Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 5 months post op and down 100lbs, 2 shirt sizes and 3 pant sizes. Needless to say the sleeve is awesome and one of the best choices I've made.

Now I want to stop losing. I've gotten the "you look sick" a few too many times in the past week or so so I feel it's time to stop losing

Any suggestions? My dr wants to hold off until I am 6 months but worry about losing any more

Ok, here's my opine, and it might seem harsh. 1) have you hit the 70% of the total amount you need to lose according to the Dr.? 2) are the people that are saying you look sickly heavier (or slightly overweight) themselves? 3) Are YOU at the goal that you invisioned for yourself when choosing this surgery?

See it really has nothing to do with others opinions about your journey in this process we call WLS. I just had my year check up w/the Dr. and my only long range goal was to have made the 70% weightloss mark by this checkup. Sure, I gave myself lots of mini goals along the way, but 70% was the biggie for me. And damn if I didn't achieve it!! Now, do my arms jiggle, sure. And I won't even get into what's happened to the "girls!" So, who cares, I sure don't. Instead of limiting yourself because of things others are saying, focus on what YOU want out of this experience. Weightloss IS going to slow down after (if not during) month 6 and beyond. Focus on YOU...the final results are really about what makes you a happy and healthier person at the end of the day.

So, if people are commenting about your looks....it's probably because they're having a hard time adjusting to the new you. But are you happy with how you look? If so...then don't worry over their comments. If not...start saving for plastics or work on toning what you can so you might improve things. ;-).

Take care,

Annette

100lbs, 2 shirt sizes and 3 pant sizes. sleeve is awesome and one of the best choices I've made.

@@micphd

happy you are rightfully loving your new best friend the sleeve :)

Its fine to listen to other peoples comment/thoughts

but.............don't let them rule your life :)

if you feel you have lost sufficient/good amount of weight - you feel great et al

then YOU make the decision to continue and lose more weight - or to stop losing

its YOUR choice :)

don't go by certain #s such as BMI, your weight

many times those charts don't "fit" the person

I've heard some/many others say they have successfully lost desired weight - BUT the "chart" still says thats too high

listen to YOUR body

if you are done losing - your decision - then maybe up your calories a bit :)

down 2 shirt sizes :)

3 pant sizes too :)

100 lbs!!! :o

OMG - you have enterred the century club :rolleyes:

holding the door open :)

we love getting new handsome faces in the group :)

good luck

kathy

congrats

I completely understand what both of you are saying. I lost 100 pounds with my band in 2011 getting down to 146# at 5'7" (about a size 4-6). At 42, I had never been that little. I also received a lot of comments that I was getting too thin. The comments were from family as well as work friends and I feel like they were genuine.

Over the course if the next year, I put on about 15 pounds. Then, when my band slipped and they removed it, I ballooned up to 200# almost instantly!! I am now 11 days postop with my sleeve.

At age 46, my goal is to be healthy, live life, and yes....look hot in some kick-butt clothes! lol! Pre surgery I was doing boot camp classes, yoga, hiking, stand-up paddle boarding....all without the constant concern of what others thought!! It was amazing!! I don't want to get as thin as I was before and had the same concern with 'shutting off the weight loss'. I would be interested in other folks thoughts on this topic as well.

I went from a 3XL down to a size small in shirts and from a size 46 down to a size 33 in pants. I left that decision up to the nutritionist. During one visit she said I was within 5% of bottom. On the next visit, after dropping another 10%, she said, if I loose any more weight, I should call her immediately. So I figured I was at bottom. I suffered no ill effects - no hair loss, or weakness. I have been within my bottom weight 160.0 pounds within a 2 pound margin for the last 6 months.

I was never super thin when I was at a healthy weight so I dont know for sure... but I suspect we are all so used to being and seeing overweight people that normal thinness looks sickly. But its truly not. Go by how you feel and what your doctor says, but I wouldnt stop just due to some people insinuating youre too thin. Ask em where they got their medical degree from.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches