Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ladies, facial hair after WLS.... WTH, why is it worse? And does it get better?

I'm one of the unfortunate women who've had to deal with facial hair for all of my post-puberty life. I've been plucking since I was 14 or 15. I realize plucking makes the follicle bigger but shaving causes ingrown hairs and I just can't bring myself to shaving. It's always grown faster during PMS times. So I'm suspecting this is hormone related. But 2 months out, my hair is thinning ( not too badly) but seems to be growing thicker on my face. And I'm getting a fine, light colored beard on my cheeks???? I had a consultation with an electrolosis person a few years ago and had planned to do it but I have a lot of light colored hair that they say it doesn't work well on anything but dark hair. At the time, I didn't want to spend money for it not to work. It's like I have Miracle Grow on my chin. Those of you farther out than me.... Is this the new normal? Does it get better? And for anyone who has done it, what are your results and thought from electrolosis????

Signed, The Bearded Woman

I thought it was my imagination, but I noticed I'm getting some darker upper lip hair that wasn't there before. I'm guessing it's hormonal.

No..no experience with that....not yet anyway but there are schools that need hours of practice time before being certified?????? Like esthiticians office (laser removal), that may be an option.

Hi Janey:

I've always been a hairy beast...LOL! I started getting the facial hair waxed oh...about a year or so ago and I've noticed that it's much lighter than it used to be. So much so that I've stopped with the daily tweezing ritual. You might want to check out the cost and see if it's do-able for you.

yup, hormonal plus if you are taking Biotin, that's going to "help" your facial hair growth.

Note to self: don't take Biotin. Argh!

I've also dealt with unwanted facial hair since my late teens because of hormonal imbalance. I never tried electrolysis but I had laser hair removal several years ago, pre-surgery. It was expensive, painful, and a long process but it did remove about 85-90% of the hair and what didn't go is much finer. I was the "perfect" candidate, light skin w/ dark hair. However the hormonal Hair growth is much more resistant and difficult to get rid of. I tried waxing but got ingrown hair from that. I also bleached it. I now quickly shave the offending few remaining hairs in the shower. You should see your GYN and ask about this. There is a cream called Vanique or something like that that works for some people. I never tried it myself.

DANG!!! Didn't even think of that...bye bye Bioten :huh: ... my hair is fine...my nails are not doing well, but I can add Vitamin E for that, I think...

Never put 2 and 2 together!!! :wacko:

Thanks...very helpful! ;)

I was very religious with my biotin/vitamin consumption. Now, I have hair growing in areas I never wanted hair growing. Believe me. And ... like I'm sure you have read ... it didn't prevent the Hair loss. I still went through it and now ... eeesh.

My surgeon told me that it is the fast release of estrogen from stored fat that causes the Hair loss. My dermatologist said the same thing. On the other hand, I've had many doctors tell me things that didn't turn out to be accurate. I've also been taking Biotin and lots of other vits because I was losing my hair from Hashimoto's. Once I got my meds upped I stopped losing from my head. And I do have lots of hair growing other places too, maybe from the biotin. Sometimes this all feels like a roll of the fuzzy dice (pun intended)

I definitely think the Biotin is making the facial hair worse. My nails are super strong though. I have started to notice, especially in the last week or so that my skin is dry and so itchy. And my hair seems drier. I started another thread about Vit E or Fish Oil (I think they are the same???) to get feedback. I can't find anything I say Vit E will hurt post sleeve. I'm trying to get all my fluids in but rarely meet goal there. So, in a nut shell, I'm losing weight, feeling great, nails look great but hair is drying up/frizzy, skin is dry AND I have a beard. Just goes to show, you can't have it all!!!

@@CrazyJaney be sure to have your thyroid levels checked. Your symptoms are typical for hypothyroid issues. Also try adding to Omega 3 fat rich foods to your diet such as avocado and nut butters.

Thyroid was good preop. When will they recheck it? I'm almost 10 weeks post.

You can ask your doc for the test. I have my levels checked all the time, especially if I am feeling not myself. Docs are usually happy to order the test. I have learned to be an advocate for myself with Docs and ask for the test. I also have to convince them that I need to be ever so slightly over treated to feel well - but that's a whole other topic.