Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much of ur long term success is from developing healthy habits or actual restriction?

what an interesting take!

i would find it hard separate these things... i had a fairly healthy lifestyle before surgery... except for the huge portion sizes and all my emotional eating. you can get fat on healthy food too!

i did exercise, but wasnt able to do what i wanted with my fat body.

so for me i would say my healthy lifestyle will be managing my emotional eating (in many ways) and my restriction will take care of my portion sizes... so, both.

I want to thank you all for your replies. As a 1-month PO it was fascinating for me to read. It's difficult for me to even imagine eating more than my 1/3 cup of food without feeling the restriction. I feel kind of "freakish" around others while eating as my tummy is so small. It's nice to know it will normalize somewhat.

My diet is extremely protein-forward and I don't see that changing as my health is very important to me. I just hope I have the same success as you folks! :)

After 2 years I can eat more than before but still less than everyone around me. I can tell when I have over done it. I stay in range because of the food choices.

Healthy eating trumps small tummy

After 2 years I can eat more than before but still less than everyone around me. I can tell when I have over done it. I stay in range because of the food choices.

Healthy eating trumps small tummy

I agree with you, Brown, and um, WHY are you posting at 4Am??? :)

It's both for me. I did learn new habits in the early days, and I try to stick with them. I still have restriction, but not like I did in the early days. I sure wish I did! That made it so much easier. Now I can overeat if I don't watch it. So, I have to rely on those habits to keep things in line. However, I do have enough restriction to keep from going too far overboard.

I can't say that there is any rhyme or reason for why or when I'm hungry. Some days I'm just hungrier than others, and I think it's genuine hunger, not head hunger. The other thing I've noticed is that my weight loss stops when I go through periods of hunger, even if I'm 100% on plan. I know dietitians would not believe that, but it's true. I just spent the last 3 months at the same weight, no matter what I did, and it was a real struggle to stay on plan because I was hungry (but I did it). I think the increased hunger is my body trying to make me eat because it is hanging on to every last ounce. Then, all the sudden, for no reason at all, my hunger will decrease, and my weight will start dropping again for no reason at all, because my intake has not changed. This past week, I started losing again.

The thing I have to stay away from is candy. There is no restriction when it comes to candy. It's around all the time, at the bank, every check stand I come in contact with etc. It's a choice and decision not to eat it if it's offered or buy it no matter how good it looks. I still have a sweet tooth and no amount of restriction is going to hold me back if I decide to start eating m & ms.

For me, it's a combination. Before WLS, I had to eat a huge meal to feel full. Now, 3 oz. of Protein, 1/2 cup of veggies, and 1/2 cup of something starchy is my max. Sometimes I have 4 oz. of Protein and less of other stuff. So grateful to be able to eat a normal sized meal and feel full!

But I could eat really fatty stuff or eat junk foods and gain very quickly, even with the restriction. I learned that my first holiday season at goal. Hello Sees candy, I'm talking to you!

As for getting hungry, I think a 4 hour window is fairly normal. I expect to feel hungry a little before I eat. I think it's a healthy precursor to enjoying my meal. I go from I feel full, I feel comfortable, I could eat, mmm food sounds good, to it's time to eat! This is a very nice change from my pre-op hunger, which was a raging beast. I would feel so hungry my stomach hurt.

Georgia, If I don't get enough fat with meals, I get hungry quicker. Doesn't take a lot. A couple teaspoons of oil or butter, few slices of avocado, or a fattier meat all work for me. I'm only three years out, so not sure that will work for you, but you might want to try.

Another thing I've noticed, if I don't get enough calories earlier in the day, after dinner, I feel hungry and like I can't get full. I have a super strong urge to snack all night. When I feel that way, I go to bed early and take care to eat a little more earlier in the day the next day.

Lynda

I can eat a lot! And can eat around the sleeve too. I do eat around 2 cups of food at dinner... can eat lots of salad...and junk and at other times get the breaks put on by the sleeve at very little food (may not even be protein) I have to write it all down and plan for healthy choices to keep on track. Restriction is a great tool, but will not keep me from gaining all by itself. I can def eat more now than I could at one year out. If you don't have the healthy eating plan in place, you may be caught in a weight gain cycle at some time. It has happened to the best of us at some point. The more tools in the tool chest, the better life you can build!

I can eat a lot! And can eat around the sleeve too. I do eat around 2 cups of food at dinner... can eat lots of salad...and junk and at other times get the breaks put on by the sleeve at very little food (may not even be protein) I have to write it all down and plan for healthy choices to keep on track. Restriction is a great tool, but will not keep me from gaining all by itself. I can def eat more now than I could at one year out. If you don't have the healthy eating plan in place, you may be caught in a weight gain cycle at some time. It has happened to the best of us at some point. The more tools in the tool chest, the better life you can build!

That is so interesting, Kim, because I CANT eat a lot of salad. And wish I could! A few bites will fill me up to point nothing else goes down and then I get hungry in a very short time. It's summertime e and I'm going to try to keeps lot of fresh stuff on hand. Right now too many refined foods going in this mouth. :)

Georgia! I would be so sad if I couldn't eat a bunch of salad! Funny thing, this summer, watermelon fills me up so fast. Not early out though... go figure!

I agree that there is a combination of both. Restriction is still strong for me at 3.5+ years later BUT it's certainly easy to eat over my daily caloric goal. (My goal is about 1500 calories a day but it's easy to creep towards 1900!) The other day I was eating fast food (I know, I know, not the best choice!) but at chick-fila I had 4 chicken nuggets and about 3 waffle fries and that was it. There was no room for anything else (their salad w/grilled chicken would have been a better choice!)

So restriction is still there but the healthy eating HAS to be part of the equation too. I'm sure in my pre-sleeve days I would have no trouble eating a 12 piece chicken nuggets, large fries and a diet coke, plus room for more, like an ice cream cone, etc. So yeah the sleeve does still force Portion Control for me anyway.

Such great advise from some successful sleevers! @@M2G, it's good to hear your take as well.

Along the lines of feeling hunger after eating...One thing I've been playing around with the past couple of week is drinking after my meal...sometimes it's hard to wait that 30 minutes. I have found that if I can stretch that 30 minutes into 45 or 60 minutes, I don't get as hungry as fast. It makes sense if you have watched the YouTube video of the guy with the funnel explaining why you shouldn't drink during or immediately after eating.

I'm envious of those that can eat salad. I can eat about 1/4 cup - it has to be finely chopped and I have to eat it very slowly. I used to love sitting down to a nice big cold salad on a summer day.

This is a great thread!

I can eat a lot of salad. That is my go to food when I go out to eat wtih anyone who doesn't now I am sleeved. Lettuce chews down to nothing. Now if I am eating one with chicken mixed in, of course I can't eat as much of the actual salad.

Okay, maybe I said this already. I have restriction BECAUSE of behavior. So, they are interrelated and indivisible.

I have restriction due to a pattern of "eating small" and being used to small portions and being used to absence of hunger rather than being stuffed. I also have it from the pattern of eating dense Proteins and veggies. Like most, I could probably eat a whole box of crackers or other sliders... I don't want to find out. :)

Healthy habits, hands down. I make decisions based on the food available and what is best for me most of the time. Of course that doesn't stop me from eating a half a bacon cheeseburger junior at 5 guys once in awhile. That's when the restriction helps remind me of Portion Control :)