Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. I'm 6 months out from surgery. I've lost 15 pounds since the surgery. I've had 4 fills and I have a total of 5.75cc in the 10cc band. I went for my 5th fill on March 27 but my Doctor wouldn't add any because I had lost 7 pounds since my 4th fill on 20 Feb. I knew I had lost due to the liquid/mushy I do for a few days after the fill. I had weighed the same since about 2 weeks after that fill so I knew I wasn't in the losing stage anymore. But, he wouldn't add anything. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with him. I'd like to ask him to just do a minor fill and get me to 6cc. I still weigh the same this morning as I did on my last visit with him so I haven't lost anything. However, this morning when making my lunch for work, I took a bite of tuna with mayo. Well, that got stuck. I PBd in the sink a few times and thought that was the end. I got in my car and drove to work and had that slime many of you speak of and kept spitting it out. Luckily, I had a container in the car. I finally got to work and had to pull over in the parking lot and I threw up green slime. It is my first real throw up incident. How can one tablespoon of tuna with mayo cause that? Now, I'm wondering if I should go through with asking for a fill tomorrow. I have been able to eat quite a bit lately and have stopped losing so I suspect the tuna just caused this and that a slight fill would still be ok? I don't normally throw up ever. Sometimes, I have a PB incident but I think that is caused mostly by me not taking small enough bites or eating too fast. I'm certainly not at the green zone because I think I could eat quite a bit if I didn't stop myself because I don't want to gain what I've lost. I haven't had a lot of tuna so I'm not sure if tuna might be a bad food for my band. I do notice my band seems tight in the morning so maybe that's why it affected me this way. Would you still go through with a slight fill? I want to get this weight loss rolling after 6 months. Thanks for the advice.

Edited by LapbandKAB

personally I think I would wait and see how you feel today before you get your fill. it could be your tuna or it could be you are just tighter in the a.m. I know I am so I drink warm stuff in the mornings and wait a bit on food. I surely would tell him what occurred this morning though...be honest with him even though you are concerned with being stalled. I am at that point too and far behind you (not losing much right now)...although I have kept down my food this morning...I know I ate too early. but you know what is happening to you so it is truly your decision. I wish you well sweetie...hope it is merely a little bump. do you usually eat in the mornings? let me know how the meeting with your doctor went okay? :)

Thanks for the reply. I normally don't eat in the morning; however, every now and then I've been known to sneak a little bite of what I'm preparing for my lunch and I've never had a reaction like I did this morning. I'm thinking it was because it was morning and the tuna just doesn't agree with my band. I'm almost afraid to even mention it to the Dr because based on how he was last time, I know he'd not add anything to the band. That's why I only want to ask him to add .25 which will take me to 6cc. I'm pretty sure I'm getting close to the band being at the optimum fill level. I'm still able to eat more than I should be eating though (especially as the day goes on), so I think a slight adjustment might kick things in. I'm gonna ponder it back and forth all day today. Should I, shouldn't I? I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again and good luck to you, too. It's not an easy road but I'm still glad I'm on it!

I am glad I am on this road too with folks like you as well!!! :)

First, tuna is dry and can be difficult unless it's mushed up and eaten in small bites. Most all of us experience tightness in the mornings and small bites of anything can cause a stuck episode so your tuna experience is quite normal.

I'm gathering by what I've read that you feel like you can eat a lot of food beyond bfast? This is true for almost 99% of us. The band is not designed to stop us from eating too much food. The bottom portion of our stomachs is still there and can accommodate mass quantities of food still. I can still eat several large wedges of pizza if I wanted to. The taste sensation can be an overwhelming feeling that some WLS patients never overcome.

This is where the band comes in. We look for those satiety signals(soft stops) such as hiccups, runny nose, burps to tell us that we no longer need to eat. Distinguishing between hunger and cravings is a very subtle fine line and needs your complete attention when eating. No one tells us this before surgery but from my experience and all I've read here, satiety awareness is the key to success.

Food tastes good. Try to see beyond the tastes and look for satiety. Protein first can help.

tmf

First, tuna is dry and can be difficult unless it's mushed up and eaten in small bites. Most all of us experience tightness in the mornings and small bites of anything can cause a stuck episode so your tuna experience is quite normal.

I'm gathering by what I've read that you feel like you can eat a lot of food beyond bfast? This is true for almost 99% of us. The band is not designed to stop us from eating too much food. The bottom portion of our stomachs is still there and can accommodate mass quantities of food still. I can still eat several large wedges of pizza if I wanted to. The taste sensation can be an overwhelming feeling that some WLS patients never overcome.

This is where the band comes in. We look for those satiety signals(soft stops) such as hiccups, runny nose, burps to tell us that we no longer need to eat. Distinguishing between hunger and cravings is a very subtle fine line and needs your complete attention when eating. No one tells us this before surgery but from my experience and all I've read here, satiety awareness is the key to success.

Food tastes good. Try to see beyond the tastes and look for satiety. Protein first can help.

tmf

A great response as usual tmf. We're lucky to have you on this forum.

