Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do not follow the leader

Hello everyone, I would just like to say if you find this forum helpful it really is. I believe that while I was a part of the forum using another screen name I was constantly losing weight each week, and I was always motivated to keep up with other sleevers losing the weight. When the weight loss was going good, I dropped back thought I could just do what I want, and now I wish I could turn back the hands of time and get this weight back off. I have only gained back 20lbs but that’s a lot to have gained back in less than a year. I pray that I will be able to get back on the losing side of things. I have so many issues and hardships going on its kind of hard just to stay focused on losing the weight. I don’t regret getting sleeved and I have no one else to blame but myself but I need to really get a hold of what’s going on with me. There’s no point to my post I just wanted to rant a little bit about how I’m feeling about my weight gain. Good luck to everyone that is considering having the surgery it is worth it just make sure you stay on top of what your doctors and nuts tell you.

Hi Fred,

I think you're very brave to come back to BP and admit a very personal part of your struggle. I think we're all lucky that this is the type of website where people aren't holier than thou and won't flank you for making a mistake. I feel the first step in correcting a wrong is acknowledging it, which you've done by posting, so check! The next step is finding a support network because maintaining my weight is the hardest thing I've ever done, so check! Now all that's left is evaluating where you went wrong and what you're going to do to make it right.

I know you can do it. I'm hardly an expert nor a veteran, but there's plenty of both on here that can help you out with getting back on track.

many issues and hardships going on - hard to stay focused on losing the weight.

@@fred2014

welcome back

we've missed you :)

glad you decided/realized that coming back for support/help/encouragement here works for you

its hard when you/me/we have personal issues/problems in our life

to continue being on our new lifestyle program, continueing to lose weight can be harder :huh:

unfortunately some/many/all of us will have to deal with stuff throughout the years

and we shouldn't/must not let these problems interfere with our weight situation

(i know this is much easier said than done)

you are right that you can't turn the clock back

get back on that wagon - i know you can

what is worse than gaining 20 lbs???

gaining 21 lbs!!!! :angry:

congrats on being a smart cookie, and coming back to join the party (we have drinks flowing all day, Water of course ;) )

good weight loss so far

i only see B) success in your future

i know you want to be a loser again - but i think you will continue to be a winner :)

good luck

kathy

oooooops

sorry

double posted :angry:

Edited by proudgrammy

What has happened to you has happened to many, and it's what we all fear. For me, I know I can never lose the focus or I'll be back where I started. I think it's great that you are making a conscious effort to get control of it now, because we all know the weight does not magically come off or stay off. It's work and dedication. You know what to do, and you caught it before it was too late. You can do this!

For the rest of our lives we will struggle to gain control over this addiction. We have used food as the number one go to for a long time. Since the sleeve is a tool and not a miracle we will struggle to maintain our mind set and keep on the path. That is human! I admire your pluck to admit your on the wrong path and want encouragement to change.

Go back to basics. Do a few days of liquids and start to look again at your dietary intake. It is work but in no time the weight will start to come off again. I am sad that we all struggle to not regain...But you certainly have folks here that are willing to encourage your new goals.

Forward go....Water, Protein, veggies, fruit and last but not least carbs...Complex carbs....You got this...Just stay close to the forum and don't go when you think you got it together.....You may find that your experience will help others in the same struggle......

Just keep swimming...:)

I'm still enjoying the benefits of the honeymoon phase. I'm fearful of upcoming stages given my terrible track record of regaining after weight loss.

I'm still enjoying the benefits of the honeymoon phase. I'm fearful of upcoming stages given my terrible track record of regaining after weight loss.

I am so with you on your comment!!!!!!

That is where I'm at too.

Kathleen

fred2014,

I think you're courageous!! It take a lot of courage to admit what you have on this forum.

Like other wise posters have said ---get back in the saddle and you CAN DO THIS.

Blessings to you,

Kathleen

Thank you everyone, I'm not into social scenes that much, but its nice to have a great place to come and just talk about the same issue we all have. Next week I'm getting myself a gym membership and I will start a 1 week pre op diet to get my weight loss started again. I know this is just going to be a struggle but I will get this problem nipped before,I really regret how much I have gained back. So many times and diets and etc, I have tried and I always end up back in the same place disappointed. With the help of the forum and my sleeve I should be able to get back on track. I know its not the end of the world but at your time of need the smallest of problems are the biggest of factors for us all. I have been praying and trying to maintain a positive outlook because eating myself through a bag of whatever is not going to help. Once again thank you to everyone that has left a kind word or even said a silent one that I could not read or see posted.

Hello Fred. Have you ever thought about joining Weight Watchers? It is a weekly support group (you can go to more if you would like) and they weigh you every week. They help you stay in check. My nutritionist said that the people he councils who have joined Weight Watchers after WLS have been the ones who have stayed on top of the weightloss. Its a great plan. Easy to follow....they encourage Protein, veggies and fruit as your first go to and then you can work in your favorites without guilt. I lost 70lbs on Weight Watchers several years ago. I gained the weight back when I thought I had it under control. I now know that the support is what I need. I am having the surgery...hopefully soon....and then joining Weight Watchers when I'm seeing goal in then near future. I have lost and gained weight on every diet known to mankind.....honestly, Weight Watchers is the only smart approach. Surgery will be the tool to take it off and Weight Watchers together with the surgery, will be the tool to keep it off for me. It may not be for everyone but its my plan.

I finally had my first visit with the surgeon a few days ago and feel like I'm really on my way!! I am excited and terrified all at the same time. The first time I read a negative post, my first thought was, "I don't want to hear this." I realize that this won't be all roses, and hearing this from others has made me more determined to meet the challenges head on. I don't have a date yet, but hope it will be within the next 6 weeks. My daughter is joining me on this journey--her insurance requirements are a bit more stringent than mine so she may be a little behind me--I want to be the example that I have not been up to this point. BTW--for those of you who are under the impression that Medicare will only pay for the band or gastric bypass--that is not the case. I was thrilled to learn that I would be able to have the sleeve.

Fred - You've so got this.

None of us are infallible. We're all going to be facing these demons at some time or other.

Its a brave thing to come back and say 'Hey, you lot, this is how it is..'

I admire you :)

Well I have joined Planet Fitness today,and plan to start working out 3 days a week and staying on top of my food intake. I plan on weighing myself only once a week after I start working out so that I don't fall into the same disappointment of weighing myself everyday and seeing the scale go up. I know my life shouldn't be about numbers but lets face it bigger clothes cost more money than smaller ones. I have also noticed that when I buy food I still buy large portions even though it takes me all day to finish a meal. I want everyone to know that a few mistakes will happen along the way but just learn from others and you will not have to make the same mistakes the last person did. Making a mistake is not the end of the world but it sure makes you feel bad when you just seen the numbers go down then they go back up. Have a great weekend ,and thanks to everyone for your support.

Congrats on getting back on track! You are probably not feeling this way right now but your honesty about your situation is such a wonderful example to us all. We will always struggle with food issues and maintaining our weight loss. That's life. You've nipped it in the bud!