Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1-week Surgiversary plus a little rant

I'm down a total of 36 lbs, which is fantastic. I started this journey at 310, and I'm now at my lowest point in about 10 years (I think I was around 270 after I gave birth to my youngest. I could be wrong though...it was a while ago) I am slightly irritated that I'm still so swollen that my clothes are not reflecting the loss, and I am frustrated that I can't do much walking because my stomach HURTS (I hit 3300 steps yesterday, which was an accomplishment. Pre-surgery, I was doing 10k steps). I know that I need to give my body time to heal, but I am ready to start MOVING!

Last night was a bad night. I was told that "This time last week you still had your whole stomach. I am sad for your missing stomach" and "God gave you a stomach because he wants you to eat." To say I saw red would be an understatement. After the pain I've gone through in the past week, to say things like that just irritate the everloving fuck out of me. And I'm agnostic bordering toward atheism, so saying God did anything is guaranteed to get me to turn a mute ear. By that same token, God gave me a gall bladder for whatever reason (it's been gone 9 years), a thyroid gland (partially gone for 6 years) and reproductive organs (non-functional for 10 years due to surgical intervention).

Just because some Big Invisible Friend allegedly gave me something doesn't mean that it works. And when you have something that isn't working as intended, you fix it. My stomach wasn't working as intended, for whatever reason. I had no shut-off, and whether that was physical (I couldn't read hunger cues) or mental (because food=comfort). So I fixed it...with the aid of a surgeon. He and I decided together which surgery would be best for the amount I have to lose, for my general health and for a lot of other little reasons that go into making this kind of momentous decision (I didn't just close my eyes and point to a chart for which surgery I wanted. I thoroughly discussed the options and chose the one that was best suited for my situation)

So in closing, don't bother with the pity for my missing stomach. If you want to feel anything for me, feel happy that I took control of my life for a change. Feel happy that I can walk up and down the stairs as intended, without heaving for air at the top or limping up them one step at a time (that is my NSV for today...walking up and down the stairs without pausing and without painfully pulling myself up one step at a time) Be glad that I took this step before my health deteriorated to the point where I would need my hips and knees replaced (my knees...oh my knees...they feel completely different with just this small amount lost. I am SO looking forward to walking longer distances and eventually starting the C25K.)

Keep fightin' the good fight! :)

lol, God gave me a malignant tumor in my right arm and no one told me they were sad for my missing malignant tumor when I had it cut out. I'm an atheist but I'd like to think that if I were religious, I would believe that God found my surgeon for me and blessed my surgeon with skills, dedication, and compassion.

God also gave me wisdom teeth and no one was crying over those when I had them yanked, either.

Whoever told you this -- if they dye their hair or bleach their teeth or anything like that, tell them that God gave them beautiful mousy brown hair with gray streaked in, or blessed with with yellow teeth, and you are crying for the way they destroyed God's handiwork.

Edited by Bufflehead

I'm not agnostic nor atheist and I still think that was an insensative thing to think , let alone say!! You did the right thing for you!! Tell them to get stuffed!!

God knows we are not perfect. He gives us challenges so that we will be a testimony to others. You are doing great,Keep it up.

Happy one week Surgiversary and also Congratulations on your decision. I'm happy for you that you are feeling the difference in your body although you don't yet see it. And about the God topic; I don't ask you to believe in God, the decision is yours. But I do challenge you to tell Him that if He is real, to make Himself known to you. So that you can see for yourself what all of this talk about Him is about. Then make your decision and go from there.

People speak without really thinking how cruel it will sound or how it will make you feel. You made a choice to have better health. I will almost guarantee that if that person had an attack of appendicitis they would beg to get it removed in order to live and not suffer and die needlessly early. You have been in your body long enough to know what will happen and what sufferings are down the road; and you addressed it before those things got a stronghold. What is the difference? I am proud of you for taking that courageous step to live a better life; just as one who needed surgery to have "whatever" removed that caused them health problems. You addressed yours too.

Don't let the naysayers bother you. Hold your head up and be proud of what you have done for yourself because it is not an easy route, but rather a necessary one.

I understand the swollen part! My stomach is bigger thanbefore surgery, itwill go down. Had surgery May 13th

My belly was so swollen my sister made me pose for sideways pictures because I looked pregnant. So glad I was such a source of entertainment for her! Despite losing pounds, all of my jeans were too tight to wear for at least 2-3 weeks because of all the swelling. Sweats and elastic waists for me. And of course things hurt and you can't walk as much as you could before. If you had a leg amputated, would you expect to be playing basketball one week later? Even though we can't see it, you did just have a major organ mostly removed. Remember to give yourself time it heal and take it easy. My work partner had a hysterectomy shortly after my VSG and it was a good 3 weeks before she even started to feel normal again. Sweats and elastic waists for her, too. Major surgery is major surgery.

Ask them where God grows all the chemicals that are placed in our food so they dont mold and rot. That must be some garden. Naysayers be gone! Ranting is good, you cant keep those feelings in or stress will build up. Just do what I do pretend you didnt hear it. It really works even when they are in your face with their naysaying words!

I beieve in God and believe he gave us the good sense to stay healthy and alive. You are very wise to take this daunting challenge. Many people couldnt go through what we do preop or post op. My husband has had two procedures; band in 2000 - RNY in 2011 - he is alive today because of this life saving procedure. He is an Atheist so we all have the sense to do what is right regardless of who gave us a stomach.

Edited by Monarch1966