Update. I went to my appointment this morning and had gained one pound since my last appointment which was 5 weeks ago. So, he gave me a slight fill of .5cc. So, I've got 6.25cc now. I took a few sips of Water and things seemed fine so I left his office. I've been doing liquids all day. I remember during the classes required before I had this surgery that they gave us a medicine cup to drink out of. They said that's how we'd have to drink with the band. Just small sips like that at a time. Until today, I've always been able to just drink like a non-banded person would but I often thought of that medicine cup. Now, when I take a drink, I can hear the gurgling sound from the band. So, I'm not sure if this means there's too much in now or if this is how it is supposed to be and I'll be closer, if not at, my sweet spot. Time will tell. I expect things to loosen up a bit as time goes on. I'm just glad he added some today. I didn't mention the tuna incident to him because I attributed that to the tuna consistency rather than my band being filled too much. I didn't lose anything in 5 weeks so clearly I needed more saline added.

Best wishes on this being your green zone fill! I can't eat in the morning either -- I'm just not hungry then anyway. And I've had that gurgling sound from time to time. Take it easy and go slow -- let things settle in and then look for those signs of satiety. For me there is a certain disinterest in whatever I've been eating. I start off thinking it won't be enough food but then I don't need the last few bites as I am, miraculously, satisfied. Yippee! If you're getting a vibe about tuna not being band-friendly for you, I'd follow that intuition. And you can try it again later on and it may be fine. The band can be fickle! But it sure does mean it when it's saying no. Sorry you had that stuck episode. I've had several now -- most recent was eating leftover salad as I was cleaning up after a dinner party. In the old days I'd always pick at the rest of the salad and I just sort of forgot that I can't shovel salad like I used to be able to!

I just received my 2nd fill and I'm afraid that something isn't right. I am on the 4th day after.. The day I'm supposed to be able to have mushy food. But I've had trouble just sipping Water without feeling like I'm going to throw up.. Or my stomach grumbling..I'm really scared. I threw up after the fill when I tried to eat broth on Thursday. Friday and Saturday I was able to drink very little and by the end of the day was able to have a few teaspoons of Soup with no chunks. Today Sunday haven't been very successful with anything but a few sips. I tried scrambled eggs and threw up after two teaspoon fulls. I want this to work so bad but I can't imagine I can survive with no food at all. The good thing is I'm not hungry but the bad thing is I don't have energy and don't feel that great. Feeling like I'm losing the battle and a bit of a failure!

It sounds like you might be too tight. I had the same thing happen and I gave it a week and had him take out 1/4 of the 1/2 fill he did. It was much better and at perfect restriction.

It sounds like you might be too tight. I had the same thing happen and I gave it a week and had him take out 1/4 of the 1/2 fill he did. It was much better and at perfect restriction.

Thank you..I'm going to call tomorrow

I just received my 2nd fill and I'm afraid that something isn't right. I am on the 4th day after.. The day I'm supposed to be able to have mushy food. But I've had trouble just sipping Water without feeling like I'm going to throw up.. Or my stomach grumbling..I'm really scared. I threw up after the fill when I tried to eat broth on Thursday. Friday and Saturday I was able to drink very little and by the end of the day was able to have a few teaspoons of Soup with no chunks. Today Sunday haven't been very successful with anything but a few sips. I tried scrambled eggs and threw up after two teaspoon fulls. I want this to work so bad but I can't imagine I can survive with no food at all. The good thing is I'm not hungry but the bad thing is I don't have energy and don't feel that great. Feeling like I'm losing the battle and a bit of a failure!

Oh my dear girl...you are not a failure and you're not losing the battle. It sounds like you are too tight. Glad you are calling the doctor tomorrow.

dlo I agree I think you might be a little tight...call your doctor it will make you feel so much better!!! and like everyone has said you are not a failure...failures would want the band out and live a life of misery. You are staying with it...so get some saline out and I bet you will be boasting about how well you feel in just a few days!!! Hang in there girlee!!!

Hey LapbandKAB how are you feeling any better? been thinking about you!!! let us know-okay?

Dare I say I might have reached the sweet spot? This is the first time since surgery that I feel a restriction of sorts. I'm eating small amounts of food, Protein first. But, I feel as though I am stopping when I'm supposed to, whereas before, I know I could have kept on eating. I went away for the weekend and it was my first test of being on a mini-vacation while trying to eat healthy. It's amazing how much of our lives revolve around social eating! I did pretty well. Mostly, I ordered Soup or a small appetizer. For instance, I know mozzarella sticks are not the most healthy of foods, but I needed Protein and figured it would be soft. I don't want to have 'stuck' incidents while at a restaurant. So, I ate two and packed up the rest for the hotel fridge. Normally, I would have sucked them all down at one sitting without a problem. I'm happy I did this finally! I'm cautiously optimistic that I'm in the green zone. I still hear gurgling sounds from the band but I can live with that. When I hear that is when I stop eating. Could that be my signal?

I hope you're doing ok, dlo.

Edited by LapbandKAB