Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with transition between food stages

Hi everyone! I am 3 weeks post op today, and feeling great! My doctor says that by the end of this week I should be ready to transition to soft foods. Problem is, I'm a little scared!! I have been so super careful about everything I put in my mouth, and I'm afraid I'm going to hurt something internally if I eat the wrong thing.

So, any guidance from those of you who have done this transition before would be hugely appreciated! What things did you eat, how much were you able to tolerate, anything would be helpful. Also I'd love to hear what things did NOT work for you. Did certain foods cause you to vomit, or get "stuck", or just didn't sit right. Right now I'm on purees and loving refried Beans, yogurt, sf pudding, mashed potatoes, and still having a Protein Drink once a day.

Thank you!

Congratulations on your progress so far. I'm 6 weeks out as of today, what a trip. I was also very cautious transitioning to the next step. I was able to do scrambled eggs (added cheese and salsa after I was sure it would go down), cottage cheese with fruit cut up teeny tiny, to my refried Beans I added cheese and salsa, hard boiled eggs, Peanut Butter on toast (crust cut off). I also tried chicken which didn't work, it got stuck and hurt so bad for so long. I can now eat canned chicken with a bit of mayo, onions, salt and pepper, but I'm afraid to try regular chicken. I also tried fish, same problem as the chicken so I'm leaving that for a later date. If you haven't already you should check out "the world according to eggface" She has some great recipes for all stages. Try one new food a day so you can easily tell what works and what doesn't. You're going to revel in being able to chew food again, I never thought I'd miss something so simple. Best of luck.

Hi everyone! I am 3 weeks post op today, and feeling great! My doctor says that by the end of this week I should be ready to transition to soft foods. Problem is, I'm a little scared!! I have been so super careful about everything I put in my mouth, and I'm afraid I'm going to hurt something internally if I eat the wrong thing.

So, any guidance from those of you who have done this transition before would be hugely appreciated! What things did you eat, how much were you able to tolerate, anything would be helpful. Also I'd love to hear what things did NOT work for you. Did certain foods cause you to vomit, or get "stuck", or just didn't sit right. Right now I'm on purees and loving refried Beans, yogurt, sf pudding, mashed potatoes, and still having a Protein drink once a day.

Thank you!

I am 4 wks post-op and I made a mistake by eating a piece of bacon and trying a little salad I have been throwing up all night remember no beef or pork it does not break down I found out to late. stick to applesauce, and mushy fruit, mushy Beans make sure semi-solids are chewed until liquified. Keep your Protein 60-80gm a day.

Hi, I am 10 months out - so the transitions were a while ago for me. However, I was like you - VERY careful with what I ate in the beginning. Scrambled eggs or egg salad were big. Greek Yogurt and Greek Cottage cheese were also stapels. I also was able to eat tuna with some fat free Mericle Whip. I tried chili - but really didn't like it. I added powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder to everything to help get my Protein goal in.

Good luck! You are doing great!

Thanks so much for these ideas! They have been very helpful. This week I have had tuna with mayo, oatmeal, the soupy part of a chicken pot pie, and several purees that I'm not ready to give up. I made egg salad last night that I plan to eat on for several lunches. I also actually ate some spaghetti and meatballs for lunch yesterday, but not vvery much. I took it to work as leftovers, and had tiny bites of the meatballs mixed in with a lot of sauce. Ate super slow, and had no problems. It was so nice to have real food!! Gave me hope that things are healing well and I should be able to progress through these phases ok, as long as I take it slow. I also try to add Protein powder when I know I won't be able to detect it. I have developed a blech sensation whenever I smell or barely taste the stuff. I'm usually not a very sensitive eater, but for some reason it is not sitting well with me. Thankful for many other Protein options that have opened up!!

Tgarden, egg salad.? Not to sound to naive but it sounds good would you mind posting how you make it? Also for the spaghetti what kind of noodles did you use ? I had RNY and can't have any white flour carbs. Thank you for sharing.

Hey there lisavz! For egg salad, just hardboil several eggs. I usually use 4. Once cooled, grate them into a bowl with a cheese grater. Add light or ff may until creamy to your liking, then add about 2 T curry powder. Stir it all up and it is a great source of protein! I'm sure you could also add Protein powder for an extra boost.

As for the spaghetti, I actually used whole wheat elbows for my "spaghetti" this time. I don't regular spaghetti noodles would be a good idea right now, but I could be wrong. I overcooked the Pasta so it was nice and soft. I used an organic Pasta Sauce with no sugar, and ready-made low sodium, light meatballs from my grocery store. Lots of protein! My nutritionist said this was ok on the transitional phase to soft foods, but I'm sure Pasta of all kinds will be limited once I am on a regular food intake.

Thank you Tgarden for you tips this gives me ideas also as I make the transition. Tomorrow 05/08 will be 3 weeks for me post op. This will be good for me on maybe week 5 but gives me ideas now. :)

I have been extremely worried about transitioning. I was cleared for puréed food on Tuesday. I have tried cottage cheese and hummus. I want to try tuna but have been afraid. I didn't realize how hard some of this can be mentally. Thank you for this post.

Berlynn, the foods you mentioned above are NOT on the pureed list! Be super careful. Purees are like baby food. Not liquid, but no chunks of anything! Things like cottage cheese would be on soft foods. I think hummus is ok for purees.

Hi everyone, I'm 4weeks in & lost 30pds which is that about the same amt for the rest of u? I've been working, going to work, & working on my self employment (makong ediable chocolate favors) since the day I walk out surgery. Im tired ya!! I take all my vitamins& meds given to me but still kinda feel tired at rest. I'm sick of my shakes :-p & my powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup. Ill be honest I'm probably not eating enough but sneak in tadte from family meal that just gets me sick.

I have been eating cottage cheese, greek yogurt, sf pudding , homemade bean Soup & vetable pureed. Yesterday i made vegetable meldy w/fresh baby spinach/onions/garlic/scallions. Lunch-Made a mash w/it , then had it w/1oz of salmon. A piece of crakle barrel cheddar cheese, breakfast-I made a mini egg souffle in toaster oven w/1egg, spinach, Water, cheddar cheese. Snack-cottage cheese/yogurt. Ok now I'm eating soft foods I gained 2 pds :-/ I don't like this.

Ahh this is another instance where my program may be a bit different than others. My stage 3/ puréed stage consists of cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, fish or chicken canned. Fruits and veggies as long as they are the consistency of baby food. It's interesting how different each programs requirements are.

I add a little bit of mustard to my egg salad... As well as the mayo.. :-)

I add a little bit of mustard to my egg salad... As well as the mayo.. :-)

Actually, I do the same. Mustard is a freebie!

I'm 3.5 weeks out. I make sure that I introduce new things when I am not at work or going anywhere.

My week 2 I could have runny oatmeal and cream of wheat. Both were fine. I could have unsweetened apple sauces, mash potatoes, no sugar added yogurt (I ended up using Yoplait 100 greek vanilla) and cottage cheese (did not try). I was good with all of them and using the baby spoons really helped.

Week 3 I added scrambled egg, and canned tuna/salmon. I added a little light mayo and despite the fact that I don't like tuna, they were ok.

Week 4 I got to add soft Pasta and did mix the tuna with it which worked well. I also had a perogie since it's Pasta and mash potatoes. Flaky white fish is my big addition and I've tried it out several times. Not a big fish fan but trying to make it work. I can also have soft veggies, fruit, Beans etc this week. I'm also eating egg salad and boiled eggs now. And Hummus on a few crackers. My week 4, 5 & 6 are all the same.