Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overeating before surgery

My sleeve is scheduled for the 21st. I have been really careful the last three months and have lost 35 lbs. but in the past couple dash I found myself overeating and having "last meal" cravings. Has this happened to anyone else?

I have to get it back under control and would like to lose a couple more pounds before surgery.

I don't know why I'm sabotaging myself like this. I feel sick both from upset and eating too much.

Any tips or ways to cope with these pre op feelings are welcome! Thanks.

When I found out my surgery date I went on a food rage and ate all my favorites before my 2 week pre op liquid diet. Even on that I cheated a little bit and still lost 14 pounds. After surgery doctor told me my liver was small and was in no kinda way of VSG procedure. Which made me feel a lot better since I cheated lol I think it's normal and people do cheat you will lose regardless. But I wish I had started eating healthier like you months before. Keep it up you will do great :) and don't deprive yourself of your favorite foods just take a couple bites and call it a day if that satisfies you!

This past week I ate all of the things I knew I wasn't going to be eating for a long time; if ever again. Today, the first day of pre-op diet I realize how much "food" is apart of my life simply out of habit! Routines....get in the car, go to Kwik Trip, get a coffee and donut etc. etc. I found myself doing that routine this morning and saying outloud to myself, "What are you doing here?" Made me realize that my habits and routines surrounding food are getting ready to be FOREVER changed!! I knew it intellectually but I FELT it today.

I know this is what I need and want and am ready to do. However, I have to remind myself that this will be a process. If it took me 51 years to create these habits and routines I have to give myself permission to learn something new and not expect it to happen overnight. For perfectionists (like myself) that's a hard thing to do.

We can do this! We deserve this!

I'm on my preop diet right now , only 3 days to go ! I haven't cheated yet I have gained 5 lbs then lost 4 of them , I am swollen and my eye lids are puffy . I'm really feeling bummed bc I know this is my journey but I've never read anyone else say they've gained weight on a Clear Liquids with Protein Shake diet & to top it all off I'm working out 4-5 days a week . Any advise ? I'm really feeling down right now when all I should be feeling is excitement .....

I also have 3 days to go of my 2 week liquid preop. I haven't cheated either. Every time I am hungry I just grab a bottle of Water. During the first week I had a very hard time and was angry. Angry that I let myself get this way and need this surgery. I am 10 lbs down and hope that I will lose a few more before Wednesday. Been thinking about cheating but I'm too scared to mess something up.

Me and my friend are both going through the steps to get sleeved...we both think, I better eat this now because soon I won't be able to...so you are not alone.

I did the same thing!! No worries... I got sleeved the 23rd of April and I have no food cravings what so ever! You will do great! Food funerals are normal! Haha

My hubby bought Bagels this morning for Mother's Day, and just said to me next Mother's Day you won't finish a whole bagel, that made it sound so real, tomorrow I start my pre op diet, 4 weeks til my wls! I'm so ready for this!

A year post op and there is no food I can't eat. It's all in the quantity.

I agree with Miss Havelock. I can eat/drink anything I care to as long as I am careful about quantity. There is nothing I miss.

I did the same thing. As soon as my last nutrition class weigh in, I had about 10 days before my liquid diet. I ate what I wanted and I did gain weight but I was glad I got the cravings out of the way. I did cheat a little on my liquid diet because I got sever Migraines and I still lost weight. I was on a liquid diet 9 days (I cheated probably 3 times) and I lost 7 lbs. I don't recommend it to anyone but I'm just sharing my story. The thing with surgery is you still have head hunger and cravings. It's those things that make the recovery a little more rough. But eventually you can eat bits of what you used to. Believe me there is no overeating after surgery!

Thanks everyone for your advice and sharing your personal experiences. I really appreciate it.

My surgery is next Wednesday the 21st. Can't believe it's really happening.

I've reached the goal weight my surgeon set for me and trying to be as diligent as I can about fluids and Protein before surgery. I already have head hunger and cravings but trying to work through them.

Last night went to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in SF. And while I was still thoughtful about my choices, I left feeling too full and uncomfortable. I've been on a very clean diet for the last three months so it felt good to be put off by richer food.

Of course I still have fears about the day of surgery and that my doctor will have trouble operating because of my size. I also worry I won't lose enough to be closer to healthy. I imagine these are common worries and ones we deal with as they come.

Thanks again and best of luck to everyone on their own journey!

I kept reading horror stories about people being opened up and then closed because of enlarged livers. I was so nervous because I couldn't imagine the nightmare of that happening. To be honest my surgeon never even mentioned my liver. I was 239 the day of surgery. I was down to 228 on my own but had the gain from indulging. I even had dreams about food my first few nights home from the hospital. I didn't think I was that crazy about food : ( My main issue post op is getting enough Water, it's so hard for me to drink. I miss guzzling down a nice big glass of water easily! And breaking the habit of drinking while eating has been so hard! Good luck and don't stress to much. It's a hard journey for everyone but you will get there

I'm overeating now, about two months before surgery. Makes me so sad and scared I wont' be able to change my ways. Must try harder :(

In the two weeks before I went on the liquid diet, I definitely had a few food funerals. We ordered Chinese one night, and the day before I started the liquid diet, my bf took me out to my favorite sushi restaurant as an early Mother's Day present/preparing for surgery send-off (it's someplace we only go once a year or so because it's expensive, but the gesture was greatly appreciated).

I think I gained maybe a pound or two then, but lost 12 during the liquid diet, and my liver was fine at that point. No cravings post-surgery either, which is good :D