Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are some ideal soft foods

I finally get to eat soft foods and need a list or idea of what are some acceptable soft foods

This is what I lived on: scrambled eggs, creamy Peanut Butter, greek yogurt, refried Beans, cream of mushroom Soup, and very well pureed lean meats like turkey hamburger.

Refried Beans and cheese with hot sauce was what I ate almost every day during soft phase. I also ate tuna with light mayo smooshed up really well and pureed roast chicken.

If you like them, try Underwood Deviled meats that come in the can. They're not too high in calories but have some good Protein and are easy to get in. Plain yogurt (add your own sweetener) is also fairly good, but to me it got old really quick.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, I ate egg salad, canned corned beef hash, applesauce, cottage cheese with applesauce, apple butter, or crushed pineapple in it, pureed canned pears (in fruit juice or water), mashed avocado. My favorite dinner during that phase was when I made 4-cheese manicotti for my family. I can't have Pasta for 6 months, so I took a little of the fresh, homemade Tomato sauce and put it in a ramekin, topped it with my 4-cheese mixture (ricotta, mozzarella, parmesano-reggiano, asiago, and fresh italian parsley), then a little more sauce and mozzarella/asiago on top and baked it in the oven. YUMMY.

When I made tacos for the family, I had homemade refried Beans with salsa, cheese, and a little dollop of greek yogurt and avocado on top. I made potato leek Soup and rounded out the meal for the family with grilled cheese sandwiches. Black bean soup with cilantro, cheese, greek yogurt on top, and make quesadillas for the family to go with it. You have to be a little creative during this phase, but it can be done! :)

Hope that helps!

I ate a lot of...

Scrambled egg topped with some cheese

Fat-free refried Beans topped with cheese (add some plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream)

pureed chicken or tuna with mayo and mustard.

I'm not allowed any carbs, but I like turkey or chicken meatballs, sashimi, poached fish, whipped cottage cheese, cream of chicken Soup with Protein Powder, baby belle cheese, hummus, scrambled eggs.< /p>

Ricotta mixed with low sugar or sugar free jam (I like marmalade) is really tasty (and a touch of almond butter if allowed). I LOVED ground turkey or lamb (my doc allows ground meats during the soft foods phase) mixed with greek yogurt and feta. The Laughing Cow cheeses are pretty good and very soft. I had never used canned chicken before but I was surprised at how nicely it turned into chicken salad (with greek yogurt, a tiny bit of mayo and seasonings) that I tolerated really well.

Thank you for some ideas. I was thinking as well as hoping soft foods would be items like chicken salad, tuna salad, Pasta salad, baked chicken, mashed potatoes, green Beans, peas, Mac n cheese, baked beans, scramble eggs, oatmeal, grits,broccoli, corn things of that nature. Looks like I'm totally way off base.

Thank you for some ideas. I was thinking as well as hoping soft foods would be items like chicken salad, tuna salad, Pasta salad, baked chicken, mashed potatoes, green Beans, peas, Mac n cheese, baked Beans, scramble eggs, oatmeal, grits,broccoli, corn things of that nature. Looks like I'm totally way off base.

I've had to face the fact that items like Pasta salad and Mac n cheese are things that I will no longer eat.

For one thing, my surgeon says I can't have any pasta (or bread, rice, tortillas, English muffins, crackers, etc) for 6 months after surgery. That is because these kinds of refined carbs can form a Gummy, sticky ball in your stomach and cause a blockage.

Secondly, even after 6 months, if I eat pasta there won't be room in my sleeve for the Protein my body NEEDS, and eating carbs makes you crave MORE carbs and doesn't keep you full as long as Protein, so it will lead to weight regain. I didn't go through this surgery just so I could gain the weight back!

You should definitely check with your doc or NUT on this, but I suggest you seriously reconsider adding pasta back to your diet for these reasons. I MAY have one or two bites of Mac n cheese down the line AFTER I have eaten my 3 oz of protein and few bites of veggies IF I still have a little room in my sleeve, but then again I might not because I don't want to start craving carbs again. I don't want to regain!

I did make a steamed cauliflower, covered it in homemade cheese sauce (the same sauce I used to make for Mac n cheese) , sprinkled it with buttered bread crumbs, and baked it in the oven until the crumbs were crispy. .... It satisfied my craving for Mac n cheese, didn't sabotage my eating plan, and was guilt-free!

By the way, it may be some time until your sleeve can tolerate corn, but mashed potatoes are ok during the soft stage, and so is oatmeal as long as there is no sugary fruit/flavorings in it.

I'm glad you could find some suggestions here that will help you with the soft phase. Good luck!

What about the chicken and tuna salad as well as the Beans and peas. I really appreciate your inputs. I don't want to go through all this only to gain my weight back as well. All advice is welcome and appreciated. Thank you

What about the chicken and tuna salad as well as the Beans and peas. I really appreciate your inputs. I don't want to go through all this only to gain my weight back as well. All advice is welcome and appreciated. Thank you

I'm surprised your surgeon's office didn't give you a printed list of foods you can have at each stage? Tuna salad is OK if it's very moist. I'd use mostly Greek yogurt to moisten it with just a touch of mayo for flavor, otherwise it can rack up calories fast. chicken is harder to digest, I'd wait a little on that, although a tiny bit in some cream of chicken Soup should be OK. Beans and peas are ok if they are PURÉED like baby food. That option didn't appeal to me so I just waited a couple more weeks till I could have them whole, cooked. I still can't eat raw veggies yet, this week I am able to start a few tender greens and I'm happy because it's been more than a month since I've had salad but I won't be putting carrots or celery or anything like that in it. Grits should be OK as long as you don't load it up with sugar and fat (so what's the point of eating them? Lol).

If in doubt, don't eat it! The pain isn't worth it. Call your docs office if you're not sure about something, each surgeon is a little different in their requirements.