Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie viewpost.gif

Okay, so I'm ticker challenged. LOL! I created one, and tried to copy it and paste it where it says to upload, and it tells me invalid file.

I can't figure it out! What am I doing wrong. urrghh!

help.gif

Hello, Annie! I'm sorry this ticker-thing is giving you fits! They did for me, too, when I first tried them. It can be frustrating, to be sure!

The upload function is for uploading your picture to create your own avatar. Also, there are several types of codes for the same ticker. Which one you use depends on where you are using it. This site uses bbCode, so use that one. (On TickerFactory.com, it says "bbCode:

(Message Boards code, FertilityFriend.com's boards, phpBB based boards, Invision Power Board, vBulletin...".)

Here's how you do it here: Go to UserCP, Edit Signature, Paste the code directly into the text box and Save. If you have any more trouble, gimme a holler! Good luck!

Stef

Hello to all the Junebugs! I was banded on June 20 in San Antonio by Dr. Stegemann. I am feeling better everyday and looking forward to getting back to my new normal! My first fill is scheduled for July 6th. I wonder what the first fill will feel like? When will I be released to drive? How long before I can pick up my one year old? What about exercising? I am sure the doc went over this, but I was a little out of it at the time. OK...I was out in la la land.

This website is really great. I am looking forward to getting to know you all as time goes by. I know we are just supposed to be healing right now, but has anyone thought about a June bandsters challenge? Has anyone set any short term goals for themselves? Do tell!

My surgeon told me that I could drive when I was off the narcotics for pain control.

As far as picking up your child, I wish I could help, but it seems there each doc is different in their guidelines. Mine is pretty strict and says no bending, pushing, pulling or lifting anything heavier than 5lbs for at least four weeks. I would suggest you give your doc's office a call and ask your questions, they will completely understand that you were a little drugged when you got these instructions the first time.

I'm pretty stunned that you are getting a fill 17 days after surgery, the usual is a minimum of 4 weeks, and more often six weeks post-op before a fill. The reason is that the band is stitched on the front aspect of the tummy, but scar tissue has to form to secure it to the back side of the stomach. If a fill occurs too early before scar tissue has been fully formed, it can cause the band to move. But again, every doc is different.

My 2c - (gentle scold).

I reckon if you're put on liquids then you should stick to liquids. Clear Liquids and Protein Shakes would be so tough so if I had made up my mind that I couldn't take it anymore, I would cheat with diluted/strained pumpkin or Tomato Soup or juice of choice straight from the juicer or drinking yoghurt. Something with a liquid consistency. I'm not condoning breaking the prescribed diet at all, I'm just recommending not to eat food/mushies when you're on liquids. You can resist doing it if only your liquids are tasty. Curry powder is thy friend (or whatever else floats your boat). Try thin hommous in Tomato Soup with black pepper - heavenly.

I'm not perfect by any means. I'm bigger than most of you so am not renowned for my willpower. I sucked down 100g of dark chocolate over the weekend which is not really a good way to start a banded life. I cheated on pre-op a few times. Self-sabotaging behaviour for sure but there's no way I'd eat solid food before the doctor gave me the green light. I don't want to risk my band in any way.

Post-op seems so much more of a gamble, especially if your insurance won't cut it. I have to be my own insurance policy. Also, I don't want to re-live that post-op pain again.

I'm finding the mushies stage easy and enjoyable. I can still eat nice things, just digested in a food processor so my stomach doesn't have to do the hard work. Today, I had hot eggplant curry for lunch.

It doesn't seem to be the same with everyone but I felt really full after 1/2 - 2/3 cup and although I wanted more, I knew I couldn't fit it and that I needed to have the rest later later. It wasn't going anywhere. I've also been trying with the Water thing. It's not easy. However, I find that if my food has a lot of flavour, I don't feel deprived. The main hard thing for me is not being able to accept social invitations. I just don't want to until I can eat again.

I agree that it's frustrating to read that some people are allowed to eat from a few days out while others get liquids for 6 weeks. However, doing what your doctor orders produces far less anxiety. Let's face it, in a few months this part will be long behind us. We can do it!

Ooooh I can't wait to hear back from the remaining new bandsters. There are about 10 to go I think. Pipe up you lot and tell us how you're doing.

Thanks Faith, and Stefanie for the advice about the ticker, I got it to work finally!! WHooHoo!

Happy Monday Everybody!

Anne

Has anyone else been getting a lot of hiccups? I'm petrified they're going to mess up my band!!!

