Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just beginning - so confused.

Hello everyone,

I am just beginning on this journey. I started my supervised diet last week. I'm not doing very well. Although I want this more than anything, I'm sabatoging myself. Ugh! I hate my head sometimes!

Anyway, I have three months on this supervised diet. I need to get on track. I just don't know how right now. Any words of wisdom?

I have not made a doctor's appointment yet but I will very soon. I am turning 65 next month and my insurance will change to a medicare advantage at that time. My current insurance won't cover anything that relates to weight loss. I attended a seminar at Wheaton Franciscan in Milwaukee and I am pretty sure I will go with them. They are a Center of Excellence. I'm thinking that means that they are one of the best, is that true?

I just ordered the Bariatric Sleeve book and will read it from cover to cover.

I think I am having trouble getting started because I am really scared of the permenance of the whole process. I'm afraid it won't work for me or I won't be able to handle it. I'm afraid I'll be a failure just like I have always been. I am 4' 10" tall and weigh 267 lbs. I have always felt like a failure in this area and have hated myself most of my life. I read this board every night and, even though many of you talk about problems and setbacks, you seem to keep going. I applaud that courage. I just don't know if I have that in me. Some days I feel ok and other days I am terrified and tell myself I can't do it.

I'm sorry to ramble like this. I just feel so lost right now. I could use some honest feedback.

Thanks

I too wondered if I would be the one person WLS would not work for. After years of trying all the "miracle" pills that promised weight loss if I only took this one, it was hard to believe that surgery would work for me.

I can only tell you that my thoughts and feelings about food are completely different now. And it started right after surgery. My biggest problem was cravings for certain flavors. Those cravings would nag at me like a little kid tugging at my sleeve who wanted a toy. The bad part was I couldn't b*tch slap this kid away! :-P It's been 17 months and the cravings have never returned. The surgery was the tool I needed to get my weight under control.

As far as "Center of Excellence", that was a label my insurance company used describe hospitals they would pay for. I think it's a euphemism for "it's a hospital that will take what we're willing to pay."

I was terrified and worried if surgery was the right thing for me - after all they can't put my stomach back in if it didn't work out.

I called my insurance company to get a list of doctors on their approved list in Nov 2012, and then got scared and backed out.

After about 3 weeks I asked myself 2 questions that help me make life decisions:

1. Do I want to be in this situation a year from now?

2 Am I willing to do whatever it takes to get out of this?

I committed to the surgery in my mind and was willing to go through whatever I had to. I made my 1st doc. appmt. on Dec 7th, went through all the pre-surgery tests in 3 weeks and was Sleeved on Dec. 27th. And I've never regretted a minute of it - even when I was hurting like Hell because I couldn't take the liquid pain meds.

Even if I knew I'd have to go through the pain of that 1st week post-op again, I wouldn't hesitate to have the surgery.

Edited by joatsaint

Hey guys it works. U will lose the weight. U just got to keep it off. This surg is the best thing I ever did.

I used to self sabatoge myself all the time. Not any more. Now I am looking good and so happy. My relationship with food has totally changed. Urs will have to too. U will lose ur weight and u will look soo good strangers off the street will tell u how good u look. Men will want u women will want to be u. It is insane. My 15 yr old daughters guy friends tell her how hot her mom is. At first ur not used to it. Then u hear it everywhere u go. Then it just gets old.

Heres the deal this surg works. I lost 100 lbs in 8 months I have maintained my weight for 5 months. Doing good. U can do it too.

Hi @@losingsoon its much easier once you have the surgery BUT you have to get your head in the game now so that you can have it. I found going to support groups before (&after) was really helpful. Ask your surgeons office when/where they are. Being around people who have been through the struggle or are going through it can be really helpful. YOU CAN DO THIS!! It is life changing and you deserve it. For me I had to become very rigid pre-op and only eat very regimented food. Good luck!

Hello everyone,

I am just beginning on this journey. I started my supervised diet last week. I'm not doing very well. Although I want this more than anything, I'm sabatoging myself. Ugh! I hate my head sometimes!

Anyway, I have three months on this supervised diet. I need to get on track. I just don't know how right now. Any words of wisdom?

I have not made a doctor's appointment yet but I will very soon. I am turning 65 next month and my insurance will change to a medicare advantage at that time. My current insurance won't cover anything that relates to weight loss. I attended a seminar at Wheaton Franciscan in Milwaukee and I am pretty sure I will go with them. They are a Center of Excellence. I'm thinking that means that they are one of the best, is that true?

I think I am having trouble getting started because I am really scared of the permenance of the whole process. I'm afraid it won't work for me or I won't be able to handle it. I'm afraid I'll be a failure just like I have always been. I am 4' 10" tall and weigh 267 lbs. I have always felt like a failure in this area and have hated myself most of my life. I read this board every night and, even though many of you talk about problems and setbacks, you seem to keep going. I applaud that courage. I just don't know if I have that in me. Some days I feel ok and other days I am terrified and tell myself I can't do it.

I'm sorry to ramble like this. I just feel so lost right now. I could use some honest feedback.

Thanks

Sounds like you're waaaay too hard on yourself. Yesterday I went to a 7 hours seminar, "food Addiction, Obesity and Diabetes" by Dr. Gina Willett. Holy smokes! I had NO idea how incredibly complex all this is--- genetics, environment (physical and mental), how processed food is made and "neuro marketed"... so many things that are a factor in how and why we eat too much. It sure is *not* only about will power. Please go easy on yourself.

As far as sticking to the supervised diet, one book that is helping me is "Emotional First Aid." Among other things, It's about our self talk, how to set up our environment to succeed, what we tell ourselves when we are in a grocery store to make it OK to buy something we will have a hard time staying away from.

I've also ordered the "Bariatric Foodie Guide to Perfect Protein Shakes" which should have tasty recipes. I want to enjoy what I'm eating or drinking! I enjoy looking at the blog, "The World According to Eggface."

I suggest you focus on the future. I imagine it will be a lot easier to move around--- won't that be great! You are giving yourself the opportunity for a long, healthy and happy life.

Thank you everyone. I am going through a lot of stress right now and I think that is messing with my head and my self confidence. My husband just lost his job and I am losing mine next week.

I will try your your suggestions. That book "Emotional First Aid" souinds great. I am always on an emotional roller coaster. I am planning to go to as many support groups as I can (especially now that I have time to do it). I'm also looking forward to getting the "Big Book", I'm sure that will help. I know I need support. Thank you for giving it!

Thank you everyone. I am going through a lot of stress right now and I think that is messing with my head and my self confidence. My husband just lost his job and I am losing mine next week.

I will try your your suggestions. That book "Emotional First Aid" souinds great. I am always on an emotional roller coaster. I am planning to go to as many support groups as I can (especially now that I have time to do it). I'm also looking forward to getting the "Big Book", I'm sure that will help. I know I need support. Thank you for giving it!

I am new also. Trying to figure this out. Any suggestions on Protein shakes? The brand I bought is to sweet?

So sorry you are going through that. Both of you losing your jobs is SO stressfully. :(. I really feel for you. AND I think we have to take the "no excuses" mindset. I had a couple major things go down and told my partner that I don't think this was a good time because.... His response was "babe, there is always going to be something going on. The nature of life. " and of course he's right and it turned out this was a great window to start. Maybe both of you having a little more free time in the early stage will be a hidden blessing. Please don't think in any way I'm under playing your job losses as I can imagine how unbelievably stressful that is. Sending you strength and prayers. Stay Strong

Do you mean the supervised diet in order to get approved for insurance? Or do you mean the supervised diet right before surgery to decrease your liver size?

If it is the first - aren't you supposed to fail that diet? If insurance hasn't approved you and you are supposed to fail it anyway, then I wouldn't stress so much over it. (I am assuming this is the situation and there is not another medical reason the doctor has you on the 3 month diet).

If it is the preop diet - they are usually only about 2 weeks long just prior to surgery, aren't they?

Don't take any of the above as advice, please. Just asking questions...

Edited by Travelmego

Losing both jobs must be VERY unsettling! It sounds like you are reaching out, taking effective steps towards a healthier lifestyle.

Center of Excellence status is similar to Magnet Status. It has a lot to do with the statistics, results, morbidity/mortality ratings, numbers, etc.

Most insurances require a Center of Excellence NOT because it is where they choose to pay, but more because these facilities have proven themselves successful, safe, and with the best outcomes. (best outcomes is HUGE in nursing and healthcare).

Keep reading in these forums, post lots of questions, do lots of research. Talk to multiple doctors, nurses, patients. maybe attend a few support group meetings.

ALL of us are here because we failed, in one way or another, other 'diets'. hang in there, the answers will come!

Travelmego, I am on the doctor supervised diet that Medicare requires to qualify for surgery. I am really in the beginning stages of this journey. Medicare requires three months. My insurance company does not have any requirement except that you have comorbidities and your BMI is high enough. I don't know, am I supposed to fail it? I thought it was kind of a trial to see if you are serious about this process.

BeagleLover, thank you for the words of encouragement. I am reaching out. I'm trying to combat my stress and depression about the financial situation. I know I have to move on. It's just hitting all at once right now. I think I was just pretty down last night. It is better today.

Thanks all!

Thank you for the information, Mi75. That is helpful. I am planning to go to another seminar next week at a different hospital. I have time to do the research and I'm planning to learn as much as I can about the process before I make the commitment.

You are all such an inspiration to me. I'm so glad I found this board.

Losingsoon- Glad you are feeling better today :)

As far as I understand, the physician supervised diet is required to show that you have tried (and failed) other means besides bariatric surgery to lose weight. This is the reason they have the doctor document reason for failing - for example, unable to exercise due to lower back pain,or medications you are on...whatever.

I just googled to see what I could come up with. I found this page: http://obesitycoverage.com/am-i-covered/check-my-insurance/item/medicaid-s-criteria-for-weight-loss-surgery-coverage

Under the Medicare Pre-approval Requirements" section is this:

"Documented participation in a medically supervised weight loss program. Typically, you must show that you have participated and failed more than one program."

SO, if this is verified, then that should take some stress off your back. It's not hard to fail a diet, is it? :D

Edited by Travelmego

Center of Excellence is a designation of excellence given by the Surgical Review Cooperation. It is to let consumers know that the hospital has met rigid standards of care for higher quality and of course your insurance would want you to have the procedure done at COE because they have less surgical complications like infection that would cost them more money. As a patient you should want to receive your surgery at a hospital that is recognized by this group and by the bariatric and metabolic surgery specialty it just makes good sense as a patient and a consumer. On that note, I too have just started this journey... I have completed all my prerequisites like the supervised diet, labs, sleep study and upper GI. I have lost 30 lbs by following the dieticians diet plan. I have however had lapses, but for the most part it has been good. I received the pre op diet from the dietician at my last visit on 5/7/2014. I am not looking forward to it all, but I look at it this way... Yes the surgery is permenant, but so has been the battle with my weight. I am 37 years old and I do not want to live my life being held hostage to a body that holds me back. I will be in contact with my Doctor's office about starting the approval process in the next week and as much as all liquid diet does not appeal to me I am excited to start the second part of this journey and change my life.

Hello everyone,

Thanks

Edited by vanessak8