Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your calorie intake months after surgery

So basically, I am just wondering what everyone's post op calorie intake is months after your surgery.

What type of exercise do you guys do?

Just wondering in general.

Ths whole thing of me wanting surgery is like a huge thing with my friends. They dont want me to get it. They tell me I don't need it and that there are other and better options. What they don't know is that I've been trying this on my own with my mom for 2 weeks on monday, I see no changes in anything. I thought I would have seen at least some by now, and nothing.

It's so frustrating and stressful.

But yeah what is everyone's daily routine as well?

Edited by Erin18

Ive been banded since Dec, 2011, started at 225 lb, now im 160. My daily calorie intake is around 1100 to 1300, depending on the day. I try to track my food/exercise on Myfitnesspal.com, you might want to try that too. I chose exercise that I loved and would stick with , 3 days a week I take a hard swim class, 1-2 days a week I run a 2 mile trail. Hopefully this spring ill increase the amount I run . It says on your profile that you had surgery July 2009, but then you say your friends dont want you to have surgery ?? Im confused, but keep in mind its YOUR body and life, not theirs. Also you may not see alot of results in your 2 weeks, your body may be still adjusting. Good luck ! My lap band =best decision ever !!!

So basically, I am just wondering what everyone's post op calorie intake is months after your surgery.

Ths whole thing of me wanting surgery is like a huge thing with my friends. They dont want me to get it. They tell me I don't need it and that there are other and better options. What they don't know is that I've been trying this on my own with my mom for 2 weeks on monday, I see no changes in anything. I thought I would have seen at least some by now, and nothing.

Well I don't count calories, I count carbs. I was told by my dr that the band doesn't work on junk food so I strictly eat Protein and veggies, right now I am not even eating fruit but I plan to change that in a few weeks. I just try to stay away from processed foods, never any sodas, rarely if I want a treat I'll have an SF ice pop or candy. I am new to all of this though, but so far so good.

Hey Erin. I see that you want to lose half your body weight. If you are that much overweight, you can't listen to friends who tell you that you don't need WLS. There are many reasons people tell us not to get this surgery and sometimes it's not because they have our best interests at heart.

I lost half my body weight and I needed this surgery to do it. I followed the rules, ate around 1,000 calories a day but did not work out because I had mobility issues. Today I'm much better and I exercise in the pool.

Here's my before and after pics so you can see what WLS will help you to accomplish...as long as you do your part. It's a tool, you still have a lot of work you have to do as well.

Good luck with your decision. and remember...it's your decision and no one else's.

post-142630-0-28296100-1400324637_thumb.jpg

This is your decision to have or not have WLS…and it is a BIG decision. One that should be made by you and you alone….since you are the one that must go through it and live with it once the surgery is completed. Hopefully you have support that can listen to your concerns and help along the way). Your friends have no idea what it is like to live inside an overweight body, at least thats been my own experience….you need to do this for you…and only you know if its right or not.

You said you have been trying with your mom for 2 weeks (am I to guess it is a diet??). If so any diet or even WLS will not be a magic wand and the weight will just not fall off in 2 weeks time. We did not get overweight in 2 weeks and it will most definitely not come off in 2 weeks. You must have realistic expectations to be successful.

Wishing you all the success in the world…you can do it!

I am 8 months post surgery…I consume about 1000 calories per day (some days more and some days less--but never more than 1200). As for exercise…i have bad knees and back so I do walking only….Have never liked the gym.

It is all working for me…it is a very individual experience!

Edited by chasingadream

I'm not understanding your post. It says you had lapband surgery in 2009. Are you thinking about a revision surgery?

You and I have basically the same starting weight and I heard the same things from lots of people. That I didn't need it and I could just do it on my own. I even had a coworker start crying and telling me not to do it when I was a week away from my surgery date. Everyone thinks they know what's best for our bodies and they don't. Only you know what's best for you. I decided to get the surgery because I wanted a long term solution to my life-long struggle. My medical problems were starting to get worse and even my doctor told me I was too young to have so many issues!

So don't worry about what other people have to say. They are always going to have their opinions so just get used to letting the comments roll off you. As for your friends, I would encourage you to tell them that this is what you're doing and that you would appreciate their support, because that's what friends do. They support each other's decisions.

You should know though that weight loss surgery isn't a quick fix. It's just a tool for you to use. It's still a lot of hard work on your part. You'll have to change your entire lifestyle, develop new eating and exercise habits, and stick to them. None of the weight loss surgeries work long term if you aren't committed to them. And it takes a while to reach your goal weight still.

As far as my exercise routine goes, I try and do at least 30 minutes of physical activity 4 or 5 days a week. So I ride my bike, jog on the treadmill, use the elliptical machine, lift weights, swim laps, or even just go for a walk. Even walking is better than not doing anything at all. You just have to find something that works for you otherwise it's hard to stick to it.

My other daily routines include drinking plenty of Water, eating mostly Protein, limiting my carb intake, and taking Vitamins. I typically eat about 1,200 calories a day. My body goes into "starvation mode" pretty quickly if I eat any less than 1,000 on a regular basis.

If you want to check out my blog, I detailed exactly what having a LapBand has been like for me and you can read about more of the stuff I do. If you're looking for more insight. The link is below in my signature.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by BlissfullyBanded

Hey Erin. I see that you want to lose half your body weight. If you are that much overweight, you can't listen to friends who tell you that you don't need WLS. There are many reasons people tell us not to get this surgery and sometimes it's not because they have our best interests at heart. I lost half my body weight and I needed this surgery to do it. I followed the rules, ate around 1,000 calories a day but did not work out because I had mobility issues. Today I'm much better and I exercise in the pool. Here's my before and after pics so you can see what WLS will help you to accomplish...as long as you do your part. It's a tool, you still have a lot of work you have to do as well. Good luck with your decision. and remember...it's your decision and no one else's.

Wow gowalking! How much did you lose? How long did it take? I want to lose close to 1/2 my weight also. I started at 250 and want to be at 145 ideally

Hey Erin. I see that you want to lose half your body weight. If you are that much overweight, you can't listen to friends who tell you that you don't need WLS. There are many reasons people tell us not to get this surgery and sometimes it's not because they have our best interests at heart. I lost half my body weight and I needed this surgery to do it. I followed the rules, ate around 1,000 calories a day but did not work out because I had mobility issues. Today I'm much better and I exercise in the pool. Here's my before and after pics so you can see what WLS will help you to accomplish...as long as you do your part. It's a tool, you still have a lot of work you have to do as well. Good luck with your decision. and remember...it's your decision and no one else's.

Wow gowalking! How much did you lose? How long did it take? I want to lose close to 1/2 my weight also. I started at 250 and want to be at 145 ideally

Hi Wendy. Just saw your post. Check out my ticker. It tells you how much I lost and when I had the surgery. All I can say is that the weight goal is something to shoot for if your doctor agrees and wishing you luck on your endeavor. As I noted in the thread, I followed the rules...and I mean I followed the rules. No cheating...no testing the band. I treat myself a little more at this point but always am aware of what I'm eating and how much I'm eating.