Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Janine - my fill went just fine. He put back 1.25cc, the Water went down fine - just paused a little bit. I had the inside of baked potato for dinner, ate very slow, and it went down fine. I hope to have good restriction this time, because I don't see him for a month. Thanks for asking! You are great at catching up with everyone!

Husband update - try not to hate him, I have to try very hard cause I live with him :-) He is down to 263 from 348, so 85lbs in 3 months! He will easily hit 100lbs by 4 months without one fill and no exercise. The trade off though is that he has all the issues with band, first bite syndrome, can't eat without something hot first, sliming (even without eating), and PBs. He loves it and is learning to work with it though, he wouldn't change a thing.

Hello, bandsters! It sounds like most are getting in better spirits here! YEA! Now we need to infect the rest...they are lurking out there somewhere! Come out, come out, wherever you are! WE WANT YOU!

My fill is tomorrow. Yesterday I said it would be today, but that was because yesterday I thought it was already Wednesday! Oh well! So I go in the morning. I've decided to stick to a fruit and veggie and liquid diet for the next week to see if I can get to my mini-goal of "one-derland" by the 31st. (I could LIVE on brocolli and brussel sprouts anyhow! I love them!) I have about ten pounds to go, but the scale isn't budging this last week at all!

Okay, this probably isn't "news", but it's the first time I ever saw it in writing, so I want to share. I was reading Woman's Day/Women's World/Women's SOMETHING, while I was getting tires put on my truck today. An article quoted one of their nutritionists saying that if you are restricting calories (I definitely DO, but not everyone digs that method), that after about a week, certain chemicals in your body set off the alarm that you are wasting away! So your body goes into "defense mode" and holds onto all the nutrients/calories/fat/everything that you eat and doesn't let your body burn them. So the answer to this is...and this is the really WONDERFUL part...the answer to this is to cheat one day a week! All day, whatever you want, as much as you want! This will "reset" your starvation alarm in your body. COOL, HUH? For you Pasta lovers out there, she said that carbs is a must on cheat day! Me? I HATE spagetti, but gimme a big ole' plate of Fettuccini alfredo and I'm your friend forever!

I think this is my problem...I'm NEVER going over 700 calories a day, but the weight loss is non-existent now. So from now on Saturday is my "cheat day", starting on the 25th. That way I can go out to dinner after church (Sat PM service) and eat whatever I want!

Suzzzie,

We're actually doing it here at work, at the newspaper. The new huge glass printing facility...in a large hallway. It is fun...something I probably wouldn't have done before...but I remembered how I liked the Richard Simmons Sweatin' To The Oldies workouts...and thought I'd give it a try.

I have a bad ankle...broke it in four places 6 years ago and developed a dystrophy in it. I thought the only exercise I could do was Water aerobics...but this isn't hurting my ankle any.

How are you doing?! We need to get together sometime.

Yes, we should get together! We've been banded for 2 months today! Kinda seems like I've had this band for longer than that somedays... Have you been to one of the support group meetings yet? I haven't been about to, but would like to go sometime.

My port site is still a really hard knot, I go for my 2nd fill tomorrow, I'm gonna make sure that the NP feels it and see if its normal or not. Lol. the swelling is all gone though.

Husband update - try not to hate him, I have to try very hard cause I live with him :-) He is down to 263 from 348, so 85lbs in 3 months! He will easily hit 100lbs by 4 months without one fill and no exercise. The trade off though is that he has all the issues with band, first bite syndrome, can't eat without something hot first, sliming (even without eating), and PBs. He loves it and is learning to work with it though, he wouldn't change a thing.

Missy, I think I occationally have that first bite syndrome. I was trying to eat a scrambled egg this morning and the first bite got stuck. I wanted to cry. And then tonight I went to Bucca di Beppo and ordered lasagne (OK, OK, I know its not good for me, but OH it was delish!) and the very first bite of it got stuck and my friend I was with was like "whats wrong?" when I told her (she's a medical student) she was all curious about what did I feel, and where did I feel the 'stuck' pressure. Its so crazy, and frustrating. My eyes filled with tears and I told her "This is what makes me have days when I quit eating." I think it took a few minutes to pass, then I managed a ew more bites before I gave up. Lol. Its not that I was full, just tired of the stuck feeling. And its all types of foods that do it to me.. and some days I have no problems with anything.

ANYWAY...

QUESTION FOR ALL:

Anyone who is focusing on Protein and limiting carbs, do you have problems with your blood sugar bottoming out? I do!!

It will just hit me all of a sudden when I least expect it. I get dizzy, instant feeling of being b*tchy, flashes of light or darkness behind my eyes, and a full body cold sweat. A few times it's happened at work and I've checked my glucose level and it's been down as low as 45. (Norm is 70-100) So this happened to me yesterday afternoon and I thought I was going to pass out. The only thing I had with me in my purse was some sugar free mints!! A friends ran and got me a snickers bar, which I only took a few bites of, cause I"m trying to avoid sweets.

