Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mothers day scheduled at a buffet ... Lol

My mom scheduled our Mother's Day lunch at a buffet lol. I am about 5 weeks post op. And she is doing her six months pre-op plan with a nutritionist.

I'm not super upset or anything it's just like ... Sigh. food as part of events is one of my bigger worries going forward I guess. Let's do lunch or let's go have a drink, everything seems to revolve around food. I can still stay on track but I don't want to talk about my food choices with every person and people probably will comment if I'm eating two bites of something.

My mom scheduled our Mother's Day lunch at a buffet lol. I am about 5 weeks post op. And she is doing her six months pre-op plan with a nutritionist.

I'm not super upset or anything it's just like ... Sigh. food as part of events is one of my bigger worries going forward I guess. Let's do lunch or let's go have a drink, everything seems to revolve around food. I can still stay on track but I don't want to talk about my food choices with every person and people probably will comment if I'm eating two bites of something.

Just say you ate before u left the house & get a small plate & nibble. Good luck.

Im 6 weeks out & just came from om the ER last night for stomach pain. My surgeon thinks I might have been eating to much, because I don't no my limit until it's to late & it hurts. So he put me back on liquids for 5 days ughhhh.

Edited by 521Diva

I am five months out and used to worry all the time about people noticing what I was (wasn't) eating, but have come to realize that most of the time they don't even notice! I order something small, or at a buffet pick a few bites of several things and move them around on my plate and pick at it. They don't notice 95% of the time honestly!

Also, check with the place...if you let them know you had bariatric surgery, some will only charge you a childs plate... you can do this! :)

Five weeks out at a buffet - ouch. My sympathies on that, dear.

I am two weeks out and I measure everything for that very reason! Be careful!!

Well you'll just be a big ol waste of money won't you? Lol! Hopefully they have Soup on the layout. I met my husband at a buffet for lunch yesterday. I just had some chicken and veggies, but I'm 18 months out.

My family scheduled my mom's 80th birthday celebration when I was 10 days post op at an Italian restaurant! I did ok. Just took a bite of some ricotta for an appetizer and then had the broth Only in the tortellini Soup. You I'll find you can work your way around most meals. 0pizza and Pasta are the only challenge for me if nothing else is available. You will do fine and don't worry about wasting did or money. Your health comes first!

I just want to tell you, as long as people know you've had this surgery, they will criticize what you eat, so you might as well get used to it... Lol. I used to get mad at first, but I just realized that people are nosey..... And most have no filter.! As long as you know you're following your plan, keep it up!!! Good luck!!!

I just did my first buffet with my son last week. I am 41/2 months post. I enjoyed some chicken and a little rice and a couple veggies. They even had a gastric price for me. It was a bit of a waste but it felt good. I feel bad for the rest of you who suffer through horrible people. My family and friend have been awesome from day one and so so supportive. Even strangers. At the buffet we sat by 2 ladies that were rather large and commented to me about how good the full rack of ribs were so my son spoke up and said i had the sleeve a few months back. They both commented, as they were eating off their 4 plates of food each, they had friends who had surgery and had nothing but cpmplications. Theyd never have it done! All i could think was yeah, id rather die of heart failure and keep feeding my face than take a small risk to be healthy and enjoy the rest of my life. I mean one of these ladies was so large she sat in 2 chairs and could barely walk. I never got that large and my quality of life was terrible so i can only imagine theirs. It gave me that extra punch i needed. Anyhow, go to the buffet, eat a little of what you know you can have and if anyone says anything remember why you did it. Keep your eyes on the prize. It isnt so far away.

I know this sounds crazy but I like buffets...I get to choose 1 bite of numerous different things. What I don't like about them is I don't get to bring home a to go box. I have tried my bariatric card (the only time it's ever been rejected) at Hometown Buffet and they politely said no. So I hafta pay $11 for about $1 worth of food. But hubby makes up for what I don't eat. He's a low carber so he enjoys getting all the meat and veggies he wants.

Last month, we visited a Soup Plantation. They gave me the $4 kids price. Still didn't eat $4 worth of food but it was nice to not pay full price. At buffets, they frown upon u just taking a couple nibbles off ur hubbys plate!

At Hometown, I usually get: Baked chicken, cornbread stuffing, broccoli, mashed pots, 1 butterfly shrimp, roast beef, and maybe a small salad. I take a bite or 2 of everything and it doesn't look like I've even touched my food.

Enjoy ur Mothers Day. At 5 weeks, however, not sure how I'd feel about it. I was still on soft foods (of which the buffet has lots of, btw). I wouldn't try to tackle a salad or ribs! Good luck!

Oh and I usually sneak a few Cookies in a napkin in my purse. Figure since I'm not getting $11 worth of food, I'm gunna take dessert at least! Embarrasses hubby...oh well...

Edited by marfar7

Ummmmm what's a bariatric card??? Do tell!! Do tell!!!

When you have surgery they usually give you 2 cards. At least i got them. One is to let anyone know in case of emergency that you have had bariatric surgery. The other is to let restaurants know that you have had it done so maybe they will charge you for a senior price or you can eat off the kids menu. They are nice to have. Ask your doc about it.

@Aaliyanah http://www.wlscenter.com/restaurant_card.htm

If you google bariatric Restaurant Card several different options pop up.

I had mine laminated and carry it in my purse.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/90444-lapband-friendly-restaurants/

There are several lists online. I know that most places will work with you if you ask.

The only place I've had deny me is baker's square, they are like a Denny's and have pie.