Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble sticking to preop diet

I was told to keep down to 1400 cal i only gave 6 pounds to loose, but i keep turning to sweets! Any advice?

Throw away the sweets! :) I know easier said than done, but if they are out of the house you cant eat them!

I was told to keep down to 1400 cal i only gave 6 pounds to loose, but i keep turning to sweets! Any advice?

Do you want surgery? If so, stop eating sweets and anything that's not on plan. Make your decision.

Quit buying it...throw out whatever is in the house. You have to give up all that junk anyways (forever) or this surgery will be a waste of time and money. You might as well start now and avoid the withdrawals when you are trying to recover. Besides, 1400 calories is an easy preop. I did 3 Protein Shakes and leafy green veggies for 2 weeks and lost 22 pounds. Like Harlem loser said, you need to make up your mind if you really want this and make it happen.

After surgery u will regret cheating the diet so that's why they make u go threw this before u have to be strong and choose ur life over food.... it's just food it's not going anywhere and one day u may be able to have it again but u didn't go threw all the pre op crap to let sweets ruin it... stay strong

I'm on day 8 of pre-op, and honestly, with as sweet as the shakes are, I couldn't tolerate any more sweet. Plus, with the liquid diet, I can also have sugar-free lowfat yogurt, which also tends to be very sweet. Try satisfying your sweet tooth out of the choices you're allowed to have.

(I crave meat...the rest of the family had chili yesterday, and the browning hamburger before it was put together was nearly my downfall. But I got through it :)

I have been told to loose 13 lbs before surgery and I am having a very difficult time getting "kick-started". I started trying to do a low carb diet (the last one I ever had any luck with)....no loss. Then I tried the pre-surgery liquid diet....so hungry for a week....lost 1 lousy pound...So frustrated that I can't get started in the right direction. I have been jumping thru all the hoops for almost a year now and finally everything will be submitted to Insurance next week...still not going to help if I can't get this 13 lbs off!!!! Any suggestions???

@@wilsonjul are you tracking everything you eat on myfitnesspal or a similar app/website? Do you have clearly defined targets for calories per day/carbs per day/protein grams per day and you track against those? Do you weigh or measure everything you eat? Those were the things that helped me lose the weight I needed to pre-op.

This is my first time talking about this on here but try your hardest not to cheat THROW IT AWAY...I let the pressure of things going on in my family and at work almost cost me not having surgery on Wedes....my doctor was PISSED and he should've turned me away because the day before I cheated....I AM NOT PROUD OF MYSELF...but I am working hard to follow things now. Good luck

I start my full liquid pre op diet on Wednesday 5/14... Any suggestions? I bout the GNC total lean 25 shakes to do but I no I am going to get burnt out

krystal I'm also starting my pre op liquids the 14th surgery on the 28th. I bought styrax lemon tea not too bad tasting also got Premier Protein shakes premade to take to work

I start my full liquid pre op diet on Wednesday 5/14... Any suggestions?

I bout the GNC total lean 25 shakes to do but I no I am going to get burnt out

Good luck on sticking the course :) I'm nearing the end of my liquid diet (my surgery is 5/15), and I would almost rather not eat than face another shake. I'm allowed yogurt, cottage cheese and sugar-free pudding/jello, and that helps. And broth. I never liked broth before, but when everything else is so sweet, broth can be a life-saver.

That said, it's really not that hard if you keep the end goal in mind. I honestly dreaded the thought of 2 weeks of liquids, but it hasn't been nearly as bad as I expected. I cleaned all my food weaknesses out of the house before starting (that was a big one), and I try to stay out of the kitchen when hubby is cooking food for the kids at night. Oddly enough, I'm not craving chocolate or any of the things I would normally snack on. I crave meat and oddly enough, Ramen noodles (which I haven't eaten in years).

Best of luck :)

I am in Day 6 of my pro-op liquid diet…surgery is Thursday morning. It really isn't as bad as it feels during day one and two. I feel like once i got past day 4, and i knew i was on the downhill to surgery, i didn't even really think about it. I have survived on Low Fat Yogurt, Carnation Instant Breakfast for lunch, and cream of chicken Soup for dinner with a 1/2 scoop unflavored Protein powder. Water, Water, Water…I keep my water bottle filled. You can do this!