Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

drinking 30 min before & after

I was wondering if everybody follows this rule, not drinking 30 min b4 and 30 min after...I try very hard not to..30 min before is ok..but I usually have to have a sip while im eating...really trying to break this habit....but I always feel guilty when I do it... like im pushing the food right through even tho I still only eat small portions ...

This has been a hotly contested topic for quite some time. Most doctors want us to follow the guidelines you speak of but others don't. If food only stays in our pouch 1 minute, why do we have to wait 30 minutes after a meal to drink??

I usually don't drink with meals at all, but if I'm having leftover chicken or fish that's a little dry, I'll sip as I eat and if I don't, I'll get stuck. I do drink shortly after a meal though. Here's a link to a video of one leading surgeon who is OK with drinking while eating. The entire video is very informative:

http://youtu.be/ZZCE8pGJHG4

thanks so much !

@@2muchfun

karina33 I stick to the 30 minute before and after...but like tmf says sometimes a sip does help drier foods slide down a bit better. try not to drink alot with your meals though if at all possible...okay!!!

This is the rule with lapbanders 30 min before or after no ifs .................................

My doctor didn't give me the 30 min. before rule, but did say I'm not to drink anything while I'm eating or for 1 hour after and yes I follow this rule:-)

Edited by enjoythetime

Yup…rule follower here!!!!

Stop 15 minutes before and 30mins-1 hour after….

NO EXCEPTIONS! I don't even bring a glass to the table anymore…that ends that problem! :P

I very seldom...get anything to drink when I go out...but have a treat for myself now I get a unsweet tea in a to-go cup that I ask for right before I leave, that is usually 30 minutes later...so it is a way I make sure I don't drink anything, but I have never drank with my meals and always stop 30 minutes before and wait 30 minutes if not more after. Just routine stuff actually to me anyways.

Hope you all have an awesome Holiday Weekend...be safe and careful out there and don't forget to remember those who gave their ALL and those that have and are still serving this Great Nation!!!

Nope I don't listen to it unless I feel like the drink is making me too full. I don't feel hungry that often so I don't think it's a problem for me at least. I have a hard time getting liquids in on their own so the only time I actually remember to really really drink is when I have a meal

My surgeon said 30 before 1 he after. I followed for the longest...didn't seem to make a difference. I've discussed it with my surgeon and he said to keep doing what I'm doing cuz it's working.

I don't recall the exact instructions from my surgeon but I try to give myself a decent buffer... except when I'm treating myself to a glass or two of wine with dinner. Then all bets are off.

Rules such as these, and many others are broad general rules given to everybody in the beginning...my Dr. actually had me following his drinking before and after rule BEFORE I had surgery...along with all the other rules.

I asked why...and a few occasions, and the responses I got from him and everyone else was that once the band begins to function as it should, knowing these rules may be the only way to get through a day...and a new lifestyle...so begin to get them into your head now.

There is no way to predict how everyone will respond once they get to that place either...so all rules are broad and general....

I'm coming up on 4 years banded....I still follow all the rules, but they have turned from broad general rules for everyone, to specific modified rules that only apply to me.....

So back to drinking with meals...yes, I was taught 30 minutes before, and 30-45 minutes after.....NOW, that I know my band and how it interacts with food, etc, I find I can drink right up to I begin eating...then I have found, for myself, I CANNOT drink while eating without having everything come back up right there at the table.....and after eating, I take sips now and then and can tell when it is safe to drink again..sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes as long as 45 (rarely) so yes, I know food can still be there way after I'm finished eating...I had it come back up 20 minutes after....everyone is different, the band is adjustable! What one person finds true for them will not always be true for the next person....

It's all about personal experiences....

I tell my surgeon all these little variations I find different with me as opposed to what I was taught in the beginning, and he's fine with it...he had no way of knowing where I or any of his patients would be at this point.

Same goes for carbonated drinks,( I do with caution) crushing meds, (I don't have to) and of course eating habits (very hard to learn)....and there are many, many others.

Everyone is a little different, as you progress post surgery and begin living a new life, you find that new "Groove"...but in the beginning you have no choice but to follow the rules strictly, count calories and measure portions, and learn them...sooner or later there will come a time (hopefully) you will be glad you did.

Edited by B-52

I'm coming up on 4 years banded....I still follow all the rules, but they have turned from broad general rules for everyone, to specific modified rules that only apply to me.....

everyone is different, the band is adjustable! What one person finds true for them will not always be true for the next person....

It's all about personal experiences....

I tell my surgeon all these little variations I find different with me as opposed to what I was taught in the beginning, and he's fine with it...he had no way of knowing where I or any of his patients would be at this point.

Same goes for carbonated drinks,( I do with caution) crushing meds, (I don't have to) and of course eating habits (very hard to learn)....and there are many, many others.

Everyone is a little different, as you progress post surgery and begin living a new life, you find that new "Groove"...but in the beginning you have no choice but to follow the rules strictly, count calories and measure portions, and learn them...sooner or later there will come a time (hopefully) you will be glad you did.

"to specific modified rules that only apply to me"

I cherry picked your post but must say, well said. Some of us adapt to our band to allow it to work for us. Some stick to the original rules. But we all have to seek ways to make this little piece of plastic work it's wonders.

Follow the band, when the band says no, I don't like that food, don't eat it. When the band tells us it's OK to have a beer, one beer, don't question it. Flow with what your band tells you. Don't fight it.

Very good Point B-52!

Just came from my doctor today. He said the drinking rule was made to prevent food regurgitation. If you are ABLE to drink with your meals, it's ok. Sometimes I do. sometimes I don't.

My doctor gave me no rules for drinking other than to limit the amount of liquid with a meal. I guess to make sure I get enough food in.

So far, I've been okay. Which is a really good thing because pre surgery, I probably had three to four glasses of Water with every meal. (Which sounds crazy! How did I ever eat as much as I did?) Now it's just one glass.

I hate to admit this but until I read this post, I never knew there was a rule to not drink 30 minutes before or after a meal. (That's probably not good)