Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Facebook boo-boo....

So, I belong to a lapband Facebook group (there's quite a few on there that are revisions). The leader of the board asked me to tell my wls story today, that maybe it would help someone. I wrote a novel. About how I used to bend over and out it would come, without even trying to vomit - I would. I wrote my starting weight, my current weight, my goal weight. About 6 paragraphs worth of details about both my lapband and my sleeve journeys.

Left for a few hours and came back to many comments. From friends who had no idea that I ever even had wls. I accidently posted it to my main fb page. Wow. So many people were so interested in it I decided not to delete it, but also commented that I didn;t mean to post it there. So many questions, comments. Most of my real friends know about my journey but now EVERYONE knows. Even my current weight!

Guess I should check to where I'm posting next time! Oh well. Whats done is done...

Yikes! I feel for ya. I guess at the end of the day it's not a big deal but still.... Hugs!

wow! that sounds like something i would do. the good news is you're not too upset by it. i would be freaking out! especially since only my husband knows. you're a good sport. everything happens for a reason. maybe you will give someone else the courage to go through this. xxoo

Happy Losing,

Mississippi Girl

Ya gotta love modern technology.......Kinda like the "Reply all" with email or butt dialing with the cell phone. One little slip up and .......tha tha tha that's all folks........... :o

Oh boy, whoops! Well, if you're happy with your current WLS surgery situation, then maybe it's time to "come out." Since I'm pre-op and I don't know how things will turn out, I'm being pretty secretive, but if in a few years it's been a complete success, then I'd start telling people. Maybe it's blessing in disguise!

If it's a public page, I think it automatically gets shared with your friends. I made that mistake on an auto-immune disease support page. Then all my FB friends started saying things like (((HUG))). I hadn't meant to shar eit, so it was embarrassing to me.

I am all about social media, I made the conscious decision to post about my surgery via blog that is shared on my Facebook. I wrote my first blog about a couple weeks till I had surgery. Posted it and let the questions come on in from friends and family. Many of my loved ones that I wanted to know about my surgery knew about it before the world knew. It was a relief for me, and my mom who shares the social media love like I do. One thing I did get tired of real quick was people would ask me how much the surgery was, and what can and cannot eat. Those questions bugged me only because they were looking for a simple quick fix to being overweight.

Ooops! I guess maybe it was meant to be...your FB friends were probably like WTF?!

News of my WLS got out via good old fashioned verbal gossip, but in the end I'm glad. I've had a lot of people ask curious questions about my experience and it's a relief not to have to lie about my weight loss (no way to hide losing 70 pounds in less than. 6 months) everyone has been excited and supportive and admittedly a little jealous of my success. The only negative comment was from one person who is so afraid of surgery in general she won't even have a hysterectomy despite bleeding, pre cancerous masses in her own uterus.

Depending on the privacy settings of the FB group you belong to even if you are posting on a group's page, it still could show up in your friends' feed. I noticed this when a friend posted a question to a heart defibrillator support group he is in and it showed up in MY feed. Now I am much more careful about what I post in those FB groups unless the settings are "Secret."