Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im 52...5 weeks Post Op

And for the life of me I cannot get motivated to exercise !! I bought so many workout DVD's, Zumba, have an elyptical. I went on that and lasted 5 minutes ! I know I need to exercise but how do you jump start yourself. I was never a person that exercised at all !!!

Have any motivators ??

Go for a walk outside...get some fresh air

Have any motivators ??

Nope. If you find one that works every time......be sure to clue me in.

I have to spend twice as long motivating myself to go to the Gym as I spend at the gym. It's a chore every time. It seems my subconscious mind is constantly trying to distract me to some other meaningless task just to avoid going.

However, (and I'm not making this up) once I get there and get several minutes into a workout........I get charged up to do more than the last time. And when I leave......it feels so so fulfilling. Of course that fulfillment does nothing to get me outa the house any quicker the next time.

It's always gonna be a battle. Most times the gym wins, but occasionally procrastanation gets one in. But the visits add up and so do the results. Just keep at it.

One added tip: I never had any luck with doing exercises at home. To easy to put it off, telling yourself you can do it anytime cause it's at home. Just too many distraction opportunities. ;)

Edited by Recycled

Start and set a goal. Dont set it too high. I do the treadmill indoor 5 days per week. My goal is 4 days per week and my bonus I try to do every week is one which makes 5. Setting a goal in a week has been great for me. I just know I have to get 4 out of 7 days in. Start with something easier like say 3 days per week. Make a deal with yourself that no matter what you are going to excercise 3 days per week. In the beginnign I always try to get it out of the week as early as possible. Hope that might help. Good luck!!! I never thought this old dog could learn new tricks but I did!

Do you have access to a pool? I'm 20 years older than you but the pool is working for me. Sign up for a class or two. It's much more fun if others are doing it with you. And it burns a decent amount of calories too. It's also very therapeutic. Sometimes it's hard to go but I always come home relaxed and glad that I made the effort to get there.

My motivation is RESULTS! I walk outside at my city's park. Three to four miles, four to five days a week. When I log it on MyFitnessPal and see the calories burned it motivates me. On days that I don't get to go, I feel like a slug! It also keeps my blood sugar low and I need less medication. I regret not doing as much in the beginning as I do now!!!! My legs look outstanding! I hold in my stomach muscles while walking and its firming my lower abdomen. My stamina is off the charts and it give me energy all day!! So many benefits!!! Hard to start, but once its a habit, it is hard to break.

I might suggest a Fitbit (fitbit.com) It is an electronic pedometer but it's also part of social media so you have Fitbit friends. It uploads automatically to your computer every time you are in front of it so you can see how you are doing all the time, and compares it to your Fitbit friends. (I would be happy to be anyone's Fitbit friend). I have about 9 friends on it and I usually fall into #3 or 4 (but I am 60 years old and the ones ahead of me are in their 20's and 30's). But it truly motivates me every day to reach my weekly goal of 70,000 steps. It's just another tool, but a very fun one!

I hate exercise. I set myself a goal to walk every day. First my goal was 30 minutes a day. Then I got up to an hour. Now at 9 months my goal is 90 minutes a day. If you set your goal to walk every day, then if you miss a day or two a week, you still get in enough exercise. After some of the weight comes off you may find something else you like, too. I like gentle yoga now. It is all stretchy and nice and I feel good afterwards.

I have a free app on my phone called Accupedo that is a pedometer. Very useful for tracking how much I walk.

After 5 weeks you life will begain to get easier. Start walking, invest in a fitbit like the nmjg said. Another thing since the weather has changed is to go swimming. What ever you do, move. Remember you had a lifestyle change so dont let your mind talk you out of getting the best that life has to offer you after you got your sleeve. Be encouraged your energy will improve with every step you take, ya just gotta take one!

I highly recommend Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. (no affiliation) I have 11 of her DVDS that are in rotation, along with others (Jillian Michaels, Jari Love) Start doing 5, 10 , 15 mins or so, whatever you can do, and before you know it you'll be doing 3 miles. It took me 6 weeks to get to 3, it's a gradual process. Before I hurt my back back in January I could do 6 miles. I'm 57. No athleticism required for WATP. Love them. Great for really hot or cold days. HTH & Good luck!

Edited by peteyrulz

One thing I've learned along the way is do something you like to do. I don't like to walk or do workouts. Even things like playing ping pong, riding a bike, swimming, running around with kids or grandchildren are ideas. Just doing something to get you moving. My advice is try different things until you find something you enjoy. If you do, you're much more likely to continue doing it.

I was very motivated over the summer and was walking for 40 minutes a day.7 days a week. I'm down to four days a week of step aerobics. Thirty minutes at a time. You just have to make your self.

57 here - and walking is my exercise of choice for now. (I'm 6 weeks out).

Now that it's a bit warmer during the day I walk a mile during my lunch hour (since that time is no longer all about eating!) and then I'll have some sliced turkey and cheese (no bread) and I feel great for the rest of the day. I'll also go to the gym with my 17 year old daughter and do the treadmill and some light weight lifting. For a former couch potato, I'm doing pretty good! I hope to become more active but for now - baby steps!! :D