Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking back on your journey if you're post op, is there any advice you could share about pre-op, post op, struggles, complications etc? Is there anything you would do differently? Is there anything that you wished someone would have told you before having the surgery?

I've done all my research about the sleeve and read a lot of stories and listened to what my doctors have to say. However it's always different hearing it from someone who has gone through it themselves. =D

So, I've gotten some great advice & learned from some great mentors here on BP. This is what I I follow...

The best advice I've ever received (and I live by it):

1) UNDER-EAT YOUR SLEEVE

..... "I can eat 1cup of rice. Is that to much"... Well, yeah. If your doc tells you 1/2 cup of food, why are you even putting a cup in front of you???

Other great advice:

2)Water Water WATER

3)you aren't a naturally thin person, don't try to live like one.

I guess mine would be that it is a lot of work! A ton more than I thought!

Tracking everything I eat in myfitnesspal, planning out the Vitamins (no Iron with Calcium etc), and planning all the Snacks (and water!) for the day so I meet my Protein goals and don't have crap to snack on. Oh... And bringing my workout clothes so I can get my daily workout in.

Worth it? Oh absolutely! But I guess I thought I could just sit back and let the sleeve do the work... Not true unless you want to feel like crap all the time.

I wish i had one inkling about the emotional, mental and physical stress we would endure even if everything went perfectly. I feel so a lone a lot with my feelings and no one really understands all the changes unless you have traveled this road.

That is why for me this forum is extremely valuable. Even when I get kicked in the butt with tough love!!! And you all know who you are... ;) People who have been there, done this know and can identify with your travels.....Stay close to those who have been there and seek out those that will graciously help you over the many hurdles yet to come!!! OKAY! :)

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

I agree with the others here. Before the op anyone I asked told me it was a breeze. I'm sure they meant well and wanted to be supportive but I went through the first two months constantly worried and regretting every minute. I think we should know it's hard work and be prepared. It's still totally worth it

I agree with all of the above... the only additional thing i would add is get use to making yourself a priority! This is takes a lot of planning & dedication, but it becomes like 2nd nature I feel like after you are on solid foods… I felt by month 3, I had a routine down… and it no longer feels like “dedication or hard work” it’s my way of life now… its a good life & so happy i did this for myself!

I asked for best advice from my NUT and it was mentioned above....SMALL portions! Eat till no longer hungry dont strive for full. The first 2 months eat by the measuring spoon and clock because you can't yet trust the hunger signals.

I am 2.5 years post op and maintaining and think small portions is why I have good restriction.

Since this is so often requested, I thought I would post my thoughts into a new thread where I can direct folks in the future. This is what has been working for me:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/308293-my-vsg-life/

sobrien89,

When you are in the hospital----WALK, WALK, WALK, SIP, SIP, SIP.

Getting the amount of Water in at first is difficult--it can be done if you're constantly sipping small amounts of water--or flavored water if your sleeve can't handle it. I know for me after surgery, warm liquids went down better than cold. Even now--if the liquid is too cold my sleeve doesn't like it.

I don't know if there is a way to prepare yourself for the mental part of this. It was much more than I expected before surgery.

It is such a drastic lifestyle change that happens overnight. I come to this site because the people here completely understand when it comes to that.

Give yourself time to heal from the surgery. Do what your body will allow you to do with regards to physical activity. This is a major surgery and your body needs several weeks to heal.

I hope your surgery goes well and you have an easy recovery.

Welcome down the trip down the "loser's" highway.

Kathleen

Wow! I'm so excited to see so many replies. Everything you guys said is a huge help. Thank you all for helping me. I guess I'm just really nervous because I'm having a revision from the lapband to a sleeve. I had such problems with my lapband that I kind of lost sight of my goals and gave up and I really want the sleeve to be different. It really gives me a heads up on the sleeve and I'm feeling much more comfortable after hearing your advice. It sounds like it's going to be a really hard process however worth it! I'm def going to stick around here and I look forward to talking to everyone on here and really getting to my goals :D