Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PLEASE! Dear God, Can I get some coffee?

I am only on post-op day #9. I am having little trouble following my liquid/ Protein intake requirements. My recovery so far has gone well. I lost 12 lbs. at my one week post-op follow up and a total of 35 lbs. so far. My only problem is that I MISS my coffee terribly. It's like my long term boyfriend has broken up with me. UGH! Any suggestions?

I switched to Decaf coffee months before surgery so I wouldn't have withdrawals. Immediately postop I drank a lot of decaf teas instead of coffee. I was never a tea drinker before but the warm liquid (especially camomile) really soothed my tummy early on. When I did try coffee, it was very irritating (even decaf coffee is very acidic) and I could only manage a few sips. So it was back to tea. Celestial seasonings Roastarama has a bolder, "coffee-like" feel. After about 4 months I tried coffee again and did fine with it. I'm drinking a cup right now :)

On the other hand, I've seen posts from people that never missed a beat and drank their regular caffeinated coffee within days of surgery. For you, maybe decaf coffee with premier Protein vanilla for Creamer could help increase your Fluid and Protein intake. Chike also has a line of coffee flavored protein powders.

Are you allowed caffeine at all? If so, lots of people (me included) love the Chike Iced coffee Protein Powder. I use one scoop, mix with CarbMaster milk, and add a teaspoon of instant espresso powder to bump up the coffee flavor.

If you aren't allowed caffeine, try making a iced vanilla latte or iced mocha Protein Shake by using vanilla or chocolate Protein powder and adding a teaspoon or two of instant Decaf coffee.

Finally, if you want a hot Cappuccino type drink, these are pretty good. I like to (again) bump up the flavor by adding a spoonful of instant espresso or decaf. You can also add things like sugar free hazelnut Syrup, caramel syrup, etc.:

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/hot-drinks/healthsmart-hot-drink-cappuccino-7-box.html

My standard prep for these is mix 4 oz. Water + 4 oz. Carb Master milk in a ceramic mug, then nuke that for about 90 seconds. Transfer the heated liquid to my blender beaker, add the cappuccino protein powder, instant espresso, syrups, and use my hand blender to mix it up. Then pour it back into the mug which is still nice and hot from the microwave.

Good luck!

As you may have read, different doctors have different protocols as to pre- and post- surgery diets. Thank goodness, my doctor did not have anything restricting coffee....... I drink two cups a day in the morning, and one cup at around three in the afternoon. Are you restricted from coffee bc you were recently banded, or will you be restricted from coffee FOR LIFE?

I would never suggest you go against your doctor's protocol, but I have learned through MY JOURNEY that I was going to try to use my band to live a life of "NO MORE DIETING, NO MORE RESTRICTIVE BEHAVIOR (except with SUGAR......my ENEMY), and NO MORE "all of nothing behavior//mindset." I feel that has been the key to my weight loss journey. Can't offer you any specific advice on how to live w/out coffee, other than how I learned to live without sugar. I do not buy it. I do not bring it in the house. I sometimes excuse myself from being at a table when certain trigger foods are served. Best Wishes!

I started drinking Decaf the day after surgery, albeit just a few sips. Within a week or so, I was drinking the leaded stuff with no discomfort. Now everybody's tolerance is different and everyone has an opinion about whether or not we should drink it...I'd recommend following your doctor's advice.

I now drink 6-8 cups a day...Splenda, a little Hershey's cocoa powder or SF vanilla coffee Mate.

As a matter of fact, I'm enjoying a big cup of it right now! ;):D

Good luck!

I have 1 cup if regular coffee every morning with fat free creamer and a sweet and low. I've had no issues and I'm losing weight.

My surgeon did not forbid any kind of coffee. However it did not sit well with me for about 2-3 months post surgery. I was worried I'd never be able to have it again. Then about 3 months I was able to drink it again without burning in tummy and also enjoy the taste. Ever since then I drink about 2 cups a day with half and half in it. Sometimes more. I track the half and half calories and they are a lot but so worth it. I have a key rig and usually do one cup regular and one kcup Decaf mixed together because I do tend to get palpitations if too much caffeine.

So if coffee bothering you just give it some time and try again in a couple months.

I've been drinking Chike since Day 4, no issues (my surgeon doesn't necessarily agree with caffeine, but it is actually part of my Migraine protocol, so he okay'd it in limited quantities) One Chike Protein coffee/day fulfills my caffeine needs, but doesn't put me too far over. It tastes great and I haven't really missed coffee at all with that as a back-up. Syntrax nectar makes a cappucino flavor (I haven't tried it yet, but I have a packet in my cupboard)

I haven't tried regular coffee yet...mostly because I usually have it with flavored creamer, and until I order some SF Torani to give it a little kick, I don't want to fall into a sugar trap.

As you may have read, different doctors have different protocols as to pre- and post- surgery diets. Thank goodness, my doctor did not have anything restricting coffee....... I drink two cups a day in the morning, and one cup at around three in the afternoon. Are you restricted from coffee bc you were recently banded, or will you be restricted from coffee FOR LIFE? I would never suggest you go against your doctor's protocol, but I have learned through MY JOURNEY that I was going to try to use my band to live a life of "NO MORE DIETING, NO MORE RESTRICTIVE BEHAVIOR (except with SUGAR......my ENEMY), and NO MORE "all of nothing behavior//mindset." I feel that has been the key to my weight loss journey. Can't offer you any specific advice on how to live w/out coffee, other than how I learned to live without sugar. I do not buy it. I do not bring it in the house. I sometimes excuse myself from being at a table when certain trigger foods are served. Best Wishes!

i drink 3 cups of regular coffee daily. Two in the morning and one at night. Coffee at night is like a dessert for me. I told my doctor from the get go that I was concerned about coffee. He said it was fine post op if I could tolerate it. Well, caffeine has never affected my body chemistry so I'm good with it. It does not keep me up at night. Wishing you the best!

To show that I am " sicker" than the average bear...the coffee thing is one of of my top two concerns. Take most of my stomach, take away donuts, lose some hair, and never hit a sushi Buffet again....can deal with. Take my coffee and I have to think long and hard about this. :)

Coffee...all day all the time....cannot live without it..my first cup was about 18 hrs after surgery - Black!

I love my coffee and giving it up pre-surgery has been the toughest thing about this whole process. My Nut said no caffeine between now and post surgery until I'm able to drink 64 oz of Water a day on a regular basis. She and the surgeon have lots of concerns about dehydration. *sigh* <_<

It gets better. I'm 6 months out and I think I pay more attention to my Bialetti stovetop espresso pot than I do my boyfriend some days!

By the way, if anyone likes Cappuccino but don't want an expensive machine, get an Aerolatte battery operated milk frother. I'll probably be buried with mine at this point. lol

To show that I am " sicker" than the average bear...the coffee thing is one of of my top two concerns. Take most of my stomach, take away donuts, lose some hair, and never hit a sushi Buffet again....can deal with. Take my coffee and I have to think long and hard about this. :)

AMEN TO THAT LOL!

I had Decaf espresso with half cup of steamed milk the first week home - it rocked! I still do now, three weeks out, but am allowed to have regular instead of decaf now - after having to get off caffeine, I'm avoiding going back to as much as I was having, so now only do one a day like a lot of other sleevers. It's better for me and for my gut! Good luck. Oh, and I too love Chike!