Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I 've been a lapband patient since 2010, I ran into complications since last year with throwing up just about every day which has caused me to seek out foods that will slip right through my band, which is usually high calorie, soff foods. I went to see my surgeon on May 1st to discuss the revision. . From doing my research, I think I'll do much better with the gastric bypass. He decided he would do the sleeve. I'm back a my preop weight from lapband and do not want a slow loss or for that matter no loss at all. I feel safe with my surgeon, but I really want the bypass, he said he doesn't feel that I need bypass. To make a long story short, I have an appointment scheduled today to see another surgeon, what do you all think?? Are there any revisioners to sleeve or band that can provide me with any advice. Sorry this is such a long post, but I'm so confused.

Hello, I am not a band to sleeve revisionist, but HERE is a whole sub-forum dedicated to the topic. I'm confident you will find what you are looking for there.

For what it is worth, I have lost 100% of my excess weight with the sleeve.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/394-band-to-gastric-sleeve-revisions/

I firmly believe that it's always a wise decision to get at least a second (& even a third) opinion when it comes to major surgery, especially if you feel this strongly about the procedure you want to have.

If the second (and/or third) surgeon agrees with the first, then maybe you should listen to them. Definitely, though, get that second opinion.

Good luck!

I revised from band to sleeve. Initial consult I did was with a surgeon who really wasn't even interesting in discussing the sleeve with me - he felt gastric bypass is the gold standard and the one to revised to once the band failed. I later consulted elsewhere with a surgeon more biased toward the sleeve and that is where I wound up. I lost 100% of my excess weight - about 160# lost after revision.

I would get more consults, read more and in the end pick the procedure you think will best suit you and your lifestyle after hearing more inputs. It seems that surgeons are about as biased as us patients...haha!

I think you are right to meet with another surgeon, it sounds like your first doctor is not listening to you, I would meet with the second surgeon and discuss why I want the bypass and see if he agrees, I would do what my heart tells me you are the only one that has to live with your choice. Good luck.

Thank you very much!! Your reply is inspiring. I went and met with the surgeon yesterday and it was more so an informational session. He turned me off because he mentioned how he hate to do revisions and he said. 9times out of ten if you fail once you will fail again. I was outdone. He didn't talk to me specifically he was giving his presentation . I knew at that point that I wouldn't want such a pessimistic dr . Operating on me!! :)

I revised from band to sleeve. Initial consult I did was with a surgeon who really wasn't even interesting in discussing the sleeve with me - he felt gastric bypass is the gold standard and the one to revised to once the band failed. I later consulted elsewhere with a surgeon more biased toward the sleeve and that is where I wound up. I lost 100% of my excess weight - about 160# lost after revision. I would get more consults, read more and in the end pick the procedure you think will best suit you and your lifestyle after hearing more inputs. It seems that surgeons are about as biased as us patients...haha!

Oh cowgirlJane, any advice for me. I'd like to be just as successful as you. The reason I wanted the gastric is because after reading about others experience post revision , I didn't think one could lose all if the weight. But you've inspired me. Can you give me the date in which you has the revision , how long it took. Etc. thank you :)

I revised in December 2011 at 308 and it took 14 months to lose 150 and hit my goal of 158 in February 2013. I have since lost a bit more while in maintenance and weigh about 142 now.

You look great!!! That is so inspiring!!! Thank you so much!!!

<p>I think you are right to meet with another surgeon, it sounds like your first doctor is not listening to you, I would meet with the second surgeon and discuss why I want the bypass and see if he agrees, I would do what my heart tells me you are the only one that has to live with your choice. Good luck.</p>

Thank you for the advice!! :)

I was revised from the band to the sleeve in November 2013. My mom had the gastric bypass, so I went in wanting that but did initial research on options and became open to the sleeve. I remained open to both and when I met with my surgeon she told me that I have no reason to get the bypass. She told me she would only do the bypass if I was on two different diabetes medications, and other health reasons. Also another reason why is if I needed my gall bladder out it would be easier to get to verse the bypass. What I believe is all what your health team is considering what is right for you. Also if you don't personally agree with them you can seek out a second opinion with a different then weigh your options. I love the sleeve so far. I am only 5 1/2 months out and so far I am 68 pounds down from surgery and a 100 pounds down since I went in from my first consultation.

<p>I was revised from the band to the sleeve in November 2013. My mom had the gastric bypass, so I went in wanting that but did initial research on options and became open to the sleeve. I remained open to both and when I met with my surgeon she told me that I have no reason to get the bypass. She told me she would only do the bypass if I was on two different diabetes medications, and other health reasons. Also another reason why is if I needed my gall bladder out it would be easier to get to verse the bypass. What I believe is all what your health team is considering what is right for you. Also if you don't personally agree with them you can seek out a second opinion with a different then weigh your options. I love the sleeve so far. I am only 5 1/2 months out and so far I am 68 pounds down from surgery and a 100 pounds down since I went in from my first consultation. </p>

Wow, that is remarkable. Maybe I need to listen to my surgeon. Your post is really inspiring. Any advice on how to be successful? :)

Do what it right for you. You have to live with the decision. My surgeon makes it the patients decision. That being said I feel the sleeve is the best approach. You can always get the bypass later. There are less side effects with the sleeve choose carefully.

<p>Do what it right for you. You have to live with the decision. My surgeon makes it the patients decision. That being said I feel the sleeve is the best approach. You can always get the bypass later. There are less side effects with the sleeve choose carefully.</p>

Thank you, I think the sleeve it is.