Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

My name is Natalie. I will be having gastric bypass on Monday, May 19th. I will post a pre-operative picture to this thread. I can't believe how fast my pre-op time has gone! In December 2013, I attended an informational seminar with my sister to learn more if I would be a candidate for weight loss surgery. My insurance required a total of 4 pre-operative visits. Being a full time nursing, the time has just flown by

post-201227-0-11998800-1399114097_thumb.jpg

. Suddenly, it is the month of surgery and I am feeling a mix of emotions. I am beginning to feel nervous due to never having any prior surgeries or hospitalization, however even more excited in thinking of all the opportunities that could open up for me... In my very near future!

I just wanted to introduce myself to the community, as I would like to share my journey, positives and negatives, with others! (Hopefully, the majority of it being positive).

Do any of you have any suggestions for final preparations? In some threads, I have seen people purchase smaller spoons and plates.. Does anyone have any other ideas that I could consider?

Well, hello again. I look forward to talking with you :)

Hi everyone!<br><br> My name is Natalie. I will be having gastric bypass on Monday, May 19th. I will post a pre-operative picture to this thread. I can't believe how fast my pre-op time has gone! In December 2013, I attended an informational seminar with my sister to learn more if I would be a candidate for weight loss surgery. My insurance required a total of 4 pre-operative visits. Being a full time nursing, the time has just flown by<br><br> <br><br> . Suddenly, it is the month of surgery and I am feeling a mix of emotions. I am beginning to feel nervous due to never having any prior surgeries or hospitalization, however even more excited in thinking of all the opportunities that could open up for me... In my very near future!<br><br> I just wanted to introduce myself to the community, as I would like to share my journey, positives and negatives, with others! (Hopefully, the majority of it being positive).<br><br> Do any of you have any suggestions for final preparations? In some threads, I have seen people purchase smaller spoons and plates.. Does anyone have any other ideas that I could consider?<br><br> Well, hello again. I look forward to talking with you :)

Hi :) welcome! I've got the same surgery date!! There is something about the 19th!!!! I understand how you feel believe me. As the days pass I get more nervous about "the new me". I'm worried about my 2yr old and that he is so attached to me. As for suggestions...... Ask all the questions that come to mind! Also are you signed up for the Insure Nutrition Protein Shakes covered by insurances? Looking forward to sharing this experience with you and all the other 19ers. Do you have a pre-op diet? I start my pre-op diet on Monday. It's a low carb, low fat, & high Protein diet.

Congratulations. It took me almost a year from when I started the process until I had the surgery. As far as recommendations prior to surgery, here are a few:

* Make sure you do your walking each day prior to surgery. It will help in your recovery.

* Find a Protein drink you can live with. There are many types. Some can tastes worse than others. I found mixing the Protein powder in a blender gave it better consistency.

* Make sure you have a pill splitter and a pill crusher at home.

* My hospital allowed my wife to stay in my room for the two nights I was there. This was a good thing. If your hospital allows it, you might have someone stay with you after surgery.

* Purchase the many types of (prescribed) Vitamins you will need prior to surgery. That way, you will not have to be chasing around finding them right after surgery.

* You might schedule your surgery for Monday thru Thursday and avoid Friday. During the recovery, many surgeons are off on the weekends. I had my operation on Friday, and I was dealing with alternate staff during recovery.

* Make sure you get plenty of sleep in the night or two before surgery. I had to get up once every two hours round the clock in the hospital to get my walking in.

* In the beginning, you will be relying on Protein drinks and Vitamins. They will be keeping you alive. Given the small volume of meals, there is so little nutrition. When you are up-and-about town, you will need a form of Protein Drinks that you can take with you. You cannot take your blender with you wherever you go. In my opinion the blending glasses that you shake do not mix as well as a blender. Later you can meet this need of an on-the-go Protein supplement in the form of a Protein Bar. But at the beginning you cannot. So you might obtain a few super concentrated protein drinks for when you are out. One example is Protein Ice available at GNC. It has 42 grams of protein, zero carbs. In my opinion, it taste terrible, but my wife seems to think it tasted O.K.

My date is May 13th! I have learned so many things on this site during my journey. Thanks for sharing James. I just met with my surgeon and nutritionist yesterday, and they gave me notebook full of info and suggestions for Protein supplements, etc. One other good drink on the go is Isopure 0 Carbs. Clear fruity drinks in bottles. The Vitamin Shoppe carries and you can get on line as well...16 grams Protein 8oz Fluid and 0 carbs. Good luck!

