Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lovenox injections after surgery!?!?!?

I know of all the things to be scared about mine may be silly, but I am wondering about the lovenox injections you have to give yourself for 10 days after surgery!?!?! I went to the site to read about it, but real life people who have done it may ease my mind better. Is it hard, does it hurt like a regular shot does, does it hurt more being in the stomach area?? Any insight is greatly appreciated! :o

Your doctor said you have to have it? I had the sleeve and I didn't need any injections...

They gave me the shots in my stomach while in the hospital. I got one the day of surgery and the next day. They gave me a prescription for them for 30 days :(

I gave myself a shot for 2 days, the shot did not hurt, the medicine going in my let hurt and bruised my leg...I didnt continue to give myself shots. I was told to do alot of walking an keep using the leg suppressions they sent me home with to keep from clotting.....I walked a mile a day 2x a day the first week and 2miles a day 2x a day the 2nd week to help prevent clots....it didnt hurt in my stomach at the hospital because they numbed it...Good luck, not all drs prescribe the injections.

I only had the injections when I was in the hospital. Good luck to you!!

My doctors send you home with a 10 day script for the injections you have to give yourself IN YOUR STOMACH!!!! Ugh I hope I can do it, or my daughter who is a CNA may have to come over daily for 10 days on her way to work!!!! LOL

Ask your doctor -- mine said he won't be sending me home with them.

YMMV

I had them at home for 10 days in the stomach too. Wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared. You pinch an inch or so and stick it into the fat and inject just half an inch or so in. So it's not very painful and no fear of hitting anything but subcutaneous fat. The bruising was bad but the rest was fine.

At my one week post op, dr said I didn't have to do the last 3-4!

It bruises more if you rub it. It stings when the meds goes in but try not to rub it since it is a blood thinner. I got one once and I rubbed it because it stung and the bruise got really big!!!

no biggie, the needles on lovenox are super tiny. just see it as another necessary evil to result in looking and feeling AWESOME. plus the risk of a pulmonary embolism is VERY real post op and frankly, a PE can be fatal without any warning.

i will get them for 21 days post op..

I didn't have them for mg surgery but had them after having 2 large DVT's and during my last pregnancy. The first time I must have taken 30 minutes to get up the courage to give myself the shot. After that, it really wasn't a big deal. My stomach looked black and blue, but it wasn't painful.

I actually disposed of about 15 I had left when spring cleaning. They are very expensive if you don't have insurance and for some reason I had held onto them. I had to be induced with my son early so I didn't need to finish the rest of the injections.

My surgeon told me today that he didn't see the need, to walk and I shouldn't have a problem.

They don't hurt at all the needle is so fine and the plunger is idiot proof. I had them for two weeks and it was not a problem at all :) You will be fine ..

I will have them. My PCP had a dummy shot she let me try. It wasn't a big deal. The needle is very tiny.