Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your thoughts regarding Bananas?

I have surgery scheduled for early June.

My Nut said she doesn't like the idea of putting a half banana in my Protein Shakes. She thinks it adds too many carbs. I am going to follow the rules for everything my WLS team lays out for me....except for this. I just can't. Every morning I make a strawberry-banana smoothie w/chocolate Protein Powder. It is the best way to start the day! I can drink two per day which is one whole banana. I already don't eat too many carbs and I am pretty sure I'll eliminate them altogether after surgery. I think it's a bit crazy to not allow myself one banana per day especially seeing as it makes getting Protein and liquid in so much easier.

I am not the patient who will tell myself that eating bad food is okay simply because I have a tiny stomach now. I am not looking for ways to skirt the rules of the post-op diet or make excuses for eating the wrong things. But it's ONE BANANA. Could it really be that bad?

What are your thoughts? Did your post-op diet excluded bananas?

My post-op diet included bananas and my nut never told me I couldn't have any. Adding half a banana to a smoothie adds that extra froth which makes it taste so much better, especially when you have to choke down those awful Protein shakes. I see nothing wrong with having one banana a day- if anything it also gives you potassium which you also need.

Eat the banana, lol.

Why do you think that you know more than your dietician? All she is trying to do is make sure that you get started correctly and make most out of the tool. I think you should try her way to begin with. I know I do not eat bananas.

Bananas are a killer slippery slope for me. Pre-op I could eat 5 or 6 a day. My post-op plan allows for one serving of fruit a day, but it is to my benefit to eat a few berries instead of my beloved banana. To compensate for savoring the flavor, I bought banana flavored Protein powder and add banana flavoring. If I want the strawberry banana kick, then I make my smoothie half strawberry Protein and half banana protein. If I feel like it, I make it 1//3 banana, 1/3 strawberry, and 1/3 chocolate. I do not miss swallowing chewed up banana; I miss tasting the banana. I have gone so far as to put a sugar free banana popsicle in my smoothie. So, here's to being creative.

My plan allows half a banana a day. I do more like half a banana every two weeks or so.

I have surgery scheduled for early June.

My Nut said she doesn't like the idea of putting a half banana in my Protein Shakes. She thinks it adds too many carbs. I am going to follow the rules for everything my WLS team lays out for me....except for this. I just can't. Every morning I make a strawberry-banana smoothie w/chocolate Protein powder. It is the best way to start the day! I can drink two per day which is one whole banana. I already don't eat too many carbs and I am pretty sure I'll eliminate them altogether after surgery. I think it's a bit crazy to not allow myself one banana per day especially seeing as it makes getting Protein and liquid in so much easier.

I am not the patient who will tell myself that eating bad food is okay simply because I have a tiny stomach now. I am not looking for ways to skirt the rules of the post-op diet or make excuses for eating the wrong things. But it's ONE BANANA. Could it really be that bad?

What are your thoughts? Did your post-op diet excluded bananas?

I too male my shakes with body fortress. I use a half a banana and strawberries too. Another good one is choc. and raspberries. Love it! I am post op and have a shake about 4 days a week. I also put in greek yogurt and skim milk and get enough shake for 2 meals and about 45g of protein. Have the banana. I just use the smaller ones and have half a day. I havent been told not to have anything thats healthy for me. Good luck to u.

My program doesn't forbid them, but one medium banana has 27 grams of carbs and I am only allowed 30 to 60 grams per day. So.... I don't eat bananas because I would have to skimp all day for the rest of my food and shakes. I log everything on My Fitness Pal to keep me on the right path.

Does your nut give you direction as to grams of carb, Protein and fat you are allowed per day?

I'm 3 months out and allowed 700 cal. per day--30-60 carb; less than 30 fat and 65 Protein.

Also am to eat protein first, then veg and then fruit if I have room and no more than 3 oz. per meal

Hope this helps and wishing you the best with your surgery

Sure one banana isn’t bad, but it could lead to many bananas. Same can be said for drugs and alcohol. I spent an hour yesterday with my psychologist covering this topic. We will all make mistakes, but isn’t the point of having this surgery to put you in control of eating instead of the other way around? Until I reach my goal weight, I plan on following the NUTs suggestions as best I can. The three rules are no high calorie drinks, no grazing and no alcohol. Once my goal is reached, I will be able to conduct controlled experiments on what to eat measured by my own weight. In other words, I will set a normal block in 5 lbs range. When I reach the top of this range, it will be time to evaluate what I have been eating or why I have been eating more or exercising less. Then make a change. This will take a lot of effort.

Its a half of a banana, not a bag of cookies! Just watch ur intake.

My NUT also warned about bananas. Limit

To 1/2 per day. To many carbs will slow down your weight loss before and after surgery. I had diabetes preOp and was watching my blood sugar. Carbs have a definite definite affect on your glucose levels. Happy to say that now I am diabetes free.

I don't understand why there are so many folk out there, including dieticians, promoting low carb diets for WLS people. Seriously ... I don't get it. Sure, for "regular" folk out there in the wild, yes. Most people do consume waaaay to many carbs. But when I look at my portion sizes post VSG, it just is plain impossible for me to go overboard on carbs when I focus on eating a balanced diet everyday.

Sure, post VSG, I could go overboard with the carbs, but to do that, I would need to neglect the basic guidelines of eating lean Protein first. Your body needs carbs for energy. So often on here we see posts from people complaining of having little energy. More often than not, they are doing low carb. These folks don't have the energy to go out and exercise and get their metabolism going, which, in itself, offers great health benefits.

So, to answer a question posted earlier ... no ... I don't think all dieticians know the best plan for WLS folk. It is different for us, IMO. At least, I know it was for me. If given a choice between occasionally choking down a nasty Protein shake and enjoying a nutritious, natural shake which contains bananas ..well ... the choice should be easy.

I know I had issues with energy early on and my NUT told me to increase my carbs, which I did by adding more veggies to my meals. It worked wonders for me and helped motivate me to begin running. I KNOW it made all the difference in my weight loss and helped me to get to a "normal" BMI.

Of course, we all should follow our medical team's advice. But I also believe we need to find what works for us.

Edited by PdxMan

Totally agree with Pdxman. I am 5 months post op and my only restrictions are get in my Protein and keep my fat and sugar down. It works for me! I am down 94lbs and feel good every day. It works! They havent mentioned anything about carbs. If u are eating the right way and concentrating on ur healthy Proteins then carbs arent an issue. Like was said, you need good carbs to function. All this hype over a banana. Its all about Portion Control.

I eat them when I feel like it. It is hard for me to finish an entire one though, so I usually split one with my little girl. I don't see the harm.

Edited by Teachamy

@@Butterflyhigh my bariatric dietician never said we shouldn't eat bananas or fruit, but she does stress that one serving of fruit is a half of one medium piece. So perhaps instead of having both bananas and strawberries, use half serving of strawberry and one quarter of a medium sized banana? Fruit has so many positives even though yes it does have carbs and sugar.

I'm studying Nutrition as well and fruit has way too many good benefits for me to ever consider never eating them.

Of course you should always do what's right for you!

Good luck on this crazy journey.

Irene

@@PdxMan Because carbs are like crack, the more you eat, the more you crave. Your body gets addicted to them and wants more.

Also on your post you said the body needs carbs for energy.

Your body needs 0 carbs. You can live a healthy life without ever putting another carb in your body. As long as you supply enough Protein so your body does scavenge muscle tissue, the Protein will be turned into glucose and used for energy/fuel.

Edited by Bob2013