Ahh!! Yay for May 19th!!

Thank you all for your wonderful responses and suggestions! ????

I am curious to those of you who have had surgery, how soon after surgery did you start losing weight? I realize it will vary person to person, but I'm just kind of wondering. I don't really know how to go about getting rid of/getting new clothes (which is a part of this process I am really looking forward to!!! )

Ahh!! Yay for May 19th!!

Thank you all for your wonderful responses and suggestions!

I am curious to those of you who have had surgery, how soon after surgery did you start losing weight? I realize it will vary person to person, but I'm just kind of wondering. I don't really know how to go about getting rid of/getting new clothes (which is a part of this process I am really looking forward to!!! )

It somewhat depends on the type of surgery. During the 2 days I was in the hospital after surgery, I gained a few pounds (Water weight) due to all the IVs and fluids they pump into me. I had gastric bypass surgery. I began losing weight almost immediately after I returned home. At the beginning it was fairly dramatic but as time went on, the weight loss slowed down. At 7 months, I had reached my bottom.

In my case, I gave some of my old clothes to my brother. The rest I gave to a Christian thrift shop. I enjoyed replacing my entire wardrobe. Generally, they recommend that you do not buy any clothes until after you near your weight loss goal. But that was one of the rules that I broke. I found that clothes was an excellent motivator for continued weight loss. I would buy a shirt or pants that was so tight, that I could barely put it on. If I took a deep breath, it would rip apart at the seams. Then two weeks later it would fit like a dime. I gained immense pleasure by this.

Hahha! I think I might break that rule too. In fact, I might just copy that idea completely. Bc I feel like that would be so motivating for me, as I absolutely love clothes.

I want to find a nice place to donate my clothes to bc I have a pretty extensive wardrobe and I feel someone could really enjoy them.

I also chose to have the gastric bypass. I flip flopped between the bypass and the sleeve.

@nani0602 you might try researching in your area for consignment shops -- we have some close to me that are more high-end shops and you can get some decent money for clothes in good condition. If you have professional clothes, you might see if there's a charity in the area that takes items like that. Some charities that do job training will also let their clients "free shop" through donated items for work clothes.

Best wishes!

@ Ginger Snaps, thank you for the idea. I will look into consignment shops in my area!! :)

<p>Congratulations. It took me almost a year from when I started the process until I had the surgery. As far as recommendations prior to surgery, here are a few:</p> <p>* Make sure you do your walking each day prior to surgery. It will help in your recovery.</p> <p>* Find a Protein drink you can live with. There are many types. Some can tastes worse than others. I found mixing the Protein powder in a blender gave it better consistency.</p> <p>* Make sure you have a pill splitter and a pill crusher at home.</p> <p>* My hospital allowed my wife to stay in my room for the two nights I was there. This was a good thing. If your hospital allows it, you might have someone stay with you after surgery.</p> <p>* Purchase the many types of (prescribed) Vitamins you will need prior to surgery. That way, you will not have to be chasing around finding them right after surgery.</p> <p>* You might schedule your surgery for Monday thru Thursday and avoid Friday. During the recovery, many surgeons are off on the weekends. I had my operation on Friday, and I was dealing with alternate staff during recovery.</p> <p>* Make sure you get plenty of sleep in the night or two before surgery. I had to get up once every two hours round the clock in the hospital to get my walking in.</p> <p>* In the beginning, you will be relying on Protein drinks and Vitamins. They will be keeping you alive. Given the small volume of meals, there is so little nutrition. When you are up-and-about town, you will need a form of Protein drinks that you can take with you. You cannot take your blender with you wherever you go. In my opinion the blending glasses that you shake do not mix as well as a blender. Later you can meet this need of an on-the-go protein supplement in the form of a Protein Bar. But at the beginning you cannot. So you might obtain a few super concentrated protein drinks for when you are out. One example is Protein Ice available at GNC. It has 42 grams of protein, zero carbs. In my opinion, it taste terrible, but my wife seems to think it tasted O.K.</p>

Thanks for the helpful tips!

Tomorrow is the big day...May 19th! I can't believe it is finally here. On the outside I am trying to appear calm, and collected. Inside, I feel a whirlwind of emotions. My surgery is scheduled for 9:00 am.

When I arrive at the hospital I will post my starting weight along with a picture, to begin documenting these changes!

I CANNOT WAIT! :)

Best wishes to everyone else who is undergoing surgery tomorrow! My prayers are with you :)