Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've read in the packet from my doc that I need to ween off coffee before surgery. Why can't we have coffee? The caffeine ? And when can we start up again? Do all docs require no coffee?

I drank one small cup of coffee every morning up until the day before surgery. I would gradually wean yourself off of it now if you are an all day coffee drinker. Otherwise you will have caffeine withdrawal headaches to deal with in the liquid stage pre-surgery and post surgery. I have only had a few sips of coffee post surgery (I'm almost 5 weeks out). I used to be (and still am one of those people who couldn't get my morning started without it.). I drag in the mornings but drinking it post-surgery isn't an option for me. My pouch is tiny and the acid in the coffee burns it. It also gave me uncontrollable diarrhea on two occasions that lasted a few hours. The number one long-term complication with sleeve surgery is developing stomach ulcers. Caffeine, most pain medications and other items have been found to contribute to ulcers.

Edited by Bluesea71

Thanks @ bluesea71 I am addicted to coffee for sure, I was planning in weening myself off but was just wondering why we had to, thanks for the info

I think that it might also have to do with the fact that caffeine is a diuretic, and during a time when you're struggling to get enough Water in, it's not a good idea to be doing anything to derail that.

I drink a home-brewed Cappuccino every morning, and have since I was a month out. From what I understand, coffee can cause some pretty bad GERD symptoms in sleeve patients, so they tell you to stop drinking it to prevent that. My surgeon and nutritionist say it is OK after 4-6 weeks and as long as it does not cause GERD symptoms. :)

coffee can dehydrate you. Especially in the beginning when it is difficult to get in enough liquid. Also it is very irritating to a tummy with a long incision that is trying to heal

I'm just dreading the no coffee, I started to just have 2 cups a day instead of 4 , I feel like a zombie! It's crazy how much I depend on it! But all well worth it

I'm just dreading the no coffee, I started to just have 2 cups a day instead of 4 , I feel like a zombie! It's crazy how much I depend on it! But all well worth it

Trust me, post surgery it's so much easier to implement the behaviors they ask of you pre-surgery. Before surgery, I couldn't master the whole don't drink and eat at the same time if my life depended in it. Now I do it because food fills my tummy and there just isn't room for any liquids! I poured myself 1/2 of coffee yesterday morning and maybe took 3 sips of it. It didn't even taste good and it was Peet's for goodness sake! Wean yourself off now or post surgery you will be adding headaches from caffeine withdrawal to your list if symptoms to deal with. Not fun!

cutiecake,

You can't have coffee for one--it is highly acidic. Your sleeve is healing for several weeks after surgery. The second reason is that the caffeine dehydrates you. It's hard enough to constantly be sipping to stay hydrated and you don't want anything undoing that.

I started to wean myself off of the caffeine several weeks before surgery. I mixed de-caff with caffeinated coffee, (slowly adding a higher percentage of the decaff) to slowly bring my consumption to 100% de-caff. It was damn hard but I'm so glad I did it. I didn't want a headache from not having coffee along with any other pain or problems.

My doctor allowed me to have decaff 1 week after surgery. I used Starbucks decaff coffee because it is supposedly lower in acidity.

I was finally able to drink regular coffee after 3 months. Check with your doc--they're all different.

Getting off the coffee was hard but carrying all that extra weight was worse.

Good luck,

Kathleen

Thanks for the info I will do the half caf -Great idea !--my surg is in 3 weeks I started weening this week, it's hard for me, but u know it's essential and absolutely worth it

I too love coffee! They say caffeine also delays healing. My surgeon allows Decaf after surgery. Honestly though, it didn't taste right. Not because it was decaf, just in general. Took over a month before I could enjoy a cup. It does get better & is so worth it!!

I am not a hardcore coffee drinker, but I do enjoy my cup of coffee every workday morning. I have weaned off caffeine for juicing before in the past. I can do it again. fear the withdrawals of caffeine more than missing the cup of coffee.

My PCP told me about the fact that I had to drink extra Water to make up for a large coffee I was drinking when I went to see her. Later, I checked out the myth about coffee being a dieuretic. According to the mayo clinic and Web MD, If you keep your caffine intake to no more than two cups a day, the water used in making the coffee will still add to the required amount of water that we all need to stay hydrated. Don't get me wrong when the dietician told me to cut out the coffee pre surgery I did, and for almost a year I restricted my coffee intake but I don't think post surgery you need to worry too much about caffine. Just my opinion mind you after checking some medical resource of course.

I was told that coffee was a stimulant which could cause problems with your sleeve and healing. I stopped Coffee 6 weeks out from surgery, plus soda. It was easier than I thought but I only drank 1 cup a day. I have not tried Decaf coffee in the past 10 days post surgery as I guess I am used to not drinking it anymore. My NUT said 6 months before I can have normal coffee and I am counting down the days

I am allowed 2 cups of coffee per day after surgery. Its a great filler between meals and gives me a boost to make up for low sugar.