Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Okay so we go to Chili's last night for dinner. I look over the menu and decide to get boneless buffalo wings. Now I know they have breading and I was having a creamy bleu cheese dressing, but I was only going to eat half. I was actually pretty proud of myself because I chose not to order a dinner, just the wings. As my husband said if you don't need it, don't order it. So I followed the rules - ate slow, chewed well, put my fork down and was full on half. Good for me - I thought. I brought the other half for lunch today - again full on 4 wings. So then I got the bright idea to go check the nutrition on my very yummy wings. OMG - if it would help I would throw them all up! Over 1000 calories, 85 grams of fat and 50 carbs! I can't tell how much of that is in the dressing because they don't list it separately, but that doesn't really matter because I had some dressing by itself!:):eek::(

Well lesson learned I guess or just accepted. I am counting this as my TOM binge (even though that was over last Friday) and will try to make better choices.

I am NOT getting on the scale until I see my surgeon for another fill next Wednesday. It has not moved in several day! I am mad that I had to get an unfill and confused about how much I should have put back in. I am tired of being hungry.

Enough ranting, this to shall pass I hope!

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I visited the site. I could tell you that I have been busy (which is true) or that I had a new grandaughter in July (which is true) but the real reason is that I have been so down and yes, it's because of very little weight loss.

Once I was allowed to eat a regular diet after the surgery, I discovered I could eat anything and that I wouldn't be like some of the folks who never needed a fill and lost a lot of weight quickly.

I was bummed. So then the fills started. My first fill was 10 or 11 days ago. Actually, it was the same day as my 1 month check-up.

I had a 1cc fill (4cc band) on a Tuesday. I called the office on the following Friday to let them know that instead of feeling fuller, I felt looser.

She explained that they just replaced air that was in the band with Fluid and I said "well fill'er up again." I went in that same day and he put in 1.4cc of fluid. Hardly worth the trip! So I called the following Tuesday to whine and I went back in today. He said he'll put in 1.6 cc of fluid. I said how about 2cc. He struted about doing the "I am man thing" so I stuck my head out the door when I heard my doc's voice and asked if I could have 2cc's PLEASE!

To my surprise, my doc came in and said SURE! I watched the whole time and the doc knew I was making sure I wasn't being skimped. He called me on it, I admitted to it, he laughed!

He also told me that it was OK to get frequent fills in the beginning because the goal is to use the band as a tool. So if this doesn't work, I'll call on Monday to schedule again.

The truth is my weight loss is so slow, it gets me down sometimes. Then I try to remind myself that my weight gain was never this slow and I could have gained 20 pounds in 6 weeks. If it continues like this maybe I will have lost 60 lbs by Christmas. Now that's a pleasant thought.

Thanks for listening. , Me:o

I got my first fill today. Everything went really well, only took about 15 mins. My doc would not tell me how much he put in, he said when he tells people how much he fills people start to worry about numbers and not really how the fill is working. I also found out that I have lost 14 lbs since the last follow up (4 weeks ago). so I am darn happy with my weight loss so far.]

Am I reading that you lost 89 pounds since June 28, 2007 without a fill?

I WANTA' LOSE 89LBS IN 6 WEEKS TOO!!

I'm getting "stuck" moments...not frequently, but two or three times a week. I don't know if it is because I'm not chewing right, or if it is because I have restriction. Again, I always feel it in my chest. Sometimes I PB, but it's pretty rare. Most times, it passes after an agonizing 5-15 minutes.

The reason for my question is that I would gladly go get another fill, but unsure about the signals my body is giving me now. Currently, I have 4cc's in my 10cc small AP band.

Any thoughts?

waters: No I did not lose 89 lbs in six weeks. I have lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks and the other 64lbs in the 12 weeks before that. I don't know anyone that has ever lost that much in 6 weeks. I don't even think that could be done.

Stephanie- Have you lost 36 pounds since surgery? That is amazing! I got a good fill this past week and I think I am finally feeling restriction. food does feel like it gets stuck and it can be hard to get food down.

Stephanie- Have you lost 36 pounds since surgery? That is amazing! I got a good fill this past week and I think I am finally feeling restriction. food does feel like it gets stuck and it can be hard to get food down.

Yes, this is since the day of surgery. I only had three days notice about my surgery, so no time for a pre-op diet at all. I'd like it if it were faster, though! Everyone wants the weight off faster, right?

Glad to hear that your fill is doing well for you. As long as you are comfortable and can get through the stuck moments, you'll do great!

Right now I'm working towards my mini-goal of getting below 200 by August 31. My weight seems to fluctuate wildly here in the last two weeks, though. Very frustrating, as it can fluctuate almost 3 pounds in one day sometimes. And I'm using a digital scale, for crying out loud! Who knows.

I think I am going to schedule a fill, knowing that if I don't chew well and wait between bites that I will be very sorry. Discipline. Anyone got any to spare? :help:

Stef I am not sure if you are chewing well enough or if the food is moist enough. Before my fill, which is weird, I had food stuck just as you are describing. I slimed but never to the point of vomit. From reading and talking to others, I am thinking you just need to pick the right foods and chew. If you were vomiting and getting stuck with every bite, then i would say no fill. But I am a one time filler rememember, with little restriction.

mj sorry about those wings. I knew they were bad, worse than a regular wing. But we learn every bite!

waters I had to laugh about you looking, if you read my fill post you will see I am doubting that my nurse put in what she said! I don't feel that different. I almost agree with the person who said her doctor would not tell her what he put in because we get caught up in the numbers and not the feeling. That is true. Big question, How are you feeling now?