Pinch your earlobe (either one) between your thumb and first finger as hard as you can take it and hold it until the hiccups go away.

Just wanted to give you all an update....my first fill went just as expected. I found out I already had 4 ccs in my small AP Band. Anyway, I went and had to lay down, got a little numbing shot, then the tech used an X-Ray machine to get a good look at my port because it was tipped a little. After she got a good peek, she put 2 more ccs in my band. I couldn't feel a thing! :nervous

I had to stand at the X-Ray machine after that for the barium swallow test. I could feel it go down, then go down again to my stomach.....good restriction.

I'm at home and sipping a Protein Shake for the first time! I'm so excited. I just wish this feeling would stick. I'm afraid it may vanish in a few days.....;) Then I'll be back to the "no restriction" feeling....ugggh.

So my instructions are to be on full liquids today, soft foods tomorrow, then regular foods on Wednesday.

Piece of cake!

I know we'll all have different fill experiences. I can't wait to hear about YOURS! :)

Cheers,

Toni

Toni, so glad to hear the details of your first fill. Sounds easy enough. I go for mine in one week, July 2. I have been kind of anxious to hear what will happen. Did you talk to the Dr. at all, or just the technician?

Good luck, hope the fullness feeling sticks with you.

Glad to hear your fill went well Toni! That doesn't sound so scary!!! I think I have my first on July 18th.

I talked to my dietician today about my "slip up" this weekend. She said that was just fine! I told her that I had read about a lot of other patients that have to be on liquids for so long and she said that all the different doctors vary and some are just way more cautious than others. She said there was not reason why I shouldn't be able to move on to the mushy stage if my body is allowing it. Just not to eat too much! It will probably be a little while before I start trying meat like chicken or stuff like veggies. But for right now these mushies are heaven!

I can't believe I ate a container or cottage cheese for lunch and was full!!! Its amazing!

I do have a question though... I don't feel hungry but my stomach is growling like crazy! Its almost like a gas pain in my belly then it rummbles and feels better. Anyone else experiencing this?

Also, I have these almost burp/hicup "sensations" every once in a while. They don't really hurt, but are just weird!

Today is my first day back at work. I am a lot more tired than I thought I would be! I guess sleeping in this past week really got to me! But, I seem to be doing alright!

Thanks again for your support Toni and others! Its so nice to have everyone to talk to!

Hi all!! Here is a shout out to all the June Bandsters!!

OMG! My head is spinning, it is so hard to keep up with everyone.

Jenf3, bd_pgx, KimberlyNYC, 2bhealthyagain, Adventurerider, LadyHR, FaithMD, Annie, CarlaHopeful, Cblancha9 - Congrats to all of you guys! Best of luck to you all!!!

FaithMD - Congrats on your band! You have a gret idea with the prune juice & prunes. I totally forgot about the effects. I have been drinking Smooth Move herbal tea (Traditional Medicinals) & it helps. Prunes are good altenative.

Thinsoon - I was banded on Jun 5th and I totally understand about the hunger. I get my first fill on Jul 11th - I am hoping that the fill makes a difference.

CBM818 - The weight will come off - hang in there!

Toni - Woohoo!! Hey Ms. Toni, I am happy that your fill went well. This is what I am hoping for.

HottyToddy - I'm glad that you guys had safe and fun vacation!! I am having soft regular food envy - enjoy!

I had my first post-op dr's visit on Friday (Jun 22) and I am down 7lbs since the surgery (Jun 5). The dr. says that I am "ahead of the game" but I look at the weightloss some of you guys are having, I may be a skeptic. So in I have lost close to 20lbs since my pre-op diet. That leaves me 50 lbs to lose to meet the dr's goal weight for me - I'll just take it one day at time. He said my scars are "cute" - they literally look like small scratches. I go back for my first fill on Jul 11th. I've decided that I am not going to get on the scale until the 11th but I have set a goal to lose at least another 7lbs by then. My blood pressure was 130/64 (without meds) - I am aiming for a better reading my next visit as well.

I started back working out one week after the surgery - 45 mins on the elliptical for one week. The following week I went back to spin class (alternating with 60 min elliptical workout) and this past week I started back on circuit machines. I am being patient with weightlifting & ab work - it is a challenge.

I want to wish everyone that will be banded this week the very best & happy losing for all! Salud!!

Nina

I am curious about what everyones doctor said about driving....when I left the hospital the nurse said "several weeks" which blew me away.

I emailed my drs. office but haven't heard back.

Faith said her dr. said until she stops taking the painkillers (which makes sense to me).

What did everyone else's dr. say?