Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications

Ok, when i was doing my consult, i was asking about complications. Now they tell me that there is erosion, slippage.... They tell me its very low. When I ask what the doctor's rate is, it's almost like they got offended. She told me that it is the PATIENT'S fault if there is slippage and erosion. (I don't want to offend anyone, if you've had it removed and it's not your fault, this statement is probably upsetting). She said that it happens to people who don't follow the post-op diets and such. What do you guys have to say?

I think they should be honest and NOT rude when telling you their slippage-erosion rate. My doctor put it in his slideshow at the meeting we had to attend. Doctors should be honest, otherwise, what is he trying to hide? It's not all the patients fault by the way.

Ok, when i was doing my consult, i was asking about complications. Now they tell me that there is erosion, slippage.... They tell me its very low. When I ask what the doctor's rate is, it's almost like they got offended. She told me that it is the PATIENT'S fault if there is slippage and erosion. (I don't want to offend anyone, if you've had it removed and it's not your fault, this statement is probably upsetting). She said that it happens to people who don't follow the post-op diets and such. What do you guys have to say?

I'd venture a guess that most slips are the patient's fault. But erosion... considering nobody knows what causes erosion, it's not a safe bet to blame anyone including patients.

I just hope everything goes well...but yeah, you have to know what the worst can be, and if i can prevent the worst from happening, i will try my hardest.

I had the same reaction from my original band doctor when i asked about slippage. Lo and behold under one year later i finally went to a new doctor who found out my band had slipped and was very confidant (considering my history with the band) that the original band was not placed correctly. I followed all the rules and my problems started withing weeks of the original banding.

Do your research and make sure your confidant in the Dr who's banding you. Generally speaking, if u do have complications, I don't think the Dr your seeing now will be a great help.

Sorry if that sounded like a rant :straight

There are a good deal of people who were model bandsters and still had issues. That was a horrible answer to your question from your doctor, in my opinion...

my doctor said that the slippage is very low, but if I don't follow what the diet is that I can slip. He also said that throwing up can cause the band to slip.

HOw do you know that your band slipped?? PBing, lots?

Every since, I got my fill. I have had problems keep some things down. I don;t think it is the food, because sometime I am fine eating it. I'm at a point where if I'm having pain with food going down, if I just think about pbing, then I will throw up!!! I feel like my stomach is weak and easily gets nausated...... more than ever before. Any words or wisdom?? I am scared I'm causing future complications!!

i've just had a second larger band put in from an acute slippage.......and had a revision of my band in august from a "slight" slippage........i very much stick to the rules........when i asked my doctor if it were my fault all of this happened? he replied "don't you dare be beating yourself up for this, sometimes this just happens" .....i like to believe it isn't anything that i did.......just one of those freaky things....and bet yours is too! sheila

My slip rate is 1.6%. It's not a matter of who is at fault, it's just a fact and surgeons should be happy to volunteer this info.

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at www.TheBandDoctor.com

877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Can anyone tell me "definite" signs of slippage? i had a very bad vomiting episode last thurs, on a business trip--so i drank only liquids for 2 days. then, starting back on regular food--i don't feel the same restriction i had before--it seems i can eat more than i could before this happened. has my band slipped? i am going for an esophogram tomorrow morning. but i'm getting kind of upset now...what do they DO for a slipped band?? i have the 4cc type of band. i am not having problems eating any kind of food (of course, i've been VERY careful since last thursday--but still--i managed to eat, i think, more than i was able to. i feel like i might have just BURST the band off my esophagus==or popped the inside expandable part of it--who knows??

thanks for any insights or comments...

=girlinnyc

i've recently had a slippage.......my symptoms were rather mild.....or seemed to be in the beginning.......started out with reflux after falling alseep.....then increased with time to rather sever reflux(large amounts...projectile) after falling asleep.......then after several weeks, pain with even soft foods.......as the slippage increased(at least i'm assuming that's what was happening), 3 or 4 days before surgery, i was unable to eat anything but liquids like cream Soups, puddings.......etc....nothing seemed to be drastic at the time and everything took place slowly with me.....at the time i had no saline in the band.........from what i've read, sometimes just removal of the saline can reverse a slippage.....if not, then revision of the old band or a new larger band placed.

i've recently had a slippage.......my symptoms were rather mild.....or seemed to be in the beginning.......started out with reflux after falling alseep.....then increased with time to rather sever reflux(large amounts...projectile) after falling asleep.......then after several weeks, pain with even soft foods.......as the slippage increased(at least i'm assuming that's what was happening), 3 or 4 days before surgery, i was unable to eat anything but liquids like cream Soups, puddings.......etc....nothing seemed to be drastic at the time and everything took place slowly with me.....at the time i had no saline in the band.........from what i've read, sometimes just removal of the saline can reverse a slippage.....if not, then revision of the old band or a new larger band placed.

i did hear back from dr's p.a.=--and i'll go get esophogram tomorrow. yes, if it's slipped--i'll have the surgery to fix it. oh well. what a sad thought. (and what am i going to tell my boss??)

were you able to "recover" better the 2nd time? how long after your original surgery was this? hope you're doing well now and are all healed!

-girlinnyc