Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else starting to have people saying " youre getting to skinny..Youre at the perfect weight now..DONT lose anymore weight...???

Some people have started saying this to me. (Very few people know I had surgery) But I'm 5 ' 2 and 154lbs. I'm still 20lbs away From my Maximum weight of 135lbs...Im suppose to be 104-135.

Now call the bmi scale what you will. personally I feel fine at 154lbs but my surgeon seems to think i will lose another 20lbs over time.

I tell people I enjoy exercise and eating healthy and my body will do what it wants with that. And thats the truth. would I like to see the scale bacl at my high school weight of 135lbs,,sure...I didnt to all this to still be 20lbs overweight, now did I.

My main goal now is replacing any fat with lean muscle. I am enjoying my new life style and hate that people have to be negative about it.. Anyone else experience this??

Just over the last week I've had three people say something like "you aren't going to lose any more weight, right? You look like you are at goal" and then when I say yes, I would like to lose 25-30 more lbs, express horror and say they don't know where it would come from. And these are people who are good people, who care about me, not trying to sabotage, be jealous, etc. So . . . I'm currently wearing a size 12, I need to lose 25 more lbs to be a normal BMI -- I don't think it's unreasonable to want to lose a bit more. And I can certainly see where the weight would come from! It makes me feel kind of weird and self-conscious about wanting to lose more weight when people talk like that. But I just try to take it as a reminder of how far I have come. I think we just look so radically different to people that they have trouble adjusting.

Yes..several people told me that I look good at my current weight. But I want to lose another 15 pounds. I really don't pay much attention to these comments..it is what I want for myself and at what weight I can maintain my weight. I am 5 feet 2 and 150 lbs is my goal.

So far, I've only had the "pleasure" of having one more tell me that I needed to stay at the same weight. She's much older and while not obese, she's on the heavier side. When she asked me how much more weight did I plan to lose, I shrugged and said "I dunno, maybe 10 - 20 more lbs" and she looked disgusted and goes, "WHY? No you're fine like you are".

Um...yeah, I'm 5'6, 172 lbs and my BMI is still in the obese range. Plus, it's MY body and I want to get down to 150 lbs so I can be in the normal range, plus I used to weigh 150 lbs in high school and I was far from emaciated looking.

I have had some feedback like this too. And since my BMI still says I am 20 pounds over "normal" I ignored it. However....I just got my BF% done and I am in the ideal range for my age now. I am 5-10, 193 pounds which seems very large. But I am 25% BF and the range for my age is 19-28%. So the people saying I am fine as I am may be right! I still want to get in the 180s but I won't stress over it or worry about a Normal BMI anymore. So befor picking a final goal weight get a good BF measurement. You may already be at goal. And those people may possibly be seeing what we cannot in the mirror. (Possibly)

Oh, ha ha! I had people telling me that PRE-OP. You're too skinny to have surgery (Really? I'm 5'6" topped out at around 260 and was 254 when I joined the Kaiser Bariatric Program). I started hearing "don't lose any more" around 180 lbs, but I just kept going till I got to MY goal of 135.

There's lots of possibilities. One, I think we do look gaunt in the face as the weight drops rapidly, esp. if your hair thins too, which mine did. Two, people are used to seeing you supersized, so approaching normal looks really thin to them. Three, some people just don't want you to get thinner than they are.

Whatever, do what's best for you and keep smiling.

Lynda

Obesity kills...even if its just 40 lds ....ive been 75 lds over weight. Now im 40. This year,,my knees back hand and feet are filled with arthritis....not tot mention I am hyperthyroid..and am on cholesterol meds..two years ago I was 20 ponds thinner...at 57. U can figure out what my health destiny would be if I didnt take this journey. At best ill meet goal 145.....stop cholesterol meds..,and take the pressure off my limbs..,at worst I will have stopped the progress of a higher bmi. Higher weight and improved my quality of life..win win. i think. But hope for my goal weight!

Oh, ha ha! I had people telling me that PRE-OP. You're too skinny to have surgery (Really? I'm 5'6" topped out at around 260 and was 254 when I joined the Kaiser Bariatric Program). I started hearing "don't lose any more" around 180 lbs, but I just kept going till I got to MY goal of 135.

There's lots of possibilities. One, I think we do look gaunt in the face as the weight drops rapidly, esp. if your hair thins too, which mine did. Two, people are used to seeing you supersized, so approaching normal looks really thin to them. Three, some people just don't want you to get thinner than they are.

I think you're right about the thinning hair and looking drawn out a bit...especially if they don't know u had surgery. .probably think we're starving ourselves or sick..lolol. well I feel great and am healthy as van be!!

Whatever, do what's best for you and keep smiling.

Lynda

I am just starting out but I keep hearing people tell me, "Don't lose to much." but I have noticed that comes from my friends that are over weight by 20-30 lbs... so I am taking it with a grain of salt. I know they don't mean to be catty but I am sure they would feel lazy if my Fat Butt got smaller than them. But nothing will stand in my way, I am going to keep working out and eating healthy, I am not going to let my weight, either high or low, stop me from being the healthiest me I can be.

Yes, hear it a lot. I have 15 lbs to go. My sister (overweight herself) assures me I will look terrible at 125 lbs. take it with a grain of salt.

My husband had that happen after his gastric bypass about 8 years ago. People kept telling him "You're too skinny!" When he went to his bariatric doc for a check up and told him what people were saying, his response was "There are so many overweight people right now, they don't even know what a "normal" weight looks like anymore"....

Um...yeah, I'm 5'6, 172 lbs and my BMI is still in the obese range.

I believe your BMI is around 27, therefore overweight not obese.

OMG! I can't wait to hear this! (I'm about 75lbs away from hearing that.)

Funny. . Before surgery we can't imagine being told were too thin.

But now people say it with that look of concern on their faces

and it kind of pisses me off. . It's my body. . None ever tells yiu

when you're fat. .. don't gain anymore weight. .lolol.I guess its always

something. . Most important is to be as healthy as we can

I think our bodies know best which weight we level off at...

I think a few of you have hit it on the head! People don't know what is healthy looking anymore because so many people are over weight, also No one would ever say, 'You're too fat!' but people tell me all the time, "You're too skinny!" Some say it out of worry (my dad) some say it out of jealousy or mean spirited or spite, but what ever the reason it's inappropriate. I eat healthy, take Vitamins, work out. I eat plenty of calories and I have never had a doctor tell me that I need to stop losing weight (but I have stopped sadly, but it's what's meant to be) or tell me that I am too thin.

It's sad that we have to hear things like this, I love the people who can see the whole picture and see how happy I am and leave their negative comments unspoken, no matter if they come from a good-hearted concern or otherwise.

It's like the stereo type that Asians are good in math, it might not be a 'bad' stereo type, but leave it alone. Its not nice to judge people based on biased information!!