Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am 12 days post op and still not having an appreciate (not that I am complaining) but I do want to ensure I am getting enough nutrients. I will eat in the morning and then not until night time my stomach sends the hunger signal to my brain and it dawns on me I am hungry. I am still on full liquids and have been doing well when I ate but I do not really finish any of my servings. Should I contact the doctor about it or wait until my 6 week check-in? I am not sure if it's just normal because I see so many who do talk about being hungry is there anyone else who was early into the band that did not have an urge to eat? Am I drinking too much Fluid, I drink at least 100 oz daily?

Hunger is all over the map that early on. I didn't have much hunger for several weeks postop on full liquids unless I snacked on a pudding or something between liquid meals. That would arouse my appetite. Enjoy it now because hunger will return eventually. Then you'll get band adjustments and have months of adjusting. I do best when I don't snack and when I eat few if any carbs. I'm ten weeks postop. Good luck and keep us posted! Also don't worry about calorie intake this soon. Protein first and hydrate. Some days I had 500 calories that early. Later you'll want more. But at 6 weeks out I was told 800. I average about 900 now except that I'm on vacation so it's higher right now.

Samirax6 Congrats and Welcome to Bandland...as for the appetite...I know that I was weeks after my surgery that I didn't have one...however, not to scare you becuz everyone is diff...but later on my appetite came back and then I needed to remember that the band was merely a instrument to assist me with weight lose...so you need to remember to limit what you eat and be careful of what you eat too. we are gonna be here to help you through everything issue you have and I personally hope each of them are small ones... Congrats again dearheart...now you are one of us and we will be here for you!!! Have a great day!!!

Like they said everyone is different and depends if your doctor put any Fluid in your band during the surgery. My doctor put some in mine (not much) and I am 7 weeks out and still my hunger is not that bad (knock on wood). I eat 3 meals and one snack and stay below 800 calories and I get hungry around my time to eat but that is about it. Good luck and just follow your docs instruction exactly how they are written. Don't eat anything not on their list for you or too early and stay with the amounts they tell you.

Hmmm...I was banded in September and I don't think I felt real, tummy-rumbling hunger until I smelled my Mom's turkey at Thanksgiving :) I still have to remind myself at times to eat. But, we are all different and what happens with me won't necessarily happen with you.

I have discussed my lower appetite with my surgeon and my nutritionist and I've been told to enjoy it as long as it lasts. The only thing my nut requested was that I eat a "snack" at 3:30 each afternoon (based on the schedule I told her I was following). So, I set my fitbit to buzz each day at that time and I grab a Protein bar or almonds and munch...even if I'm not too hungry. And, I have to admit, I feel better for it.

So, don't stress too much about your appetite in these early days. Just follow your guidelines and enjoy your new life! Good luck!

My only caveat to you would be to ensure that you are getting enough fluids in as it is easy to become dehydrated. There are Protein shots that you can get which will help you keep up with your Protein nutrient intake in a small amount of Fluid in take try to get them if you can I think Walmart has them a pretty low price. You want to keep that part up as well so you don't start losing hair and muscle tone.

http://www.bodyfortress.com/liquid-protein-shots

Congrats on your band and best of luck to you!!

Edited by lisacaron

@@Samirax6 so happy for you -- some people have to really battle hunger in the early days and what a relief to have that dormant appetite. For me, the timing worked well for my first followup to assess for a fill. My surgeon had no calorie or Protein goals for me during this time, just one directive: listen to the band. I spent a lot of time in those early days doing just that. Seeing if I was hungry, feeling what swallowing was like, going very slowly and just trying to notice everything. Good luck -- you are doing great!

Thanks for the help, I started muchies today and so far the same!!!

I've learned that I don't need much food -- I have tons of energy, no weakness or feelings of lacking nutrients, etc. That's what the fat reserves are for, right? I eat when I'm hungry and don't eat if I'm not. My life is so much simpler now! I still love food, just in very small amounts at appropriate intervals and only when I'm hungry. Not for fun or stress relief, nor am I kidding myself anymore that "I should eat."

I can understand that too, I have done more things in the past week then I have done in the past year. I have taken all six of my children places with me and normally I go with one and also I have more stamina then before too! The other day I did five songs on the dance party in a row and there was no way I had energy to do that before, also my carpal tunnel is not bad and that day going into surgery (15 days ago) I had the worst flare up that lasted 3 days. There is even a difference in the stamina to play video games with my children, again where I could only play 1 round before my hand hurt I am not giving up the remote to share. These are small things but ones that I am so happy to enjoy because I couldn't before.

<p>So I am 12 days post op and still not having an appreciate (not that I am complaining) but I do want to ensure I am getting enough nutrients. I will eat in the morning and then not until night time my stomach sends the hunger signal to my brain and it dawns on me I am hungry. I am still on full liquids and have been doing well when I ate but I do not really finish any of my servings. Should I contact the doctor about it or wait until my 6 week check-in? I am not sure if it's just normal because I see so many who do talk about being hungry is there anyone else who was early into the band that did not have an urge to eat? Am I drinking too much Fluid, I drink at least 100 oz daily?</p>

I didn't get hungry until day 13, I'm only on day 15 and I still have to remember to eat. Once I started eating I got my energy back and feel better and went for a 45 minute walk!

I think you're fine. I would say just try and make sure to get liquid Protein in there. After my last fill, I've hardly had an appetite at all. It's increased in the last few days though. I am totally happy to not have an appetite, because I don't then have the desire to eat.