Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you take for cramps!?

So I've always had pretty bad cramps with my period, but I've always been able to keep them at bay with Ibuprofen in the past. But since NSAIDs are a lapband no no, I have no idea what to do anymore!

I know they say getting on the pill can help with bad cramps, but I was on the pill for 7 years and I still had bad cramps, just a lighter flow. I've been off the pill for over a year now and I still have the bad cramps and light flow (which is nice, but kind of strange. When it hurts that bad you kind of expect a river or something haha). My periods are also short, about 3 days, but it's a rough 3 days.

This is only my third period since being banded and I've been taking liquid Tylenol, using a heating pad, and hoping for the best. But Tylenol has never done anything to help my cramps now or in the past. When it got really bad, I would take some of my leftover Hycet (the pain meds they gave me after surgery) but I have since run out.

So my question is, what do you take for cramps since being banded? And would it be worth talking to my gynecologist about getting a prescription for a stronger medication that isn't an NSAID?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Tylenol is allowed and so is Aleve. No Advil or aspirin

I have been banded for four and a half years and I take Motrin daily for my arthritis and fibromyalgia. Even without the band nsaids can irritate the stomach and I refuse to live in pain. My doctor knows I take it and I take it with food or milk. Its not sitting in my pouch its going straight through. If someone has chronic pain like me they would be in trouble not taking any nsaids.

So I've always had pretty bad cramps with my period, but I've always been able to keep them at bay with Ibuprofen in the past. But since NSAIDs are a lapband no no, I have no idea what to do anymore!

I know they say getting on the pill can help with bad cramps, but I was on the pill for 7 years and I still had bad cramps, just a lighter flow. I've been off the pill for over a year now and I still have the bad cramps and light flow (which is nice, but kind of strange. When it hurts that bad you kind of expect a river or something haha). My periods are also short, about 3 days, but it's a rough 3 days.

This is only my third period since being banded and I've been taking liquid Tylenol, using a heating pad, and hoping for the best. But Tylenol has never done anything to help my cramps now or in the past. When it got really bad, I would take some of my leftover Hycet (the pain meds they gave me after surgery) but I have since run out.

So my question is, what do you take for cramps since being banded? And would it be worth talking to my gynecologist about getting a prescription for a stronger medication that isn't an NSAID?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

If this recurrent pain is difficult for you to cope with, I would definitely encourage you to discuss this with your GYN about your treatment options.

In the long run, it is just not worth the risks of irritating your GI system with NASIDS. I had foot surgery times 2, and took a total of 4 Advil Gelcaps with my bariatric surgeons knowledge and approval over a 4 month time span for post op inflammation. The result was a painful case of gastritis and a 4 month long treatment with carafate to calm the inflammation.

Your doctor likely knows of more options for you to get the pain relief you need. There are valid reasons for avoiding NASIDS as we were initially advised, and even when the surgeon gives permission to bend the rules, things can go wrong.

Best wishes...

Edited by ♥ Sojourner ♥

I've always taken ibuprofen.... I've had no issues.

Thanks for all the input ladies! I'm going to talk to my GYN when I see her for my yearly in June about it and see what she says. I suspect she'll just give me prescription strength Tylenol, but we shall see!