Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been taking a PPI for about a year now and today I've done some reading on long-term use. A lot of websites state that it interferes with Vitamin and mineral absorption, causes osteoporosis, increases risk of infections, and rebound acid reflux. A study was done on 1000 people with no prior acid reflux who took a PPI for a certain amount of time and a big percentage of them had reflux issues up to four weeks of stopping.

If I miss one day taking a PPI, I have horrible reflux. I'm wondering if I am suffering from rebound reflux and need to wean myself off. Does anyone have any information on this or experienced this themselves?

They've found that 10% of people need a sleeve revision to RNY due to reflux. You might be one of those.

Yes, I was finally taken off them. I am on my way to osteoporosis. In my 40's I get Dexa's every year because I am going downhill with some "significant" loss. I've had Vit D trouble, my K is so low it doesn't register. Had IV Iron for anemia. My zinc has been low ... just some of the issues.

That being said, have you tried Gaviscon and going to smaller more frequent portions? Don't eat or drink anything 3 hours before you go to bed. I say drink because I've refluxed drink a number of times.

Beware of anything fatty or something other than lean lean Protein and veggies or fruit (light at that) before you go to bed. Oh my gracious, recently I tried to get some 4 bites of BBQ cooked in Water in, with chicken and some salad. Over 3 hours later, I was still refluxing and unfortunately needed to go to bed.

Then again, the other item is to see if you have something other than reflux. Some of mine could be due to delayed gastric emptying. The sleeve was supposed to take care of that but it hasn't. Its still there, some of it. I was given a medication a day or so ago. Its not perfect, but it is helping some. Better than nothing.

I tried to get off of my ppi and could not do it. I was off of it for 6 months. It was hell. I was constantly having to take gaviscon or something similar. Plus my stomach hurt all the time.

I just make sure to take my Calcium citrate.

I quit taking PPI about 6 months out and didn't have a problem till around year two, when acid reflux started bothering me. I am taking one now and don't have a problem unless I overeat.

I take 6 calcium citrate daily along with two Multivitamins, a D3, and a weekly B1 and B12 sublingual. That is Kaiser Fremont;s recommended Vitamin dosage.

lynda

I'm wondering if I need to up my dosage...I have bad reflux all the time and I take the protonix pill day. I don't know which one I need more tho...protonix or gasx strips, I have a two punch that's killing me, indigestion and bloating mixed with a bit of heartburn and reflux.

I wish I didn't have to eat at all, its so uncomfortable. Wish I could just live off of the multi Vitamins and supplements. I'm so turned off by food.

Um no you don't. I was on a PICC line for 5-6 weeks. It really sucks. That being said, having the problems I did, yeah I can feel for you. Some days are really bad. What can you eat that isn't? You do end up having to force yourself, trust me the alternative isn't any good.

I will notice the throat burn if I forget to take a daily PPI by evening. Might be able to " put up with it" but I don't see a problem with taking 20 mg daily as long as it works and I have a prescription. It is kind of expensive OTC so I make sure I get plenty of refills. Who knows how long we need to take a PPI. No plans to stop.

I worry about long term PPI use, too. I've been trying to wean myself off of prilosec, and I'm taking it about three days a week now. I seem to do OK with that, but not sure if I'll be able to get off all together. I had reflux before surgery. Then, like now, it's worse if I overeat.

My concern is the studies that have come out saying that 8-10% (if memory serves) people get reflux so bad with the sleeve they need conversion. If it is where you can't live without it, then it makes me wonder if that falls in the realm of retractable reflux that is solved with conversion to RNY.

My concern is the studies that have come out saying that 8-10% (if memory serves) people get reflux so bad with the sleeve they need conversion. If it is where you can't live without it, then it makes me wonder if that falls in the realm of retractable reflux that is solved with conversion to RNY.

Our own Miss Diva and Bariatric Pal staffer Susan both are converting or have converted to RNY because of reflux, so it is def. an issue for some. And since they were both further out when it occurred, it seems it can happen farther down the road, not as an immediate problem.

I'm wondering if I need to up my dosage...I have bad reflux all the time and I take the protonix pill day. I don't know which one I need more tho...protonix or gasx strips, I have a two punch that's killing me, indigestion and bloating mixed with a bit of heartburn and reflux.

I wish I didn't have to eat at all, its so uncomfortable. Wish I could just live off of the multi Vitamins and supplements. I'm so turned off by food.

This is the Vet's Forum, for more than one year out post-op (I know, it's hard to tell what forum you are in when replying to a post! ). Your procedure was just last month, so your issues will be different. Give it a few months and you should feel better about food.

Lynda

Has anyone said anything about extra B12, etc. to you?

I take B12 sublingual once a week. My bariatric doctor calls it the brain drug. It's important to keep up with B12 and B1 because problems caused by deficiencies are non-reversible.

Calcium is another one it's important to take. Deficiency won't show on a blood test, your body will just rob your bones to get what it needs.

Lynda

Yep, that sounds about right. :(

Our own Miss Diva and Bariatric Pal staffer Susan both are converting or have converted to RNY because of reflux, so it is def. an issue for some. And since they were both further out when it occurred, it seems it can happen farther down the road, not as an immediate problem.

Yep, I had B1 in the ER, B12 in the docs office. I need K, its so low it never registered months ago. Calcium ...

Here is a bit of medical info. This is straight out of the medical research.

If your *BLOOD* calcium level goes up (doesn't have to high, just high for you), check the *URINE* calcium levels. Check PTH levels also. Mine were ok but blood calcium went up, urine calcium is below a calcium free diet. When that happens, check the bones and kidneys. Dexa scans last year were ok but this year one hip was lower but the other was significantly lower.

Blood is high because the bones are getting leached. The kidneys aren't urinating the extra calcium out because the body is holding on to everything it can. Either that or the kidneys aren't right.