Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I had my RNY gastric bypass on Monday, May 19th. The first and second days were pretty rough for me with pain and nausea. Getting in and out of bed was the hardest- I would feel an intense stinging at the incision site- especially on the left side. It felt like my stomach would rip open. However, the nausea subsided on the second day, and that second night I was able to sleep SO peacefully.

I was feeling really encouraged... Today was my discharge.

From about noon-till now I haven been experiencing a major sense of pressure/pain/tingling in my abdomen and kinda radiating to my back. The pain meds seem to not be touching this at all. It is only relieved when I lay down and do not move.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas if this is normal or abnormal?

Please let me know! This has been kind of discouraging.. Although I do realize surgery was only two days ago.

Your body just went through a major change nothing is normal right now but if your truly concerned call your surgeons office! That's what they are there for CONGRATS!!!!! and good luck keep us updated

Hello, i wanted to know if you're from NY ? This is last month of my requirement journey. ( my around visit with my surgeon on June 4th ) what is to be expected that day ? I'm just so nervous.. Millions of thought racing through my head and no way of putting them on here lol.. I'm just a little worried about the approval. Everyone tells me not to worry I'll be fine.. But heck there's always a little preoccupation ... What do you think .. I have Healt First. My BMI is at 47.. I weigh 253.. I gained maybe 10 lbs since I started in December.. Which I doubt would be a problem being that I need to lose a little weight before surgery..,

Nani,

I had the same issue. Very intense left side abdominal pain. They were never able to make it go away in the hospital. I felt it the same day of the surgery and felt like I was having back spasms up and down my back. This pain is slowly going away and I am at day 17. But I heal slowly. My doctor said it was very intense because they used that incision (I only have 4) to go in and out of the most. Just take it easy and try an abdominal binder. It really helped me feel supported and it made it easier to walk and sleep. It will get better. Every day...listen to your body. Best wishes ;)

Thank you for your responses to my concern.

No changes this morning. I forced myself to finally shower.

I looked at my stomach at the incisions and the incision on the left side where all this pain/pressure/tingling is stemming from looks different than the others. I kinda looks my skin was folded inward, like a Tummy Tuck. So now that area of skin folds inward and the rest of my incisions just hang naturally on me.....

I don't know if I am describing this to the best of my ability. I called the nurse at the bariatric center to discuss this. In the voicemail I started crying, of course. This is the first time I cried about this whole process.

Has anyone heard/experienced an incision like this?

I just am praying so badly this isn't a mistake..... ????

Thank you for your responses to my concern.

No changes this morning. I forced myself to finally shower.

I looked at my stomach at the incisions and the incision on the left side where all this pain/pressure/tingling is stemming from looks different than the others. I kinda looks my skin was folded inward, like a Tummy Tuck. So now that area of skin folds inward and the rest of my incisions just hang naturally on me.....

I don't know if I am describing this to the best of my ability. I called the nurse at the bariatric center to discuss this. In the voicemail I started crying, of course. This is the first time I cried about this whole process.

Has anyone heard/experienced an incision like this?

I just am praying so badly this isn't a mistake..... ?de13

Mine did the same thing, fold in that is. I believe that is normal. It is still swollen and will be like that for a few weeks. Try to calm down and relax. Stay hydrated and rest.

Thank you :)

I called the nurse and she got back to me right away. She said that the fold is very common and it almost looks like a "second navel".

She said that it flatten out, and as angel face (thank youuu!!) suggested, she recommends getting an abdominal binder for extra support to relieve some of that pressure.

She also said that crying is normal bc there a lot of shifts in hormones (I'm kinda already a cry baby lol)

I feel so relieved now, and am so thankful for this site with people who have or are experiencing similar things... It is just wonderful!! :)

Thank you :)<br><br> I called the nurse and she got back to me right away. She said that the fold is very common and it almost looks like a "second navel".<br><br> She said that it flatten out, and as angel face (thank youuu!!) suggested, she recommends getting an abdominal binder for extra support to relieve some of that pressure.<br><br> She also said that crying is normal bc there a lot of shifts in hormones (I'm kinda already a cry baby lol)<br><br> I feel so relieved now, and am so thankful for this site with people who have or are experiencing similar things... It is just wonderful!! :)

You for this and you will look fab!!!!! Prayers for you in your recovery

Everything sounds normal and just like my experience. Think about how major this is-your inside area has been rearranged and tugged at. Pain is normal and this is major surgery. Everyday gets better and pamper yourself and treat yourself special during this time. You don't need any additional stress! Try listening to music you like, meditating, reading, anything to distract your busy mind and walk around the house. The more you move the better. I walked around my house like a crazy woman!

Nani, yes the pain on the left side is more than any other area and it will last for about 3 weeks ( at least mine did,I hope yours is not too long) what helped me is the pain med at night and sleeping on a recliner and place a pillow on your left side. When you wake up get up slowly and place your hand on your left side for a little support. I also slept with a heating pad on it the second week ( check with you dr first) and that seemed to help. I am 5 weeks post RNY and the pain is almost all gone it's just still sore when I get up in the morning. Lastly as painful as it sounds try and walk even if in your home but walk to your comfort level, walking helps the muscle heal. Good luck sweetie and hope it gets better soon.