Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve and Hypothyroidism

I have taken medications for Hypothyroid for probably 15 years. Since my surgery I think my thyroid is out of whack again - anyone have hypothyroidism, taking meds and been sleeved? Did anything change for you afterwards? (dosage wise and how you were feeling) Did you have just as hard of a time to lose weight?

I'm hypothyroid and on a medium high dose I guess (112?)…the long and the short of it is that I was tested about 3-4 months post sleeve and my levels were good, so they have kept me on the 112. I didn't know if I would be able to go back down or not (I used to be in the 50-77 range for synthroid) but in the end it's no difference to me which dose I am taking.

As far as whether it's hard for me to lose weight? I've done well. I seem to lose more slowly than some others, but I keep my calories around 1200, and I'm getting down to the last 20-30 pounds. I'm not really blaming it on the thyroid at this point.

Edited by Fluffnomore

I've taken Levothryroxine for about 10 yrs now. Had lapband in 2009 and lost 104 lbs. Revision to the sleeve 10 mths ago. 10 lbs from goal of 140. Not one change in dosage.

I get it tested about once a yr (more often since I've been sleeved, however - but thats only cuz I switched dr's) and it never changes. Thought once I lost weight, I'd be able to lower the dose. But what do I care about the dose? It's already a small pill. It's not like they come smaller when u lower the dose...

Good luck!

Pre-op, I was prescribed 25-50mg of Levothryroxine a day. Post-op, they tested my levels and my dosage was increased to 75. I had a really long stall in the month of February and early March, but since then and with the new dosage, my weight loss has been steady. When I go back to my gen doctor next week to get tested again to see if my levels have changed it all.

The biggest difference I noticed was my energy level. When I started taking the 75mg dosage, I could stay awake and felt like I had some energy. Previously, no matter how many Vitamins, Protein, or hours of sleep I had, I felt like a wilted flower.