombudsman and I was able to get a portion of my money back, but not enough. I had the surgery, went through all the pain, have a scan I shouldn't have had, and now have a band that doesn't work. I really wish someone had told me about this before I made a very bad decision.

Ok, I'm really missing something....well evidently alot here. You say you went in for a band, came back with a large bandage...What did they do. The band isn't for nibblers?.....I'm a nibbler and that's just something I have to work with. All wls will fail if you are and continue being a nibbler. So why do you have and empty band that needs to be removed? You need to tell us more.

Why does the band not work? Oh, yeah, bands don't work, patients have to work? What a concept!

if your profile is correct @ 170 lbs I doubt they would offer anything more radical than the band. I am confused by the post in general. so, they did something other than the band? or they did the band and you want it removed?

And 2 years ago? Seriously, I don't want to call TROLL ALERT, but it does sound suspicious.

Edited by SandyM

And 2 years ago? Seriously, I don't want to call TROLL ALERT, but it does sound suspicious.

I was thinking the same except maybe we're being "Punked"?

I was thinking the same except maybe we're being "Punked"?

Lol, ok, maybe a nicer way to put it.

I'm really confused?!?!

First off... what surgeon would promise no scar?!?!?!?

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

Well thank you all for the warm welcome ..... NOT

My first time on any forum about my band and looking for help, and all I get is ridicule.

Way to make someone feel uncomfortable.

:(

Well thank you all for the warm welcome ..... NOT My first time on any forum about my band and looking for help, and all I get is ridicule. Way to make someone feel uncomfortable. :(

I don't think anyone is trying to ridicule here. You just offered such patch info we are all trying to figure this out. I get this:

-surg 2 years ago

-promised no scar

-came out with large dressing

-no Fluid in band

-unhappy

I think you would need to provide more info so we can figure this out.

@@Galaxy Sorry you had a bad experience right from the beginning.

Any surgery should have a lot of research and questions asked prior to going through it, in my opinion. From your description you didn't meet the surgeon until you were being wheeled in for surgery--that is unfortunate especially since that is the person that should have been answering all of your question and concerns.

As far as scarring goes, I would think any surgery would leave some type of scar. Laproscopic procedures tend to leave much smaller and not as noticeable scars.

As far as not having the right procedure in regards to WLS…different surgeons will consider/recommend different procedures for the same exact person.

I was a food grazer….I didn't even know what hungry felt like anymore until I started on my pre-op diet.

Any WLS can be a success if the patient puts the work into it. I work hard and listen to my hunger signs more now. Do I still graze all day, no --my band and plication have helped to curb those habits. Do I still eat treats now and again, yes…even when I may not be hungry. I watch the # of calories going in and the # of calories I expend. I walk and walk and walk some more!!!

This surgery (lap-band) has been a success for so many people on here…people who are grazers, emotional eaters, high BMI'ers…all sorts of shapes and sizes with all sorts of emotional, personal, and health issues…it can be done….but work MUST be put into it.

This surgery has been a tool for me…and one that I work day in and day out and it IS working.

Wishing you luck and hope you find the peace you are looking for.

Edited by chasingadream

Well thank you all for the warm welcome ..... NOT

My first time on any forum about my band and looking for help, and all I get is ridicule.

Way to make someone feel uncomfortable.

:(

All I read was a rant? What kind of help do you want? You said you were having it removed? Why not keep it and make it work?

I only met the actual surgeon just before going to surgery but I met one of his medical assistants at a clinic in Glasgow. They did all the consultations prior to the surgery and told me that it would be laproscopically so the scars would be in my belly button and therefore not seen. Due to the high profile of the company I trusted them.

I was told I had a 'small 10ml' band but had no restriction when it was filled with 10ml. The doctor increased it to 11ml and I had a little restriction. I haven't had the after care I required as the company who did the surgery withdrew that and I don't know what to do. I am sorry if it case across as a rant. I was hoping for some advice, guidance, understanding? Perhaps someone else who had issues with their band that could tell me what they did to rectify it? I don't know how to 'make it work'. Perhaps this is not the forum I should be on.

I am sorry you are not getting the response you had hoped for. Frankly I am still confused as to what type of advice you are seeking. I know at a starting weight of 170 unless you are 3 feet tall you are not really considered seriously obese. I also don't know how the system works in the UK so maybe they are more lenient about BMI. I had to have special consideration because I had a lower BMI than the insurance companies consider approved for lapband. I had diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure so I got approved by Medicare and BC. Now the other issue is perhaps you didn't get enough of a consultation going into this thing. laprscopic does not mean no scars.. I have one about 1 inch long where my port is, otherwise I have a few tiny places where they used the instruments and scope. I did not get any Fluid in my band at the time of surgery, I have gradually received about 3 cc since my surgery almost 18 mos ago. I have restriction and if I pay attention to my band I am steaily losing 1 lb a week. the less weight I Have to lose however the slower that goes. I hope you get this resolved and can use the band fr what it is designed to do.

I haven't had any issues with my band, I love it actually, but I'm sorry you had a bad experience. My advice is to find a new doctor. Go to someone who specializes in weight loss surgery and can help you figure this out.