Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone tried/is trying the Couch to 5k? (If not, what exercises do you do?)

One of my coworkers is a crazy runner, like 7 miles a day. She loves to run and says this time last year she never ran, but started it by using an app in het phone called Couch to 5K. She said running strengthened her core and helped her reduce a tremendous amount if belly fat (one of my trouble areas even after losing 76lbs)

She recommended it for me since I've always wanted to run, but find it too hard. I did it yesterday with the intent of just "power walking" whenever the app instructed me to run, but found myself actually running for the 60 second intervals and only walking when the app instructed me too. It was great and I was so proud of myself for doing an entire 30minute walk/run session.

Has anyone tried it or is doing it now? How'd it go? Did it actually get you to the point where you could run a full 30 minutes? That's the part I'm having a hard time buying. I'm currently doing it in a treadmill because our weather is so weird right now (90 degrees one day, 60 degrees and rainy the next). I plan to do it every other day and will spend the off days doing weight lifting to hopefully muscle away the bat wings.

Search couch to 5K and there are several threads on this. Indeed lots of folks here have used the app. I used it last year and did my first 5k last December. I've since completed another 5k and have checked it off my bucket list. My advice is to go at your own pace. I started at about 3.5-4 mph and now I can run much faster at about 6 mph. Have fun and invest in good shoes. :-)

Yes! I started it in January and ran my first 5k in April and have one this weekend. I'm not fast, but I can run 30 mins without stopping easily and can do 5k in about 43 mins. That's the one thing I would say about couch to 5k...it does get you running 30 mins without stop, but if you are a slower runner that might not be a full 5k. I will work on building speed next!

I am doing a similar program with the goal of a 10k in October and a 1/2 marathon next Feb!

I do 30 minutes on a treadmill and then 16 circuit weight machines daily and 3 times a week I take an aqua aerobics class. Seems to be working for me right now.

Melbooks what are you using? I'd love a next step. Doing a 10k in August myself and a half next April!

I tried c25k last summer, but my knees didn't like it at all. I plan on doing it this year...I'm hoping that my knees are in better shape post-surgery :P I can tell they are already, even when I'm only down 25 from the pre-liquid diet. I have a few friends who have used it and swear by it

@@jess9395 Honestly, it's just a mish mash of a bunch of other training programs. I'm only 6 weeks out from surgery so right now I'm focused on working on my run/walk intervals. I subscribe to the Jeff Galloway method (http://www.jeffgalloway.com) where intervals are continued through your runs. I have no desire to run straight for 30 minutes, plus as Jeff believes, you will hold off injury and actually be faster in the long run if you use intervals!

My goal for the 10K is to be at a 4/1 interval. We'll see how that goes and I'll probably maintain that for the 1/2. Maybe 6/1 if things are going well.

<p>@@jess9395 Honestly, it's just a mish mash of a bunch of other training programs. I'm only 6 weeks out from surgery so right now I'm focused on working on my run/walk intervals. I subscribe to the Jeff Galloway method (<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.jeffgalloway.com'>http://www.jeffgalloway.com</a>) where intervals are continued through your runs. I have no desire to run straight for 30 minutes, plus as Jeff believes, you will hold off injury and actually be faster in the long run if you use intervals! </p> <p> </p> <p>My goal for the 10K is to be at a 4/1 interval. We'll see how that goes and I'll probably maintain that for the 1/2. Maybe 6/1 if things are going well. </p>

Thanks for sharing! Been looking at his stuff!

Yes! I never ran a day in my life and in February started using the Couch to 5K app. I'm running my first 5K on June 1st and am now training for my first 1/2 marathon. I think it was a great tool. I knew I wanted to go to the gym but was so intimidated.....treadmill seemed like the safest place to start. I just downloaded the app and started one day. Now I run 4 times a week for about 3 miles each time. Give it a shot!

Okay, so before I had surgery I did c25k. I didn't do it the regular way, though. None of that robotic voice.

I did Zombies, Run 5k. It's an app on your phone that helps you train for 5ks. It's kind of an extension of the original app Zombies, Run which is just as awesome. Why is it different?

It tells a story. You are literally a character in a story. Not only are you running, but you'll do a few seconds of skipping, some squats, heel lifts, all to get yourself conditioned as well. When I did it, my stamina was amazing. I found myself running for ten minutes or more at a steady pace.

You can also put your own music to it which makes it even better.

I totally recommend it. Even though I'm three weeks post-op, I did week one over because it is so light (walk for 10 minutes, slow jog for 15 seconds, walk 1 minute...repeat).

Whoa, I'm so pleasantly surprised at how many runners and C25k'ers there are on here! I'd never even heard of the app until my co-worker showed it to me on her phone. Yesterday I felt fine, but today the top of my legs hurt and I've got some shin splint action happening. Also the side of belly hurts a little, like the muscles are sore. I guess I'm working new muscle groups that rarely get worked out. I'm going to try and stretch a little before I run tomorrow. I;m hoping that it isn't too rough on my knees, though *knock on wood* ever since I dropped the weight, my knees seem to be hurting a lot less.

Okay, so before I had surgery I did c25k. I didn't do it the regular way, though. None of that robotic voice.

I did Zombies, Run 5k. It's an app on your phone that helps you train for 5ks. It's kind of an extension of the original app Zombies, Run which is just as awesome. Why is it different?

It tells a story. You are literally a character in a story. Not only are you running, but you'll do a few seconds of skipping, some squats, heel lifts, all to get yourself conditioned as well. When I did it, my stamina was amazing. I found myself running for ten minutes or more at a steady pace.

I totally recommend it. Even though I'm three weeks post-op, I did week one over because it is so light (walk for 10 minutes, slow jog for 15 seconds, walk 1 minute...repeat).

WOW, that sounds really cool. I'm going to look that one up, though I probably can't do it on a treadmill. Maybe after I finish the C25K, I'll try that one. I plan to actually run outside once I get my stamina up.

<p>Okay, so before I had surgery I did c25k. I didn't do it the regular way, though. None of that robotic voice.</p> <p>I did Zombies, Run 5k. It's an app on your phone that helps you train for 5ks. It's kind of an extension of the original app Zombies, Run which is just as awesome. Why is it different?</p> <p>It tells a story. You are literally a character in a story. Not only are you running, but you'll do a few seconds of skipping, some squats, heel lifts, all to get yourself conditioned as well. When I did it, my stamina was amazing. I found myself running for ten minutes or more at a steady pace. </p> <p>You can also put your own music to it which makes it even better.</p> <p>I totally recommend it. Even though I'm three weeks post-op, I did week one over because it is so light (walk for 10 minutes, slow jog for 15 seconds, walk 1 minute...repeat). </p>

Sounds so fun!!! I may have to check out zombie run!

Whoa, I'm so pleasantly surprised at how many runners and C25k'ers there are on here! I'd never even heard of the app until my co-worker showed it to me on her phone. Yesterday I felt fine, but today the top of my legs hurt and I've got some shin splint action happening. Also the side of belly hurts a little, like the muscles are sore. I guess I'm working new muscle groups that rarely get worked out. I'm going to try and stretch a little before I run tomorrow. I;m hoping that it isn't too rough on my knees, though *knock on wood* ever since I dropped the weight, my knees seem to be hurting a lot less.

WOW, that sounds really cool. I'm going to look that one up, though I probably can't do it on a treadmill. Maybe after I finish the C25K, I'll try that one. I plan to actually run outside once I get my stamina up.

If you are feeling it in your shins make sure and stretch your achillies tendons!!!!