I've always had problems with my blood sugar levels, I remember my first attack at around 9 years old, though at the time I didin't know what it was. I'm not a diabetic, I've been tested. Just curious if anyone else is having problems??

Suzzie - I definitely get that way and I am tired of it. It forces me to eat when I don't want to and I don't always make good choices. I get a headache, sweaty and very shaky if I go too long without eating. At certain times of the month it is worse than others, so I always related it to hormones versus diabetes or hypoglycemia. I think I have to keep my carbs at the level just above spilling ketones - between 40-60g for me. I know I feel worse and more sluggish when I have too many carbs also.

First Bite Syndrome - I really think that is a big reason my husband continues to lose. Once he gets stuck, he doesn't go back and eat more. A stuck for him means sliming and PBing almost every time. In the evening with enough coffee, he can usually get a full meal in even if the first bite feels a little stuck. I don't think I could stand that, but he seems to accept it and keep going.

I have the same problem. I notice that if I eat something fast even if it is small in size and/or portion and then try to eat a meal within 2 hrs, I experience fist bite syndrome. I also have no fill. I have had all of it removed. I believe that my esophogus was inflammed from the surgery and took longer than usual to heal. I am also unable to eat scrambled eggs. My Dr. told me that it's common. There are a lot of people that can't eat them.

This is the first I've heard of "first bite syndrome" but I'm certainly experiencing it. I'm anxious to hear more.

Question for all of you, what foods get stuck easiest?

Also, does having the "first bite syndrome" mean you don't need a fill? Sometimes I'm wide open and can eat tons. I would think with a 10cc band I need more than 4 cc.

If you get food stuck, do you quit or what?

Suzzzie and others; I went to my first support group at my hospital where 2 weight loss groups practice. the meeting was for banders only, those thinking of surgery and those who had it. I was disappointed in the meeting, really looking for answers and success stories. Instead I heard 20 minutes of surgery questions and an hour guest speaker on Yoga! I go to the gym, and know all there is to know about yoga. Maybe for those who are regular meeting goers and not exercers enjoyed this, but for me I was disappointed.

I met a woman there that I met on this site. That was the highlight of the evening. I think I get more from this site than anything. I may try the meeting again, to give it a fair shot, but not sure.

Bottom line; WE ARE ALL GREAT FOR EACH OTHER!:whoo:

Copied from August Excercise Challenge thread:

Well I just got back from having my third fill. She put .6cc in, so now I have a total of 4.6cc's in my 10cc band. Yes, Sweety, mine hurt this time, too! Not a big deal, just like a really bad shot. She said she hit some fibrous tissue she had to push through. So they took all the pics, she put a bandaid on me and I was out the door. I got pics again, of course! This one shows the band MUCH more clearly...you can see where the tube comes off and everything. Unfortunately, you also see my underwire clear as day! LOL I had no idea that the stomach was so high in the body! So that was my morning so far. I haven't tried to eat or drink anything yet, so we will see how this one goes. Have a good day, all...I'm off to work!

My husband can get stuck on anything also. He usually stops eating if he gets stuck bad enough to PB. If he waits and it moves on down, he can then usually finish what he is eating - VERY SLOWLY. I really think the trick is the old rules - small bites and eat slowly. He has been sliming and PBing from the beginning, so he didn't have any time to adjust. I notice when food goes down okay he has followed the rules.

My husband had severe acid reflux pre-op and had been taking prilosec for years. He had an upper GI last year that showed pre-Barrett's. He has a follow-up GI next Friday, so I will be interested to see what the doc says. He has had NO reflux since surgery and doesn't take his Prilosec anymore. I really think that is the cause of his issues.

I've had a bunch of stuff stuck (bread, rice) but the thing that gets me stuck the most is chicken. I almost threw up at a work lunch a few weeks ago (My biggest fear!). Thank god for my (strange) instinct to jump up and down a little in the bathroom to try to unstick it, or else I would ahve lose it!!

Oh I also wanted to add that the scale was stuck for me forrrrrever. I hadn't been working out, though. This week I've spent just 25 mns a day on the eliptical machine and have already lost 2 lbs.

Hey Junebugs!!!

I've been reading everyday, but haven't posted....I went to a support group last night and it was quite interesting. The topic was getting and staying on track (measuring success other than with the scale)...after her talk--the floor was opened to questions and answers. It was good to meet others who are on this same journey and hear their experiences.

I went for a second fill (so I thought). because I wasn't feeling restricted and was able to eat anything....as it turns out I already had 5cc in my 10cc AP band. (Dr. B. gave me some extra juice during the mediport revision)...so this actually turned out to be my 3rd fill---I received 1cc-----

Hope everyone is doing well!!!