Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loose skin! Do you have it or no? Is it inevitable?

Who has got it? Who doesn't? Is it inevitable? I did not realize before my surgery that it is pretty much inevitable, especially because I am looking to lose a little over 100 lbs. this scares the crap out of me! Especially because of my overnight work schedule it makes it a little more difficult to get my butt to work out than it would for someone who doesn't. I don't want to have cosmetic surgery. I do have age on my side but I already have the body of a 45 year old woman at 23 years old (not joking). I'm going to try to make more of an effort to at least get my booty outside to walk up the hills on my road if I can ever wake up after my shifts! Anyway... Please share how much you have lost and whether or not you have a lot or a little or no loose skin thanks :) (also I know SOME will happen but I'm hoping it will be an amount I can emotionally deal with). Better than fat in my eyes!

WendyDarling19 I am sooooooooooo worried about that since I am way past the skin spring back age...but to old to also think about reduction surgery too...so I will just grin and bare it and be thankful that the pounds are off...but am trying my best to exercise to maybe help alittle bit. Have a great day!!! :D

Try and exercise as much as you can, especially weight training, I regret I didn't initially.

Ladies....I'm 55 and lost 125 pounds. Under my clothes, I look like a Shar-pei. You are correct Wendy...better loose skin than being fat. I know I'll have to investigate plastic surgery but at least I look fine in most clothes and that will have to suffice for now.

I did a good amount of working out while loosing my weight. I thought I was young enough to also spring back but in some areas it did not happen. I would also suggest the weight training while losing the weight. My arms look pretty good but could be a lot better if I did the weights early on. The inside side of my legs are saggy. I personally wouldn't wear higher shorts but if I did I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them. I've lost 110 pounds and I'm 29. I did lose it faster than I expected and that could have some bearing on the extra skin too.

I did a good amount of working out while loosing my weight. I thought I was young enough to also spring back but in some areas it did not happen. I would also suggest the weight training while losing the weight. My arms look pretty good but could be a lot better if I did the weights early on. The inside side of my legs are saggy. I personally wouldn't wear higher shorts but if I did I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them. I've lost 110 pounds and I'm 29. I did lose it faster than I expected and that could have some bearing on the extra skin too.

Thank you! My problem is that I'm big all over so I'll probably have excess skin all over which really stinks!

I'm 36 years old, 5'11, girl, banded in April 2013, starting weight of 326.2, have lost 107 lbs in the last 13 months, still want to lose about 60 pounds. I have a pretty saggy stomach. Not a panni that hangs down, but just a bumpy stretched out stomach. I think that is mainly from being pregnant while I was overweight (14 years ago). My arms are a little bat wing-ish, but not horrible. My upper thighs are saggy, but not horrible. Plastics would probably be the icing on the cake when I'm at goal, but I'm not desperate to have anything done. You really have to wait and watch how your body reacts to the weight loss. Losing with the band is at a much more reasonable pace than with other surgeries. Your body will slowly adjust as you lose. Try not to trouble your thoughts with the "unknown". Focus on eating right and listen to your band. The rest well come in time. Good luck and hang in there!

I'm 36 years old, 5'11, girl, banded in April 2013, starting weight of 326.2, have lost 107 lbs in the last 13 months, still want to lose about 60 pounds. I have a pretty saggy stomach. Not a panni that hangs down, but just a bumpy stretched out stomach. I think that is mainly from being pregnant while I was overweight (14 years ago). My arms are a little bat wing-ish, but not horrible. My upper thighs are saggy, but not horrible. Plastics would probably be the icing on the cake when I'm at goal, but I'm not desperate to have anything done. You really have to wait and watch how your body reacts to the weight loss. Losing with the band is at a much more reasonable pace than with other surgeries. Your body will slowly adjust as you lose. Try not to trouble your thoughts with the "unknown". Focus on eating right and listen to your band. The rest well come in time. Good luck and hang in there!

Trying not to trouble my thoughts with the unknown is not something I can do very well lol. That's all I ever do with everything hehe. I will try my best. My asking because I'm curious and I seem to see a little bit of rippling in my belly already and I'm not even 1/2 way to goal

Hi Wendy:

Better to have arms like bat wings, boobs that resemble small tear drop trailers, saggy inner thighs, and a cottage cheese butt than to be so overweight that you cannot enjoy all the things you want to do in life.

My theory is: there was a surgery out there to help us lose weight, if that skin doesn't spring back into place in a couple of years, there is surgery to help that too. :lol:

I've lost 90 lbs and I have loose skin on my thighs, arms, boobs, and stomach areas. I personally don't want to have it removed but I think at some point I will. It's not bad but I wear particular types of clothing to cover it up. And my but is just fine lol

Edited by Lady VS

I was banded in December 2011 and at that time weighed 230lbs. Fast forward to now and I've lost 100lbs and have reached my goal. I definitely had extra, saggy skin. But I also have 2 kids and pregnancy had caused some of that too. I had the "Mommy Makeover" surgery a year ago. Tummy Tuck and a breast lift (not implants). For me, it just helped "complete" my journey. My body is not perfect. I'm 39 yrs old and know that I won't look like I did 20 yrs ago. I just hated the fact that all the excess skin was not letting me wear the size I was. For me mainly the excess skin was my stomach and thigh/butt area. I didn't have excess skin on my arms though so that was good.

The excess skin is what gets to me most, honestly. I hate it, it makes me even more self conscious than my weight does. I just know I can't do anything about it currently as I'm still 150 pounds away from my final goal weight.

Edited by alicesandra

Yup I've got it terrible! The batwinga on my arms are the worst! My insurance won't cover cosmetic surgery so I'd have to fly to Mexico to have it done but that could take me a few years to save up. At my age however batwinga come with the territory lol

I'm 5'4. I've lost 66 lbs so far and have went down about 3 clothing sizes. I have bat wings!! The loose skin on my arms drive me nuts, but I'm not experiencing it anywhere else. I was terrified of this before the surgery and now I'm learning to deal. Like a lot of others said, weight training is the best cure for it, to tighten it up. I'm progressing towards doing more because it isn't going away as quickly as I like but for the most part I just wear a lot of short/quarter length sleeves as opposed to anything sleeveless. I hope to be able to go sleeveless one day but for now, I'm just glad to feel lighter!

I have a ton of loose skin but it sure beats the alternative. I am just now getting around in investigating options but it will really depend on whether or not my insurance will cover any of it. I am willing to bet I would easily be down another 10lbs if I were to shed this loose skin.