Big loss...2 lbs! But the needle jiggles, I will take it!

Stef I am not sure if you are chewing well enough or if the food is moist enough. Before my fill, which is weird, I had food stuck just as you are describing. I slimed but never to the point of vomit. From reading and talking to others, I am thinking you just need to pick the right foods and chew. If you were vomiting and getting stuck with every bite, then i would say no fill. But I am a one time filler rememember, with little restriction.

Big loss...2 lbs! But the needle jiggles, I will take it!

It's true that things get stuck when the food is drier. Tiny sips of Water definitely helps.

Down another two pounds! Good for you! Don't you love it! You are doing awesome!

It is great to read about how well everyone is doing.

But, I was wondering if there is anyone out there that is unhappy with the way things are going for them. Maybe not losing any weight?

Do you feel like you have no restrictions at all. Obviously, that is how I am feeling. Am I alone?

I feel the same way and don't have any restriction yet. I am scheduled for my next week follow-up on Wednesday and hope that my Dr. will give me the OK for a fill. I am just as hungry now as I was pre-surgery.

I actually broke down crying to my boyfriend yesterday because I get so frustrated sometimes. I am trying really hard not to eat large quantities, but I don't get full if I only eat the small portions my doctor recommends at mealtime.

I see that others are already on their 2nd or 3rd fill and am jealous. This is definitely much harder than I thought. I prepared myself to make good food choices after surgery, but never thought I'd have to fight off hunger for so long. So far I feel as if I've been going at this alone... I really need the band to start doing its job!

I think it's not the number of fills but the amount the doc puts in. I'm lucky because by surgeon has the policy of getting people to adequate restriction asap (in 3-4 fills). Maybe your docs could be flexible in their fill policy. I can't imagine how annoying it must be. You have the band there, now you just want it to work.

Hope my post doesn't seem insensitive but wanted to report on how I'm doing.

Had a great weekend around a beautiful beach area and even went swimming a few times (T-shirt on still. Not that confident).

I have finally got around to exercising in the past week (not like me at all). I was surprised that it wasn't horrible (outdoor walking) and that it's easier to walk around now that I'm lighter. I know I am capable of walking several hours per day. I guess I just don't want to/can't find the time usually. I guess I work too much.

As I mentioned the other day, got my 3rd fill last Tuesday. To my surprise, it hasn't gone away at all. I definitely have good enough restriction (though the scales next week will be the real test).

I can only eat a little bit of food. It has to be cut up and chewed over a long time (30 mins). I find that morning and evening are hard to eat but lunch is OK. I try to get most of my nutrients at lunch. I've realis/zed that there is no point eating out as I'm not going to finish it and have to chuck it in the bin. It so strange because I've realised that a lot of my life/thoughts revolve around food. I'm not physically hungry (at all) but I still look around at cafes and food courts and shops wanting to buy and eat stuff. Then I realise I can't and get a bit annoyed and disappointed.

I keep putting normal sized portions onto my plate and can't finish them. Tonight I had some leftover soft eggplant (aubergine) and other vegetables. On the first bite, it became stuck. I have never had this so badly before. I was in a strange pain for 10-15 minutes and had to walk around. Warm Water did not help. It only made saliva, which came up a lot. I was burping and I finally brought up a little eggplant (not painful) and then a little more 5 minutes later. It was only soft food, I don't get it. Maybe it all clumped up or something. Too slimey? I ate it yesterday without difficulty. Now I'm having a cup of tea. No dinner for me! I guess all I can do is take note of what happened and try to figure out why.

Apologies for being so graphic. I now know what others are talking about when they say 'PB'. Not keen to repeat it, so will be extra-careful with food choices.

Hey Dawn I am with you. I have shed many tears lately about feeling nothing from my band. Still nothing after my first fill. I really need some help from my band too as so far it all feels the same as before. (me fighting not to eat and failing miserably) I knew the band was no miricle but a little something would do. It helps so much that others feel this way too, I am feeling very alone and miserable/hopeless right now. :)

Marga, I know it's hard but you'll get there. You just need a teeny little bit of saline. Ask your doc to reconsider.

On a positive note, I see your ticker. You're about to break into double digits Woohoo! It's the metric equivalent of Onederland.

i am depressed today. was banded 6/4/07, first fill 3 wks ago, no restriction. second fill 8/11, can still eat bread and pizza. second fill was 5.5cc in 10cc band whats wrong with me?

I feel your pain! It is so hard to have the band this long and not feel that it is working for you yet. I was able to get to my third fill and that has made a huge difference. I say, keep calling and letting them know you don't have restriction yet.

My first fill was saline, and when I went in for my second she said I had lost most of my first. She wasn't too concerned because it was my first fill, and I guess that can happen. I had my second fill and it was great for a day, and then I didn't feel much restriction. Usually they make you wait two weeks between fills, but I explained that I thought I had lost my fill. I was able to come in the next day and this third fill they did with omnipac and it is staying with me so far. What a difference!

It will happen, keep communicating with your doctor's office. I know many people have to wait longer for fills than I did and I know that must be so frustrating, but it will work out.

Keep us posted.

Stephanie- I am so impressed with your weight loss!